REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Stretch tires and negative camber, is that illegal? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/639825-stretch-tires-negative-camber-illegal.html)

Leung_Dog 03-11-2011 04:30 PM

Stretch tires and negative camber, is that illegal?

Hey guys,

My car got a vi and its flush with stretched tires and camber is that illegal?

Berzerker 03-11-2011 04:32 PM

It doesn't matter if it's illegal or not you got a VI and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it.

If the tires are stretched and beyond what the manufacturer recommends then yes... it's a fail. If the tires touch the fender, it's a fail.

Berz out.

s300ae 03-11-2011 05:04 PM

MVA: Division 7

Wheel alignment

section 18:

Side slip of the front wheels shall not exceed 9 m per 1.6 km as measured on the alignment gauge.

The caster, "camber" or toe-in of a vehicle shall not be out of adjustment to the extent that it is apparent visually.

if an officer deems your car unsafe to drive, you are fucked.

Rich Sandor 03-12-2011 10:22 AM

There is no specific empirical measurements for the limit of tire stretch or camber or toe. It's all subjective, based on whether or not the officer feels the vehicle is unsafe to operate.

A safe 'rule of thumb' is that is the tires would rub against the fender lining if you hit a bump in the road - it's illegal.

Lets see a pic of the car.

G-spec 03-14-2011 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s300ae (Post 7339327)
MVA: Division 7

Wheel alignment

section 18:

Side slip of the front wheels shall not exceed 9 m per 1.6 km as measured on the alignment gauge.

The caster, "camber" or toe-in of a vehicle shall not be out of adjustment to the extent that it is apparent visually.

if an officer deems your car unsafe to drive, you are fucked.

the part about the camber being being adjusted to the point where it's visible by naked eye is that for real s300?

if so what a moronic rule, for example the higher model BMW X5's with the super wide 325 series tires are running at least -2 camber in the rear, i can spot that with my naked eye, and it comes that way from the factory! can't stand double standards, really grinds my gears

and Berzerker your point of stretching beyond manufacturer recommendation, I guess to put it in perspective my OEM tires are 225 front and 245 rear... so i mean me for example year my tires are stretched a bit, but for fcks sake i'm running 255's in the front and 285's in the rear, so that's a LOT more tire than even OEM specs..... there is no way a cop can use that argument against me for example for obvious reasons..
the tires hitting the fenders definitely hear you on that one, that shit is dangerous

s300ae 03-14-2011 10:50 PM

g-spec,

its all about the officers' discretion.
if he wants to nail you for something, or has no real ground to pull you over, he can do it for camber.
same goes if once pulled over for something else, and youre a complete dick to the officer, he can pile on a few tickets including the visible camber.

now, ive been pulled over frequently, but no one has made a comment about my camber yet. the MVA is too large to know every single infraction.

now, given your argument it comes from the factory like that, you will be correct. if you can prove that, you will win the ticket. however, not a lot of cars come with camber from the factory.

jing 03-14-2011 10:53 PM

I thought the rear camber on the X5's was cus of noob drivers lulz
Posted via RS Mobile

zulutango 03-15-2011 05:37 AM

Want to talk about negative camber...take a look at the Triumph Spitfires from the 60's and 70's. The rear wheels tucked in when unloaded and spread out when heavily loaded.

skidmark 03-17-2011 06:18 PM

Old Volkswagen Beetles did that too.

Soundy 03-17-2011 07:19 PM

VIP!

underscore 03-17-2011 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-spec (Post 7344529)
the part about the camber being being adjusted to the point where it's visible by naked eye is that for real s300?

if so what a moronic rule, for example the higher model BMW X5's with the super wide 325 series tires are running at least -2 camber in the rear, i can spot that with my naked eye, and it comes that way from the factory! can't stand double standards, really grinds my gears

and Berzerker your point of stretching beyond manufacturer recommendation, I guess to put it in perspective my OEM tires are 225 front and 245 rear... so i mean me for example year my tires are stretched a bit, but for fcks sake i'm running 255's in the front and 285's in the rear, so that's a LOT more tire than even OEM specs..... there is no way a cop can use that argument against me for example for obvious reasons..
the tires hitting the fenders definitely hear you on that one, that shit is dangerous

it's not about the tire width, it's about the sidewall stretch. If the sidewall is stretched too far then it can be illegal.

fsy82 03-18-2011 11:25 AM

just put stocks on and get your vi done what you do after that is your business and at your own risk to getting a vi again

s300ae 03-18-2011 11:38 AM

That's how it works for other million mods. Always good idea to keep the oem parts in such cases as this.
Posted via RS Mobile

zulutango 03-18-2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fsy82 (Post 7350588)
just put stocks on and get your vi done what you do after that is your business and at your own risk to getting a vi again

A second VI, very likely a #1, a tow job, VTs for the defects and VTs for failing to maintain to standards as well. You try to play around and get caught and you pay the piper.

Gee.Tee.Ar 03-18-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 7350924)
A second VI, very likely a #1, a tow job, VTs for the defects and VTs for failing to maintain to standards as well. You try to play around and get caught and you pay the piper.

gotta pay to play =)

zulutango 03-19-2011 06:46 AM

Oh...I forgot one final thing.....you then post on RS about how the Cops profiled you and are just a bunch of @#$%^&* !!!!