REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/automotive-detailing-car-care-tech_49/)
-   -   Drying + Holograms? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/645218-drying-holograms.html)

06TLer 05-12-2011 04:53 PM

Drying + Holograms?

Hey RS detailing freaks,

Can drying your car induce holograms on the paint?

I've been using the same drying cloth (Simonz Synthetic Chamois) to dry my car for over half a year already and lately I've been noticing severe holograms on my side doors. The awkward thing is that I don't seem to notice holograms anywhere else except on the doors for some reason. (Obviously I use the same cloth to dry the whole car) I'm pretty sure the holograms are recent since I detailed my car not too long ago with Merzerna POwer Finish + AG SRP with a PC which would've removed any previous defects.

So here are my concerns:

1) Is it about time that I throw away my old chamois and get a new one? If so, how often should the switch be happening?

2) Is Simonz Synthetic Chamois a good product to use for drying the car? If not, what brand would you recommend? Soft vs Hard Chamois?

3) Should I just use a MF towel and the blotting method to dry the car?

4) Is it possible that it's not my drying procedure but actually my washing procedure that are causing the holograms? (Dirty mitt?)

kyoshiro 05-12-2011 07:03 PM

are you sure you finished down properly with Power Finish?
also AG SRP is really a filler based product as the formula for Canada is crappier than everywhere else which may of filled some spots where you havent finished down properly
Chamois are fairly dangerous in my honest opinion, very rough surface. Personally I would say ditch it and go for a waffleweave or microfiber drying towel and pat dry.
wash technique + median will also induce scratches, marring, etc especially if you have a soft clear coat.

06TLer 05-12-2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyoshiro (Post 7431475)
are you sure you finished down properly with Power Finish?
also AG SRP is really a filler based product as the formula for Canada is crappier than everywhere else which may of filled some spots where you havent finished down properly
Chamois are fairly dangerous in my honest opinion, very rough surface. Personally I would say ditch it and go for a waffleweave or microfiber drying towel and pat dry.
wash technique + median will also induce scratches, marring, etc especially if you have a soft clear coat.

I'm pretty sure I finished down properly while polishing. I did a post inspection and there were little to no swirls and definitely no holograms. I agree with Chamois being rough that's why I've always wanted to switch to something else. It's definitely not the washing part since the holograms follows my drying pattern. I guess it's most likely certain that the culprit is my half year old chamois. Damn, it was expensive too :(

Should I go for the LARGE MF towels to dry? Cause I have more than 20 MF towels at home but they are fairly small.

kyoshiro 05-12-2011 08:27 PM

yes a large MF Towel is really the best thing you can get. I use the CG Miracle Dryer Drying Towel which is their big big big "Super Towel". Sometimes I use multiple CG Monster towels which also sucks up a lot of water, depends on my mood lol

06TLer 05-12-2011 09:02 PM

Last question. How to get rid of the dirt particles that the MF picks up? The small ones that I use to wipe the car off frequently get dirt particles stuck on it and I always end up throwing them away cause I don't want to risk scratching my car with it. However, if I am going to get a big one, I don't think I have the funds to be that wasteful if it does accidentally have pieces of dirt, etc stuck on it. Am I suppose to nit pick them out cause it's not the easiest task in the world. =(

kyoshiro 05-12-2011 09:33 PM

You should rinse the vehicle to the point where majority of particles are off
then wash pad + soap will take even more off then rinsing
there shouldnt really be much left for MFs to pick up and if there is you can consider getting some microfiber wash or some laundry with NO SOFTENER or wash with vinegar i believe also work then throw it into the laundry machine at warm.
Otherwise, soak with all purpose cleaner and do a bit of manual scrubbing should get things off.
For soiled MFs from ONR, I get my leather cleaning brush and brush my MFs clean (not all MFs can take it though and you really gotta watch out for the end)

!Yaminashi 05-13-2011 08:51 AM

Waffleweave is amazing for drying your car, I was once a chamois user as well, it definitely does not even compare to a waffleweave