REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   purchasing a car from victoria, aircare questions (https://www.revscene.net/forums/645249-purchasing-car-victoria-aircare-questions.html)

haymura 05-12-2011 10:23 PM

purchasing a car from victoria, aircare questions

I tried to do a search but nothing specific enough came up for my question.

I am looking to purchase a 1991 Nissan Skyline GTR from Victoria. I know there is no aircare law there but i obviously need to make this pass aircare to insure it here in vancouver. Now i was told by a couple people that GTRs are a bitch to pass aircare even on stock form. I need some light shed on this and am i looking at a possible money guzzler just to get it to pass here.

here is the link to the ad:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...320803722.html

thanks for any help.

some_punk 05-12-2011 10:35 PM

go see koju at takeda racing, he gets alot of modded gtr to pass with his double cat.

haymura 05-12-2011 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by some_punk (Post 7431838)
go see koju at takeda racing, he gets alot of modded gtr to pass with his double cat.

so in other words, i gotta spend money just to make a gtr pass aircare?

1exotic 05-12-2011 11:03 PM

basically, there is no way its passing the way it stands now...

Expresso 05-12-2011 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by some_punk (Post 7431838)

I thought Takaeda closed up shop?

You'll need to get some cats or it'll never pass.

haymura 05-12-2011 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HachiSix (Post 7431909)

so your saying a cat itself will make this car pass or there's more to it than that?
i honestly have no clue about these cars and i just dont wanna suddenly find out that i have to spend more money just to make it pass aircare.

dangonay 05-13-2011 07:09 AM

Throwing a cat on will not guarantee a pass - there are too many other variables. Likely a cat plus a lot of tweaking will be required.

You have to consider why the car is in Victoria in the first place. There are two reasons:

- The person in Victoria is the one who imported it (or wanted one so contacted an importer to get one for him).
- The car was imported here. It couldn't pass Aircare, so it was specifically sold outside the Lower Mainland to avoid requiring Aircare.

Trust me, there are a LOT of Japanese imported cars coming into Vancouver that end up in other markets after the importer/dealer failed at getting the car to pass Aircare.

If this is one of those cars, then it may be much more difficult (or impossible) to get it to pass. I'd find out where the car is from, and how he acquired it. If it was sold by a local dealer, then I'd be very skeptical. Anyone here knows that a huge selling point for a used car is if it has been Aircared. A local dealer would have tried to get it Aircared and advertise it as so. A local dealer selling a car without Aircare is suspect.

I'll say it again: you need to get some history on this car and where he bought it from.

haymura 05-13-2011 12:15 PM

thanks for the advices. ive decided not to buy it as it seems a lot of hassle and possible hole in my pocket.
Posted via RS Mobile

Phil@rise 05-13-2011 12:24 PM

Dual cats to get a GTR through aircare! LOL. I've never heard that one.
Yes it will need a cat to get through but aside from that a tune up, tweaking and some maintenance will do the job. Even 500+hp skylines can pass aircare.

Edison_Chen 05-13-2011 09:53 PM

As for aircare, you can have the broker call ICBC and they can give you a 3 month aircare override, because you live in bc.

some_punk 05-13-2011 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HachiSix (Post 7431909)

Koju is still around , still has his double cat exhaust

dark0821 05-14-2011 08:43 AM

hmm to OP
it will take a bit more than a cat..

my friends GTS-4 took
2 cats
3 full jugs of 4.5L methane hydrate
dumbbed down the timing
and opened up the waste gate to fully open (so it builds no boost what so ever)
and opened up the intake to let more air in.. took off the mushroom cone filter rite outside the aircare center...
just to barely undercut the air care limit
(the car cant idle at that point, so he had to depress the gas pedal 5mm the whole time, or else the car just dies, and yes he was the one that got the car to go on the rollers, just tell them that you dun want them to be liable for dmgs, so you rather drive urself)

good luck OP... it will be a costly one..