REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires-tech_191/)
-   -   Wheel Repairs: Repairing Anodized Aluminum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/643047-wheel-repairs-repairing-anodized-aluminum.html)

FN-2199 04-16-2011 02:22 AM

Wheel Repairs: Repairing Anodized Aluminum

Tonight, I had to avoid a drunk driver, curb rashing one of my brand new Work Emotion XD9's in anodized matte bronze. I've searched a bunch and came across a lot of threads seeking help with wheel refinishing/repairs, but have never seen anybody with help repairing anodized aluminum. After all that extensive searching, I've basically come to the conclusion that no shops can actually repaint my rims back to it's original anodized color.
Hopefully somebody can correct me, and I'm not completely shit out of luck. I'd hate to have to keep riding around with a curbed rim, or even buy a replacement.

Would there be any shops in/around Vancouver that can actually replicate/repaint anodized matte bronze?

Any suggestions welcome! :(

AVS_Racing 04-16-2011 03:35 AM

I don't think it can be done locally, cuz from what I know some colours from Work can't be repaired locally cuz no one has machines to reanodize them.

FN-2199 04-16-2011 10:05 AM

I gave Panthers a call and one of their staff told me they might be able to match it with some of their paint, but no guarantees. :(
Posted via RS Mobile

saveth 04-16-2011 10:13 AM

Who did you talk to?

Anodizing is not a paint. It's a type of coating. The bronze is called electrolytic bronze or architectural bronze normally used on buildings because it's uv resistant but can be used on anything. The only problem I see will be matching the finish to your other wheels and I don't mean the color. You can think of it as a scale from 1-10 1 being matte and 10 being polished. Post a picture of the wheel I'm curious to see how bad it is.
Posted via RS Mobile

FN-2199 04-16-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saveth (Post 7393347)
Who did you talk to?

Anodizing is not a paint. It's a type of coating. The bronze is called electrolytic bronze or architectural bronze normally used on buildings because it's uv resistant but can be used on anything. The only problem I see will be matching the finish to your other wheels and I don't mean the color. You can think of it as a scale from 1-10 1 being matte and 10 being polished. Post a picture of the wheel I'm curious to see how bad it is.
Posted via RS Mobile

I know what anodizing means. Shops like Panthers, Greens, Nu-brite, etc. don't have the tools to anodize, and the best they can do is paint the curbed lip. I know matching is an issue, but I doubt they will refinish the whole wheel for 3" lip damage.

saveth 04-16-2011 10:41 AM

Panther is on the same street of an anodizing shop which I work at. The reason they're not taking you job is because they know matching the finish is difficult and may take a few times to get right. So it may be cheaper to just buy a replacement. Is the lip the only part that is anodized or is the whole wheel?
Posted via RS Mobile

FN-2199 04-16-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saveth (Post 7393376)
Panther is on the same street of an anodizing shop which I work at. The reason they're not taking you job is because they know matching the finish is difficult and may take a few times to get right. So it may be cheaper to just buy a replacement. Is the lip the only part that is anodized or is the whole wheel?
Posted via RS Mobile

I never said Panthers would not take me. They said to come on down during the week when more knowledgeable staff were available to be able to take on the task.
The whole rim is anodized matte bronze.

jing 04-17-2011 11:22 PM

This is a bit OT but I thought XD9's only came in matte silver and matte bronze? Is matte bronze anodized a custom finish?