REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   The John Norwich Riders Corner (https://www.revscene.net/forums/john-norwich-riders-corner_45/)
-   -   Running rich.. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/642454-running-rich.html)

taylor192 04-09-2011 05:06 PM

Running rich..

My bike is running rich. Its a 2006 SV650 from California.

I've checked SVRider and there's no easy fix for it since its fuel injected with no sensors that could be causing it to run rich... thus I ether need:

1. A shop to look at it, can anyone recommend a good shop? I need my valves checked too.
2. A power commander or similar to remap the AFR leaner.

Its a $4000 bike so I am hesitant to spend a lot of $$$ fixing it, I may just live with it and sell the bike eventually when I want something better.

bcrdukes 04-09-2011 06:05 PM

Just fuck it and sell it on CL for $500 or to me for $600. :D

Just kidding. How do you know that its running rich? I would assume that it's running rich from the factory to prevent your motor from blowing.

But what do I know. I ride a shitty Italian carb'd Vespa. :\

Jermyzy 04-09-2011 06:13 PM

I've had good experience with Ted @ EMS

bcrdukes 04-09-2011 06:20 PM

Ok on to being serious. I've heard many positive results with Ted @ EMS as well. I believe Acuracura recently had his bike worked on by Ted.

Richmond - try Bill @ 5th Gear.

taylor192 04-09-2011 08:54 PM

Yeah... I think I have insulted Ted @ EMS too many times on BCSB. I'm pretty sure my last comment to Ted was what got me banned from BCSB, despite him making the first provoking comment... oh well. I have wanted to visit 5th gear, this might be a good excuse since it i very close to my work.

I know it is running rich cause my gas mileage is shit, you can smell the fuel in the exhaust, and its backfiring like a mofo as the California pair system burns off unused fuel in the exhaust. I actually had another rider pull up beside me and comment on the smell of it running rich. Its not a fuel leak, checked that, the fuel smell is definitely in the exhaust.

Its a common complaint on SVRider too, with no apparent fix :( Going to change the plugs (due anyways) and clean the air filter. Maybe some maintenance will help - yet there's no sensors for the ECU to adjust the fuel ratio... so I'm not sure why its running rich to begin with... something must be wrong... like a vacuum line? That's a usual culprit on a car running rich.

bcrdukes 04-09-2011 11:57 PM

LOL!

Well, try out Bill. He seems to be quite the competent mechanic. A bit rough around the edges but overall, nice guy and can really fix a bike.

Edit: IIRC, he will pick up your bike on his truck.