REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #51
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
i'd like to add my opinion on this matter:

FUCK YEAH
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #52
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
First, the conservative gov't has declared that there would be no change to the existing drug laws, so I would expect to have a new law in place that meets the requirements of the court ruling.

Second, we have a pretty much decriminalized system in place here in Vancouver anyway. A guy in my building is a stoner, and he gets stopped by the police, asked his business, he tells them he has to go for a walk because his landlord won't let him light up inside and off he goes.

To switch to a legal system, I see the following:

1. Decrim use

Basically what we have...small amounts of personal use pot aren't being charged.

2. Legal cafes, illegal everywhere else.

Solves the casual user being criminal issue, does nothing for illicit supply.

3. Full legalization

Now you need to devote a lot of effort to deciding who gets to grow and creating a regulatory frame work for them, strengthening the laws surrounding personal grow, as in if you want to use pot, you MUST buy from gov't approved growers**, and then a whole set of laws on where you can use, where you can't, driving offences and so on.

I think for that reason alone, you won't see it anytime soon. You'd have to re-write half the criminal code, plus city by-laws.

**I wouldn't support any legislation that didn't put a death grip on personal growing, and in that case, you'll have a lot of pot users disappointed with their new supply.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #53
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
That's why most people are not in the government, because they can only think about one side of the argument. The economic benefits make sense but you have to think of the adverse social effects of making weed easily obtainable/easier to obtain.

Keep in mind that the cost of growing weed is still relatively low and dealers can always lower their margins, so if you think that just because marijuana is legal gangs and drug dealers will disappear think again. Similar to selling ipods, there will be ipods from the apple store for $300+tax, used ipods for $250 tax free off craigslist, and stolen ipods for $200 tax free and there are buyers for every market which is why people will inevitably steal things regardless of regulation. There will be a reduction in black market marijuana but it won't disappear, mainly because the quantities will likely have to be regulated so any more demand will have to be filled by the black market. And, unlike a bottle of grey goose or a chateau lafite rothschild, weed is relatively easy to produce.

Treating pot more like alcohol will spout more pothead anonymous groups and driver's license suspensions, that IMO is a bad thing. As far as booting weed for minors go it's really not that hard at all. Throughout high school I always had friends that were legal and whom we mutually trusted without ever having to worry about the authorities, same would apply for reselling legal marijuana illegally.
large groups of people will be getting out of illegally growing weed if it becomes legal, there's barely money in it as it is.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #54
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
i am just happy with the decriminalization, too much to think about actually legalizing it... gonna be the issues with quality, quantity, etc etc lol will be a problem for sure.. aint that easy as people think it is
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #55
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Yup.

It probably won't change much as it is now. As long as you don't show up under the influence, it should be alright?

This raises an interesting point. Some workplaces have 'codes of conduct' which they require their employees to follow. I do believe that these codes of conduct may come in conflict with legalized marijuana.

(I'm not certain but) there are probably workplaces out there that allow for marijuana to show up in drug testing if its used for medical reasons. For recreational users, these courtesies are not likely to apply.

This puts the workplace in a unique situation because can they discriminate based on a person's personal conduct outside of the workplace with respect to the (hypothetically) recently legalized use of marijuana?

I'd say they probably can and despite pushback, it will still be something they can fire people for doing.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #56
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
I think what they're going to need is a type of test which determines how much THC is in one's bloodstream at a certain point in time. Quick-acting pot tests (urine? Blood?) are going to have to show up pretty soon.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #57
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
This raises an interesting point. Some workplaces have 'codes of conduct' which they require their employees to follow. I do believe that these codes of conduct may come in conflict with legalized marijuana.

(I'm not certain but) there are probably workplaces out there that allow for marijuana to show up in drug testing if its used for medical reasons. For recreational users, these courtesies are not likely to apply.

This puts the workplace in a unique situation because can they discriminate based on a person's personal conduct outside of the workplace with respect to the (hypothetically) recently legalized use of marijuana?

I'd say they probably can and despite pushback, it will still be something they can fire people for doing.
I'd like to assume that whatever industry one works at, if it's professional enough to do drug testing and set guidelines for workers, said worker is professional enough to adhere to it.

Probably not the same, but like how some workers are expected to work 12 hour shifts, even though they may want to sleep. If your job requires to you to not have any THC levels, then you should lay off of it until you're on holidays for an extended period of time.

I will also venture a guess and say that even though the "law" may decriminalize it, many companies will not change their policies (at least for a while) because of the stereotypes and images that follow weed i.e. stoners.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #58
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,646 Times in 2,302 Posts
I would like to see the thc content level in my blood as well.
Posted via RS Mobile
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #59
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

^Must be over 9000
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #60
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock
**I wouldn't support any legislation that didn't put a death grip on personal growing, and in that case, you'll have a lot of pot users disappointed with their new supply.
That's the first time I've ever heard of someone placing that condition on supporting legalization, would you mind explaing the reasoning behind it?
Posted via RS Mobile
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote