REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Who has the right of way? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/644639-who-has-right-way.html)

mr_chin 05-06-2011 07:56 AM

Who has the right of way?

If I'm turning right, and another driver is turning left into the lane I'm turning right on, at an intersection?

FN-2199 05-06-2011 07:57 AM

Are you at a red light? Is the other driver turning on a left turn light?
Posted via RS Mobile

Qmx323 05-06-2011 08:46 AM

if both you and opposing traffic have green lights, you have right of way.

if opposing traffic has a left turn green light and you have a red, they have right of way.

if you have a dedicated right turn green you have the right of way regardless of opposing traffic light condition.

goo3 has a good post regarding right of ways in this certain scenario in the other thread

Gumby 05-06-2011 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qmx323 (Post 7422875)
goo3 has a good post regarding right of ways in this certain scenario in the other thread

And the post Qmx323 is referring to is here.

cococly 05-06-2011 12:57 PM

What if I am turning left under a dedicated left turn signal, and another car from the opposite direction wanted to turn right into the same single lane road?

Great68 05-06-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cococly (Post 7423121)
What if I am turning left under a dedicated left turn signal, and another car from the opposite direction wanted to turn right into the same single lane road?

If you have a dedicated turn signal and it's green, the light for the car in the other direction will be red. To that end, YOU have the right of way.

Phil@rise 05-06-2011 01:29 PM

if you have an advanced green then you have the right of way the opposing driver would be facing a red light

gretzky 05-06-2011 03:43 PM

u have the right of way if u are facing a green light... if u are facing green that just turned yellow then u let him go... how did u even get ur liscence?

skidmark 05-07-2011 07:06 AM

http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/intersect...ing-left-turns

tool001 05-07-2011 07:05 PM

funny how most drivers still dont know this.
or when 2 cars come to stop same time (at a 4 way stop) who has the right of way,
or who has right of way in a round about.

Gnomes 05-18-2017 09:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry to bump this thread, didnt want to make another thread. This scenario is similar to this thread but involve stop signs. 2 opposing car approaches stop sign but red car reached at stopped at the stop sign first, signalling left. The 2nd car approach the stop sign 2 seconds later, trying to make a right. Both car at a standstill behind the line. Who has right of way?

Yes, this is suppose to be basic. Part of me says left turner suppose to yield. Part of me says right turner car suppose to yield as it arrived stop sign later. Even though this doesnt occur to my day to day driving much, I figured I should get this sorted out in my head

Attachment 28847

Inaii 05-18-2017 09:50 PM

From the ICBC website:

If two vehicles are stopped at a two-way stop and one of the
drivers wants to turn left, this driver should yield the right-of-way
to the other vehicle. The only exception is if the left-turning
vehicle is already in the intersection and has started to make the
turn. In this case, the other vehicle must yield.

I always thought it was whomever approached first. Huh.

Speed2K 05-18-2017 10:09 PM

So, per Gnomes diagram, if there were additional vehicles behind the blue car that were also turning right, the red vehicle must "yield" and wait for them all to turn?

inv4zn 05-21-2017 11:41 AM

^Yes.

Two-way stops have nothing to do with who came first, and everything to do with who is going to do something less dangerous.

Right of way goes to whomever is crossing less lanes, regardless of who reached stop sign first.

snowball 05-21-2017 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed2K (Post 8842420)
So, per Gnomes diagram, if there were additional vehicles behind the blue car that were also turning right, the red vehicle must "yield" and wait for them all to turn?

If the red car immediately makes a left turn after Blue #1 goes it would give them right away as Blue #2 still needs to stop at the stop sign and yield to "cars already in intersection"

If there's an accident with no witness though, ICBC might not see it that way, make sure you're dash cam ready!