REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 03-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Shifting foundation?

This is the granite at the entrance of my place:

As you can see, a huge crack has developed over the past few years. House was built in 2002 and I moved in in 2005 and I'm confident it wasn't there at first. The crack extends into the granite that's in the closet to the left of this pic.

There's a wall to the right of this entrance area, and you'll notice that the floor is separating from the wall/baseboard:

Is this a clear sign of a shifting foundation? I will need to do more than just replace the granite, and it's not gonna be cheap, right?
Advertisement
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Looks bad... maybe bad footings, or none at all.... most likely sinking, but i'm no expert.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #3

House may have a 10 year warranty that would cover this though..it became law at one point for new homes to come with it. Good luck.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Slipping foundation would be worst case scenario and would be a massive expense if not covered by home warranty, emphasis on MASSIVE.

A more likely scenario is a sub-floor thats been improperly laid or is to thin to support natural stone tile, have you noticed problems like this forming in other parts of the home or is it completely centralized to this one area?
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2011, 10:56 PM   #5
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Stuff like that is actually pretty common. More than anything, the first pic is probably this:

The outsides of the foundations are poured first, then a couple weeks later the actual concrete for the floor of your home is poured. This usually causes an uneven surface between the foundation and the floor of your home. The tiler just want's to make everything look good, so what does he do? He puts a little more quicket/thinset underneath the tile to get it even. Over the years weight on it etc. makes it crack.

Second pic: you may not know this, but that caulking/silicone they use shrinks over time. It may be a crack, or it may just be (most likely) shrinkage.

Also, it's pretty common for a house to settle within the first 5-10 years of being made. I wouldn't worry too much about it, IMO it's purely cosmetic. On all the houses I've seen that my dad's worked in/made these cracks develop sooner or later. Most of the time they're small, sometimes major .. but purely cosmetic. Also, if your foundation was shifting, you would see a LOT of cracks all throughout the house, doors would stop shutting properly, and it would be really noticeable, the way a house is built, everything is connected to everything. So a single shift in the foundation would be apparent really fast.

The way houses are made in vancouver (modern ones anyhow) I'd say it's pretty much impossible for them to shift. The foundation is poured onto bedrock and tied together completely. If you're house is on peat/some other crappy soil they (the builder) have to pay to have thick wooden posts put down to bedrock, and the foundation rests ontop of that. I'm not too sure about richmond though.

Last edited by BrRsn; 03-24-2011 at 11:01 PM.
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2011, 08:55 AM   #6

Another interesting thing to point out is the room directly above this entrance area weighs the most (based on how much stuff is in the room). I wonder if that played a major role in causing this problem.

Hopefully it's what dhillon09 describes... That's the only problem with my house at the moment - no other major cracks. I'm in Vancouver, near Oak & 67th, with radiant heating so the floors are concrete.

I'm thinking of moving to a bigger place in the near future, so the right thing to do is to get this fixed up before putting my place up for sale.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Old 03-25-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
The Brown Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Another interesting thing to point out is the room directly above this entrance area weighs the most (based on how much stuff is in the room). I wonder if that played a major role in causing this problem.

Hopefully it's what dhillon09 describes... That's the only problem with my house at the moment - no other major cracks. I'm in Vancouver, near Oak & 67th, with radiant heating so the floors are concrete.

I'm thinking of moving to a bigger place in the near future, so the right thing to do is to get this fixed up before putting my place up for sale.
Just re-tile it. Biggest PITA is gonna be ripping up the old stuff, but it's nothing to worry about (atleast I don't think). The way most houses are made in vancouver the upper 6 inches of the foundation is exposed all the way around the house, so you could do a quick visual inspection if you're really paranoid quite quickly.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
At the very least you're going to have to change the tiles out anyways. Might as well pull/chip the tiles out and find out what's going on underneath and go from there.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #9
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:

Are the floors structural concrete or are there joists and a sub-floor?
Old 03-26-2011, 10:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Are the floors structural concrete or are there joists and a sub-floor?
Ummm how can I tell?
Old 03-26-2011, 10:30 PM   #11
The Brown Reason

Quote:
Ummm how can I tell?
You have radiant heating and your house looks like it was made in the last 10 years, and you said you live in vancouver. Chances are the floors are structural concrete on the bottom level.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:22 PM   #12
dmm
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Seems to be some settling, normal, unless it is getting a lot worse. If you are re-tiling, are care about it, use a decoupling membrane under the tile, so any shifting under the floor would be minimized on to the tile.

http://www.schluter.com/6_1_ditra.aspx
dmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:52 PM   #13
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I agree on the house settling, or at least i would hope for your sake. less work involved. My town home is fairly new, the concrete bricks in the back yard under my door sunk about 3 feet (then again this place was built pretty cheep)
Prolowtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Ummm how can I tell?
It's probably what everyone should have asked first including myself... What's under the floor where the crack is? Basement? Crawl space??
Old 03-27-2011, 07:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalin View Post
It's probably what everyone should have asked first including myself... What's under the floor where the crack is? Basement? Crawl space??
No basement or crawl space... only a main floor and upper storey.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:14 AM   #16

I'd have a couple of professionals look at it.... i wouldn't expect this to be cosmetic in any way, that tile is probably pretty thick and it's a part of the floor where a person is the only weight put on it.... it could be that the builder didn't use rebar to tie the slab into the foundation or not... we're all just speculating, either way have it checked out and look into the home warranty asap.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about it, IMO it's purely cosmetic. On all the houses I've seen that my dad's worked in/made these cracks develop sooner or later. Most of the time they're small, sometimes major .. but purely cosmetic.
Funny you should post this dude, in the home construction world it is expected from 'certain' type of builders. But it shouldn't be expected... sure silicone cracking here and there but that's about it.... unless there's an earthquake houses shouldn't come apart like this.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #18
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Funny you should post this dude, in the home construction world it is expected from 'certain' type of builders. But it shouldn't be expected... sure silicone cracking here and there but that's about it.... unless there's an earthquake houses shouldn't come apart like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #19
The Brown Reason

Quote:
It shouldn't but they do.

So you want this guy to pay the bill for all these professionals to come in, probably take core samples of his concrete, etc. etc. etc. when he could just fix it himself for under $100 and get the same result?

I'd like to see what you'd do in his situation.

It could be very bad, but chances are pretty high that it's not. His foundation is on bedrock, it's not going anywhere. The cracks along the sides are where the concrete floor poured after the foundation meets the foundation, the concrete is not once piece in this area. It's very common for tilers to get lazy and just build up the mortar on the back of a tile then put it in to level out the floor rather than grinding down the difference between the two pieces of concrete. And before you get all upset again, the two slabs of concrete shouldn't have a difference in height but the finish on the top of the foundation is very rough in comparison to the finish on the floors.

If his foundation was drifting, you would see huge cracks in the exterior stucco if you've got that.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #20
Wanna have a threesome?

Concrete pads settling is anything but unusual, think of how often you've seen a cracked side walk or driveway. The solution to the problem is removing the current tile and re-setting it with an uncoupling membrane, the schluter products are fantastic quality. Pulling up the tile will be a nightmare, have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
You have radiant heating and your house looks like it was made in the last 10 years, and you said you live in vancouver. Chances are the floors are structural concrete on the bottom level.
Even in custom homes it's far more common for floors in Vancouver to be framed with joists, not structural concrete, at least thats the case with all the builders I work with and I specialize in extremely high end homes.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #21

The fact is, we can't diagnose this over the internet with a few pictures. You really need to have a GOOD contractor come and take a look at it... at the very least to confirm the actual construction of the floor and foundation. He doesn't necessarily need to take core samples or anything extreme without at least first checking on some of the basic things that have been mentioned - whether it's a singe-pour foundation, whether the proper rebar was used, and so on.

Everything suggested is a possibility, from a shifting foundation to just lazy tile guys, but nobody can tell you that just from posting on a forum - it's something that has be inspected IN PERSON.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2011, 06:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
The fact is, we can't diagnose this over the internet with a few pictures. You really need to have a GOOD contractor come and take a look at it... at the very least to confirm the actual construction of the floor and foundation. He doesn't necessarily need to take core samples or anything extreme without at least first checking on some of the basic things that have been mentioned - whether it's a singe-pour foundation, whether the proper rebar was used, and so on.

Everything suggested is a possibility, from a shifting foundation to just lazy tile guys, but nobody can tell you that just from posting on a forum - it's something that has be inspected IN PERSON.
Well said..
Old 03-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #23

Or to put it into an RS perspective: it's like posting a picture of your crumpled fender and asking if there's any damage to the frame.
Quote:
Old 04-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #24
RS controls my life!

Bla bla concrete this concrete that. Gumby I ve remember you sending me PM. Last year about this. I've told you before to look under flloor and examine. Lift or cut out where the tile is and look under to see the subfloor. Could be many things as simple as not gluing and screwing you sub down can cuase crack due to movement. Your house is wood built and concrete foundation . Sometimes when you see a consttent crack in a straight line. It means something is messd up under it or could be n backframing. . You need.a person to help. You. Building inspectors, tradesmen. Your must be lazy or sometinhg cus this. Was pmd to be a year ago
Posted via RS Mobile
RenoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #25
RS controls my life!

Your floors probably be wood subfloor and maybe a concrete layer with radiant heating .
Posted via RS Mobile
RenoMan is offline   Reply With Quote