REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   #RevsceneVLS General Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/revscenevls-general-chat_14/)
-   -   Formula and Diapers! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/641303-formula-diapers.html)

vafanculo 03-28-2011 07:30 PM

Formula and Diapers!

Hey guys,

New to the baby scene here. Where are the best places to buy these? Any good deals on premade formulas "to-go" in a plastic bottle?

I checked out walmart and Costco in the states, and the prices didn't seem to be much better?

TIA!
Posted via RS Mobile

Lil Bastrd 04-03-2011 04:57 PM

you can get the liquid formula in bottles that you just screw a bottle top on to. They are great when you are places where you can't get any water. Walmart and Superstore are the best priced for the formula. Costco out here doesn't carry any of the pre made bottles.

Spoon 04-04-2011 12:33 PM

The pre-made liquid formula's actually the most expensive in comparison to powder or regular liquid formulas. So if you're trying to save money, that should honestly be your last choice (I think 6 tiny bottles was like $20, and from experience, our baby didn't like it much either). In cases where we bring the baby out for day trips, we just pack his formula in a cooler plus ice packs to keep things fresh. And if your baby will take powder, stick to that as long as you can if you're wallet-conscience.

To add on to the places suggested above, Safeway's not too bad for pricing if you collect airmiles and/or take advantage of their 10% off events that sometimes happens on Tuesdays. The Nestle Omega3 we're currently using is about $40-$50 a box, so it's pretty easy to rack up say $100+ to take advantage of airmiles offers.

I also like to go to Superstore if I'm planning large purchases ($250+). They usually have weekly promos where you can get a $25 gift card back. And they also match their competitor's prices, so there's really no point in going to Walmart which offers very little in terms of kick back promotions.

If you haven't already signed up to Pamper's or Huggies website, do so asap. They send you coupons every 3 months or so. Alternatively, use coupon ordering sites:

http://save.ca/
http://www.pgeverydaysolutions.com/p...es-coupons.jsp

In addition, if your baby's not already using a certain brand of powder/formula, you should subscribe to the mailing lists for each brand. Most of them will send you a welcome package which includes a sample size of their powder and liquid formulas. From memory, Nestle, Heinz, Similac and Enfamil all had these welcome packages. Sometimes it's not your choice, so you'll need to test which one the baby likes before committing to a brand (ie. some brands may not agree with the baby and will cause the baby to vomit or you might find out that your baby is lactose intollerant etc.).

TheNewGirl 04-04-2011 12:46 PM

The premade liquid ones also tend to have the highest corn syrup content. I'd highly suggest avoiding them except when absolutely unavoidable. And breast milk is best, even if it's pumped and bottled.

You can sign up for a baby welcoming package Save On too if your baby is still young or not yet yet born and that will have samples of various different formulas in it too iirc.

Costco and Superstore had the best diaper prices last time I checked. Especially if you have a Costco membership where you get 2% back every year.

vafanculo 04-04-2011 01:05 PM

Wow, thanks for the suggestions. Will def look into them
Posted via RS Mobile

FerrariEnzo 04-06-2011 03:29 AM

what ive done is buy the formula dispenser (dont know the name but its a container that has several compartment which holds enough power per bottle) and have water in the bottle itself, usually do this in malls then you can use the microwave in foodcourt shops, to heat up the bottle, dump the power and your good to go...

the pre-made liquid formulas are a tad expensive to buy over time..

Lil Bastrd 04-11-2011 03:28 PM

depending on the age of the baby you may not want to start with powder as it isn't sterilized and newborn babies have been known to get sick. My mother was a nurse with Fraser Health so it was great to be able to pick her brain and that of her friends at work. They all recommended the Good Start with the omegas and to use the liquid that you add boiled water to till my little one was 4 months. I found Superstore was the cheapest for this. Costco would have to be the cheapest for diapers and wipes.

MG1 04-11-2011 03:59 PM

Just curious, why not breast feed? Mother's milk is always best. Builds up immune system and baby grows up big, strong, and with less allergies and whatnot.

Breast pump, so you have enough for on going basis.

I know some women hate it, but baby's health is so important the first little while.

None of my business, but.............. just saiyan.

MG1 04-11-2011 04:02 PM

As for prices, you won't see much movement or differences from one place to another. It's big business. There's money to be made. Don't buy a whole shitload of anything unless you are certain it is something your child likes.

as for diapers, you the diaper changing one in your family? I was..... 'cause I was the master. I could ignore the smell and I was quick. The re and re including wiping the shit and zincofaxing was done in world record time. Perfect tape up job, too. LOLOLOLOL

Edit: diapers do go on sale and there are coupons check flyers. Also, count on size changes. I had to give away diapers to people because my kids grew out of them so fast.

Berzerker 04-11-2011 04:16 PM

Some women just lack the ability to produce enough milk even with the pills to stimulate production. We are using Goodstart and it's fairly cost effective in the cans compared to the other stuff.

Berz out.

vafanculo 04-11-2011 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berzerker (Post 7385781)
Some women just lack the ability to produce enough milk even with the pills to stimulate production. We are using Goodstart and it's fairly cost effective in the cans compared to the other stuff.

Berz out.

Yup, that's exactly what it is. She'd give anything to breastfeed, but just cannot produce enough.

I think we are using Enfamil, mixed with boiled water.
Posted via RS Mobile

MG1 04-12-2011 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vafanculo (Post 7386495)
Yup, that's exactly what it is. She'd give anything to breastfeed, but just cannot produce enough.

I think we are using Enfamil, mixed with boiled water.
Posted via RS Mobile

Sorry to hear that................

vafanculo 04-12-2011 07:00 AM

It's ok. Aslong as the baby is healthy.

She does manage to give some nutrients through natural milk, but nowhere near enough where we don't need formula.
Posted via RS Mobile

Wetordry 04-12-2011 10:08 AM

If moms want to produce more milk = EAT PAPAYAS

TheNewGirl 04-12-2011 10:15 AM

By the way you, for baby stuff you should join SmartCanuck.ca (and for everyone). These women and men are the coupon queens and kings and can give you a BILLION suggestions as to where to get coupons and how to save money on anything but many of them are extra talented with diapers and formula.

http://smartcanucks.ca/

The Forum there works pretty much the same as the one here.

ALSO if she is producing milk but just not enough, she can still pump or nurse as much as she can say during the day and bottle feed at night (baby will sleep better). Then she'll get to nurse a bit and and pass on the health benefits while supplimenting with formula.