REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   The John Norwich Riders Corner (https://www.revscene.net/forums/john-norwich-riders-corner_45/)
-   -   Bike Service (https://www.revscene.net/forums/643781-bike-service.html)

lundyt 04-25-2011 10:39 AM

Bike Service

Does anyone know a good place to get your bike serviced?
I went over to pacific yamaha and they told me it would roughly cost $300 or so for a basic service. Is that about normal pricing?

bcrdukes 04-25-2011 11:06 AM

Could you elaborate on what "basic" service is?

If it's a spring tune up, then yes. $300 is about right. Check out Bill @ 5th Gear (next door from Pac Yamaha) if you're in Richmond. Bill's prices are pretty good and he's a good mechanic. Your other option is Bayside Performance on Fraser and Ted @ EMS (Essential Motorcycle Services.)

lundyt 04-25-2011 11:08 AM

By basic I mean oil change, brake fluid top up. Checking tire pressures etc. Stuff to make sure I'm safe on the road
Posted via RS Mobile

whitev70r 04-25-2011 11:11 AM

No, $300 is NOT normal. Bayside Performance on SW Marine Drive.

bcrdukes 04-25-2011 11:12 AM

For dealership prices, $300 is about the going rate for Spring tune up service I believe. It really depends on what they're doing. Pac Yamaha can sometimes really jerk customers off by gouging them with retarded prices.

Try the other places I listed. Prices should be near or a bit lower than $300, but maybe not by much. Perhaps some of the more experienced guys can chime in.

tegz 04-25-2011 01:22 PM

Got charged about $200 for oil change, fluid refills, lubing, and tightening torque wrenches at suzuki.

All shit I can learn to do by myself, so I'm gonna take the bike mechanic 101 course for like $200 at PRS once I get my license back, so I can spend $40 dollars on just the materials and take half an afternoon doing all this.

CharlieH 04-25-2011 04:46 PM

5th gear is pretty good. bill definitely knows what he's doing.

racerman88 04-25-2011 05:57 PM

5th gear in Richmond or Essential services on Marine dr just east of Oak street. You can buy a labour saver card at Essential to get a better deal.

Shoe 04-25-2011 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lundyt (Post 7407033)
By basic I mean oil change, brake fluid top up. Checking tire pressures etc. Stuff to make sure I'm safe on the road
Posted via RS Mobile

I went to EMS to do the exact stuff you've listed, on a bike I had just bought, and the total after taxes cost me $110. If it helps, it was a GSXR 600 and a general inspection of the entire bike, oil change, brake fluid and lever adjustments

Acuracura 04-25-2011 11:19 PM

If you plan on owning the bike for a while, I strongly recommend you pick up a service manual and some tools. Learn to do basic and routine maintenance on your own and you will save a bundle over the years. For services that require special tools or more time than you have to learn, Ted at EMS is great.

taylor192 04-26-2011 06:51 AM

I've owned my bike less than a year and I've already had more than 1/2 the bike in various pieces. Bikes are so simple to work on, I cannot imagine needing a course unless you have no mechanical skills or automotive knowledge. Spend the money on a service manual and some tools instead.

Roll up your sleeves and get dirty! Don't be afraid to try, especially since there's many members on here and BCSB who are willing to give advice or a hand if you're stuck.

lundyt 04-26-2011 09:21 AM

yeah can't really say ive ever worked on anything with an engine. If anyone is in richmond and wants to run through it with me one time that would be awesome. Dinner/lunch my treat!!! don't worry you dont have to put out after