REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Nissan / Infiniti Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/nissan-infiniti-tech-resources_312/)
-   -   General Question on G35 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/640786-general-question-g35.html)

ruaphool 03-22-2011 06:31 PM

General Question on G35

Hello,

I'm about to purchase a car within the next 2 or 3 weeks and the G35 is one of my considerations. I'm mainly looking at Coupes and an Auto transmission.

I'm just wondering if anyone can answer a couple questions I have

1) how reliable are they?
2) Are maintenance and service costs high?
3) How bad is fuel consumption in general?
4) Are the changes between 04 and 05 huge? (I know they switched off the brembos cuz of the high wear and tear, is that a huge issue for the 04's?)

I'm just planning to own the car just for day to day use. No modding whatsoever.

Thanks

sundance1911 03-23-2011 11:20 PM

As a 2005 G35 Coupe automatic owner, I can answer much of your questions:

1) My G35 auto is extremely reliable. Nothing requires your attention beisdes regular oil change.
2) service cost was lower than I expected. You can also bring your car to a Nissan dealership for maintenance and its much cheaper there...Since G35 shares many parts with Nissan cars you can often find the same parts in Nissan dealerships with cheaper prices.
3) Fuel consumption is one of the major drawback. When G35 Coupe came out in 2003 the gas price wasn't a major concern for most of the people and Nissan obviously didn't place too much emphasis on frugality. My car returns 17L/100 in city and sometimes even higher, and its recommended that you use at least 93 octane for it. if gas price is a major concern then G35 is probably not the best choice for you. However I gotta say the sheer power will defintely outweigh any concern on gas price once you step on the pedal.

4) changes between the year are major. Interior was hugely different as far as I know, the newer interior is much more luxury, and the wear and tear is more severe.

go for 2005 or after if you are looking for a G35.

Leopold Stotch 03-25-2011 11:26 AM

2004 Manual with the Brembos

1) Mine's very reliable, only issues I had were the normal ones that almost everyone has, door lock actuators not working and the power window motor dying.

2) Maintenance is cheap, all maintenance materials or w/e is like any other japanese car. the more expensive main parts are probably the brake, but you can get some decent stuff online pretty cheap

3)Fuel consumption isn't good. it's pretty bad i think, but it's a 3.5L V6 Nissan engine in a 3500 pound body, and sorry sundance1911 it doesn't require 93, 91 is fine unless you're tuned for something else. my car gets around 15L/100 km

4) Changes between these two years are pretty noticeable. The interior is completely redesigned in the 05. The 04 has the option of brembos, the reason they got rid of the brembos is sort of because of the high wear, but the non brembos wear quickly as well. so the 05 has redesigned brakes and they're bigger than the 03-04 non brembos.

for the Manual. you get the Rev UP motor which has 298hp and 260 torque? compared to the 03-04 and the 03-07 autos with the non rev up 280hp and 280ish torque. The autos in the 05's and up are nicer too, i forgot why in particular, they just are.

with many rev up motors, they may have issues with oil burning and there is a 6 year warranty to get it fixed, so if you do get an 05 rev up, go to an infiniti and get it checked.

honestly the brake issue isn't enormous, but it's a noticeable difference compared to like civics or accords or something.

day to day car that you wont mod? try and get a 06 or 07, if not a 05 is a nice upgrade over the 03-04's

m_grewal52 04-20-2011 09:18 PM

3 weeks into owning my 06 mt6 coupe and I'm am pretty hAppy thus far. Fuel consumption right now is about 14L/100kms but I expected far worse. You should buy one... Highway on ramps have never been more funner!
Posted via RS Mobile

6insomnia9 04-20-2011 10:39 PM

1. As you heard from 3 other G35 owners, the car is very reliable , besides oil changes nothing much is needed.

2. Oil changes are cheap depending on the oil you use and who you take it to, i pay about 105 after everything including labor charge, that is with Royal purple and K&N oil filter.

3. 91 octane is good enough, I only go to shell because it does not contain ethanol. Prepare for the $85 a tank and raising.

4. The only noticeable change from the 05 to the 04 is mostly the interior.
They stopped making brembo after 2004 and if you want a g35 in white exterior and black interior, 2004 is the last year they made it and it is rare.

2004 G35 interior
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/i...EInterio-1.jpg

2005 G35 Interior
http://carpassion.ca/images/generati...Coupe_Int2.jpg

TundraShift 04-21-2011 08:11 AM

That 2004 G35 interior example looks to have an aftermarket nav. It comes stock with a radio face similar to 2005.

I have a 06 6mt and have been very happy, and agree with what the others say. MPG is the main downside, but that's expected. Regency Infiniti in NorthVan are great to work with (my car is still under warranty). I'd recommend picking up a later year with low miles.

izzue.hk 04-25-2011 10:27 PM

I have a 2005 6MT with the REV UP motor.

Only problem I had was the oil consumption problem. But it was under warranty so I got a new motor free!! :D

m_grewal52 04-29-2011 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by izzue.hk (Post 7408217)
I have a 2005 6MT with the REV UP motor.

Only problem I had was the oil consumption problem. But it was under warranty so I got a new motor free!! :D

I'm paranoid thats going to happen or is happening to me wheres the best place to take the car to get it checked out?

izzue.hk 05-03-2011 11:44 PM

I took mine to Autowest Infiniti, but some people would prefer Regency Infiniti. Its all up to you. Just keep an eye for your oil level. You should check your oil at around 4500kms since last oil change.

Also, are you on G35driver? They have a TSB bulletin for this, it tells you how to see if your engine is burning oil badly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by m_grewal52 (Post 7413623)
I'm paranoid thats going to happen or is happening to me wheres the best place to take the car to get it checked out?

ToneCapone 06-23-2011 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by izzue.hk (Post 7419915)
Just keep an eye for your oil level. You should check your oil at around 4500kms since last oil change.

Thanks for bringing this up, I was going to mention it as well.

VQ35DE Engines have a very highly discussed issue with it burning oil. Google "g35 oil consumption" and you will get pages full of horror stories. I'd say dont let it scare you off just pay attention to your oil levels as well as do lots of research.

For all the g35 drivers who said their G is very reliable..... Have you guys had issues with this at all?

bigzz786786 06-23-2011 04:17 PM

oil consumption isnt an issue with the auto's for 05 +

i would get an 06 coupe with sport package

owned an 06 auto since it first came out and sold it this year, never any issues except for the recalls (headlight adjustment and airbag)

ToneCapone 06-23-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigzz786786 (Post 7487770)
oil consumption isnt an issue with the auto's for 05 +

Any idea what they changed that could have rectified the issue?
I ask cause my 02 Pathfinder is burnin and I am trying to find out why. There is so much info on this but unfortunately no solid solutions on why this could be happening. :(

bigzz786786 06-23-2011 07:05 PM

There is a tiny leak in the engine itself from the older models, it's completely un fixable, the newer g35's basically had that leak fixed when the motors were made, but either way, I think all 5at's don't have a major oil consumption issue, a few of my friends with the older 5at haven't had a oil issue on there's, I think it only applied to the rev-up motors(6mt)
Posted via RS Mobile

pk_volt 06-23-2011 09:45 PM

I've been doing a lot of research on the 350Z, and I know they share the same engine/transmission as the G35.

[1] 2003 models suffer from transmission grind on 6spd MT when shifting into some gears
[2] 2003/2004 Fuel Hose Recall TSB
[3] some of 2005 and all 2006 models with 6spd MT have the rev-up engine, which are notorious for high burning oil consumption. There's a way to tell by the look of the engine header/gasket or some shit to tell whether it has a rev-up engine or not.

I've heard 2007+ is the best year to buy because nissan/infiniti worked out all the kinks and has the best engine/transmission combo.

Please don't be discouraged from buying a G35 from my findings however. All my findings are from forums where people post problems. And ofcourse, people only post on those forums when they have problems! But I do hope this helps prevent you from buying a lemon.

BTW... GET A STANDARD TRANSMISSION INSTEAD!!!!!!

But a question to G35/350Z owners. I test drove a 2003/2004 (forgot which year) G35, and it was f*ck'n fast! And when I floored it, the the engine "nismo" sound was sooooo sweet.

But when I test drove a 2003 350Z, the engine sound was more "raw" and didn't sound as good as the G35. I don't know if the G35 I test drove had modifications, but does anyone know if there is any sound difference between the two?

bigzz786786 06-23-2011 10:04 PM

^fyi, revup motors were on the manual transmission VQ's ONLY, and the revups had the brembo package too

05+ 5AT won't have the oil burning issue and ALL 5AT g35's are non-revup

pk_volt 06-23-2011 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigzz786786 (Post 7488130)
^fyi, revup motors were on the manual transmission VQ's ONLY, and the revups had the brembo package too

thanks for the clarification. I've edited my post to avoid confusion

6insomnia9 06-23-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigzz786786 (Post 7488130)

This is true.

i<3RWD 03-22-2012 06:42 PM

check for sprokets chain timing along with valve timing and make sure the vq does not misfire. clutches on them are a fortune.

jing 03-22-2012 08:17 PM

Is the Rev-up motor the same as the HR?

chris_89T 05-21-2012 03:12 PM

The G coupe didnt change a whole lot in its run. Id personally skip the 03-07 and save up for a G37 coupe. Much nicer vehicle. Exterior is subjective but no one can argue about the interior. Interior in the G37 is ten-fold improvement from the 03-07 coupe.

Id say on a general basis in my experience, its not just the rev-up engines that burn oil...its all the 6spds in general. The auto's seem to either burn much less or maybe the people who drive them just dont beat on them as much, but take it from someone whos worked on many of them lol.

Id buy an 05 because the interior got some updates, id pass on the brembo's because i saw a comparo done by a third party company and the non brembo's stopped like a couple feet worse than the brembos. Also if you go to a dealer and you need front and rear brakes your looking at about $3500, rotors and pads..

Reliability wise theyre prettty good, i actually havent really seen many issues with them aside from the rear calpers seizing up, usually it seems to be the right rear then later on down the road the left rear will seize lol.

Fuel consumption flat out sucks.

general maintenance is no different than a 350z, but some of the parts are infinti only and dont cross reference over to nissan. My experience with infiniti dealers is good luck getting any sort of discount..

chris_89T 05-21-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E-ternal-3 (Post 7487884)
Any idea what they changed that could have rectified the issue?
I ask cause my 02 Pathfinder is burnin and I am trying to find out why. There is so much info on this but unfortunately no solid solutions on why this could be happening. :(

Nissan has always had issues with the 3.5 in general whether its FWD or RWD.

The 01-04 Pathfinders are a hit and a miss. Some burn a liter every 1500KMs some wont burn any between oil changes. You'd be surprised the amount that come in for oil changes that have maybe 1-1.5 liters oil in them. Your timing chain probably rattles too, i can count on one hand the vq35 pathfinders that dont have any chain noise..maybe 3-4 in 8 years.

I think out of all the 3.5's the Muranos are the worst. I dont know if its just the way the CVT loads up the engine low rpm, cuz the ping the most out of any 3.5 ive driven.

In the FWD's a common thing to happen is the pre-cats will start to fall apart and get sucked back into the engine and score the cylinder walls, which ended up resulting in high/excessive oil consumption. Cats are covered up to 8yr 130K but the engine is only covered to 5yr 100k, so there were a lot of pissed customers.

gthirty5 12-10-2012 08:51 PM

mine burns oil too (05 g35 6spd) but its not so bad.. just keep an eye on the level..

gangnam style 06-28-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m_grewal52 (Post 7413623)

HI,
Your local infiniti dealer is the place to get it checked. also ask what warranty has been done to the car (like engine if it was done). only manual transmission burns oil. i would suggest not older than model year 2006

gangnam style 06-28-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigzz786786 (Post 7487910)
There is a tiny leak in the engine itself from the older models, it's completely un fixable, the newer g35's basically had that leak fixed when the motors were made, but either way, I think all 5at's don't have a major oil consumption issue, a few of my friends with the older 5at haven't had a oil issue on there's, I think it only applied to the rev-up motors(6mt)
Posted via RS Mobile

I don't know exactly what you mean by small oil leak that is un fixable. this engine are solid and don't usually leak but it does use oil( only on manual trany) and that includes manual sedans

SoulCrusher 06-28-2013 06:07 PM

Both the posts you responded to are from 2011.
Posted via RS Mobile