REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-26-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
Question about carproof

Sorry if this is a really dumb question but it's my first time using a service such as carproof. I also tried to search it up but can't really find anything helpful.

So I basically used carproof to check for a lien and accidents. Everything looks good so far. Where it states "Lien Records", all it says is "lien records found". So my question is does that mean it currently has a lien on it? I am looking through the lien history and can't really make any sense of it.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks
Advertisement
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:32 PM   #2
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
If you could perhaps post that little excerpt (copy and paste or print screen... whatever floats your boat), we can take a look at it and help you determine what it means
Old 04-27-2011, 12:05 AM   #3
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Post it and we'll see.

Lien record found most likely means it currently has a lien on it. The lien history page should show the full name of the lien holder, lien holder's address and bank name as well as the date when the lien started. That was what it used to show anyways. Not sure if there's any changes.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:30 AM   #4
I am Hook'd on RS

As the last resort, check in with ICBC, they have the current and accurate database for a lien on a vehicle locally
Antwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:43 AM   #5

^I would but I've been hearing that ICBC does not do anymore lien checks which was why I resorted to carproof.

Last edited by ziggyx; 04-27-2011 at 05:07 PM. Reason: removed picture of lien history
Old 04-27-2011, 06:05 AM   #6

Okay well I emailed carproof and got a reply. They said that there is a lien on the vehicle and it comes from the Laurentien bank which only has locations in eastern Canada.

Now I have a new question. Doesn't the lien have to show that it's registered to the current owner? It doesn't mention them at all in that carproof report.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:23 AM   #7
racing & tech mod.

Why don't you just ask the owner?
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
The lien goes with the car and not the owner as far as I know. I used carproof and it saved me from buying a car with a $14000 lien. The icbc search only checked in BC when I used it.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #9
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Yes, the lien goes with the car and not the owner. You can transfer title of a car that has an active lien on it. Beware that the seller should pay off the lien before factoring the sale amount or you're on the hook for the lien amount. The bank can just come and seize your vehicle if you're not paying no question asked.

The lien page is pretty clear to me, not sure which part confuse you:

- A guy name Phillips Daniel Richards in Surrey finance the car through JCLD Online Technologies (dealership?) from Laurentien Bank.
- The lien is active until June 29, 2012.

It doesn't say the amount but the bank should be able to give him a statement of the amount owing.

Ask the seller.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2011, 04:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post
Why don't you just ask the owner?
I asked the seller before purchasing the vehicle if it had a lien on it. He said it didn't. Makes me wonder how someone purchased a vehicle and doesn't know that it had a lien on it nor has it seized yet.

And thanks guys.

edit: I got an email back from carproof explaining the lien and what might be happening.

"Liens don't care who owns the vehicle, for lack of a better way of explaining it. A lien will be on that vehicle, regardless of how many times it's changed hands until someone pays it out, where the problem occurs is that if the debtor stops paying because they no longer own the unit the new owner can still have the vehicle repossessed as it technically was not the debtors legal property to sell.

It could very well be that the lien is paid out but no one has discharged it, but only the Secured Party can tell you that. You or the seller needs to contact the Secured Party to determine the buy-out amount and then they will discharge the lien. "

Regardless I won't be buying the vehicle due to work.

Last edited by ziggyx; 04-27-2011 at 05:10 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2012, 08:18 AM   #11
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
I took a look at the CarFax description page and it doesn't seem to cover liens?
Nor does it guarantee ICBC data?

Is that why Carproof is 64.95?
Old 03-30-2012, 12:35 AM   #12
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Bought a car with lien on it. Had owner dealt with it and provide proof at dealership that finance is paid off. OP, you should ensure lien is paid off before making purchase. Good luck.
Duff Beer is offline   Reply With Quote