REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/automotive-detailing-car-care-tech_49/)
-   -   Using lysol on car (https://www.revscene.net/forums/641578-using-lysol-car.html)

AudiFreak 03-31-2011 05:30 PM

Using lysol on car

Yes, I mean on car, and not in the car. I have a buddy who used Lysol to wash his car and I told him it wasn't a good idea. It's too bad he told me after he already did it.

What will the consequences be?

What is the best suggestion to fix his mistake?

Of course it was a bad idea.. but we all make mistakes. It was a one time thing he told me.

Cheers,
AF

Gazorcoop 03-31-2011 05:38 PM

it probably removed the wax on the car. Not sure what you should do next.

rj45 03-31-2011 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudiFreak (Post 7369719)
Yes, I mean on car, and not in the car. I have a buddy who used Lysol to wash his car and I told him it wasn't a good idea. It's too bad he told me after he already did it.

What will the consequences be?

What is the best suggestion to fix his mistake?

Of course it was a bad idea.. but we all make mistakes. It was a one time thing he told me.

Cheers,
AF

I'm pretty sure lysol has a strong base. Therefore, It should eat some paint.

AudiFreak 03-31-2011 05:44 PM

Would it immediately eat it or does it slowly eat it? Would he have to repaint his car? This is the first time it's been done.

xyz123 03-31-2011 05:54 PM

ummm, just rewash the car? if anything the most it will do is eat your clear coat... it is summer so you can always rewax your car or get it detailed professionally.

AudiFreak 03-31-2011 05:58 PM

Do you know if any reputable and fairly cheap clear coat/waxing places? I don't think my friend would know how to do that seeing as he used lysol..

xyz123 03-31-2011 06:13 PM

canadian tire and pick up some quick detailer wax =) if you want to do it professionally,
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...repair/1272211

Or check our our revscene sponsors

kyoshiro 03-31-2011 06:28 PM

may dry out the clearcoat/paint over time as with dawn depending on which lysol is being used I would guess.

rj45 03-31-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudiFreak (Post 7369742)
Would it immediately eat it or does it slowly eat it? Would he have to repaint his car? This is the first time it's been done.

rinse it very well and it will be fine. If you left lysol directly on over time it would damage the paint if the ph was strong enough.

might be good to wash it with some proper car soap such as mothers.

AudiFreak 03-31-2011 06:46 PM

Would it be ok if he washed it tomorrow? Is one night enough to damage it a lot? It was rinse with water after washing if that counts.. The Lysol used was the Lysol wipes. Is there any way to determine thr pH by the ingredients?
Posted via RS Mobile

AudiFreak 03-31-2011 06:51 PM

Just checked out canadian tire.. there are a few Mother's products. Which ones would I need?

Would it be the 3 step solution? First the pre-wax cleaner (to clean out the Lysol) then the Step 2 sealer and glaze, then the 3rd and final Carnauba Wax Liquid?

Cheers

kyoshiro 03-31-2011 07:12 PM

Go and buy the meguires gold class car wash
then the mothers clay kit
then I would probably suggest the autoglym HD Wax

dont like the mothers 3 steps =p but heres what they prob are: pre wax cleaner is mild abrasive prob then the glaze will fill in the scratches then the carnuba wax liquid tops it.

and determining PH, need some PH paper.

Its down to if your buddy wants to get it properly done or not too. doing it properly = grabbing some quality products thats good for your paintwork and has good durability with a good outcome with it. most of the shelf products have poor durability and cleaner waxes will dull out your clearcoat in the long run.

AudiFreak 03-31-2011 07:26 PM

kyoshiro, would the products you recommended be considered 'quality products'? Any good guides/tips on the internet on how to do it?

- kT 03-31-2011 07:31 PM

whats kyoshiro suggested is probably your (his) best bet. washing to remove the lysol, claybar to REALLY remove the lysol, and wax to protect the clearcoat and paint again

there shouldn't be too much damage done overnight, it isn't a solvent or an acid or something that'll just corrode the car down to bare metal overnight. but you definitely want to take care of it soon

but just to get this straight..he used lysol wipes and wiped the entire car down?! if so, maybe you should tell him to just sit down while you take care of the repair process for him :p

kyoshiro 03-31-2011 07:40 PM

quality products starts from looking at places other than Canadian Tire :D
I say first head down to Ken down @ Maple Ridge and have him pick out some nice starter products/basic essentials and get tips and pointers during the whole process.
You may end up coming out with a hundred dollar (or more) bill but the overall experience/feel of the vehicle will be dramatically different.
Colinite wax products for example will last for over a year on the car so if you work the maths out properly, you are probably getting more bang for the buck.
If you take good care of the paintwork, at the end, the resell value of the vehicle may also be better because it would give a better impression off the bat.
Also you have already spent so much on the car, why not go a step further to ensure its well kept, it is also something to be proud of especially when its out in the sun.

If you dont want to travel far and just want to find out all about it online, i would point you over to detailingbliss.com and look at the posts over there.

911fanatic 03-31-2011 08:50 PM

He used Lysol wipes on his car? Really? No offence, but WTF? Really? Wash the car with some dishwashing soap. Its strong enough to clean any of the Lysol residue off. Using a dish soap periodically to remove old wax etc will not harm the paint. Using it weekly is a different story. No need to clay here as there aren't any bonded contaminants. A light paintwork cleanser followed by a sealant or wax will do fine. The Mothers products should be fine. Given the fact that your friend used Lysol on his car, these products will be more than fine for what you are trying to accomplish. At least post a few pics when your done.

AudiFreak 04-01-2011 09:33 AM

Should he wax and wash it today? Would the rain be enough to getit all off?
Posted via RS Mobile

roastpuff 04-01-2011 11:43 AM

Wash and Wax it today. Rain will not be enough - need some sort of cleaner to help it.

i-vtecyo 04-01-2011 01:16 PM

since its raining outside, i suggest he should go to a under cover self car wash @ royal oak. Self car washes starting at $2 and he should be able to wash, dry and wax his car there.

911fanatic 04-01-2011 11:19 PM

At least get it washed ASAP to get rid of any Lysol residue. I doubt it will do anything to the paint, but better to be safe than sorry.

gsxr7 04-02-2011 08:17 AM

I would suggest washing the car very thorougly a few times to make good and sure all the lysol residue is gone.do it asap as sun can multiply the paint damage and bake the lysol in making it even harder to get out.and definetly get a coat of wax applied asap because the lysol has stripped all the wax for sure.i saw that u said your friend doesnt know how to wax it.search the web and there are tons of simple how to detail directions.very important though is if u wax it without removing all the lysol then youl be waxing the lysol into your paint.good luck ...