REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Un-reasonable By-Law notice letter (ticket) (https://www.revscene.net/forums/645279-un-reasonable-law-notice-letter-ticket.html)

kupo 05-13-2011 08:32 AM

Un-reasonable By-Law notice letter (ticket)

Today, I got a letter from City of Vancouver.

It said that I have stopped where prohibited, and the fine is $50 ($150 if not paid in time).

This is the description:

Vehicle Description: BMW
License Plate: 000XXX
Prov/State: BC
Offence Date & Time: May 6, 2011 8:50 PM
By-law: 2849
Section: 17.1
Section Description: STOP WHERE PROHIBITED
Officer #: 0259

Please note that I did not receive any tickets, nor notice by any officer..
This letter just appeared in my mail box.

As you can see in the vehicle description, it simply says BMW. If they really caught someone, shouldn't they be having more information on the vehicle, such as CAR MODEL and COLOR?

Plus, I have not received any tickets.. is this the lawful way of fining someone?

I am really swamped why I am receiving this letter, and totally clueless on when I have stopped at the prohibited zone. They can't just write down the license plate of a car they hate, and slap a fine in their mail box..

Can anyone give me any suggestions? Should I dispute this ticket, or should I just pay the $50 and call this an unlucky day?

gars 05-13-2011 08:46 AM

I believe City of Vancouver guys will have taken a picture of your car stopped in the spot. Otherwise, they will never win any of the disputes. Most of the time - when you're just stopped there - the meter maid doesn't have time to hand the ticket to you before you drive off - so the tickets just show up in the mail.

If you really didn't do it - then sure, go ahead and dispute, but if you really did, you will most likely lose the dispute - and lose another $100.

kupo 05-13-2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gars (Post 7432165)
I believe City of Vancouver guys will have taken a picture of your car stopped in the spot. Otherwise, they will never win any of the disputes. Most of the time - when you're just stopped there - the meter maid doesn't have time to hand the ticket to you before you drive off - so the tickets just show up in the mail.

If you really didn't do it - then sure, go ahead and dispute, but if you really did, you will most likely lose the dispute - and lose another $100.

Thank you for the reply, gars.

From your response, I think I will go ahead with the dispute. I really can't think of a time and reason to stop at a prohibited zone. In other words, no such picture should exist.

RevRav 05-13-2011 03:04 PM

Do you really drive a BMW? Or is the RSX your only car?

Jeremy617 05-13-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kupo (Post 7432171)
Thank you for the reply, gars.

From your response, I think I will go ahead with the dispute. I really can't think of a time and reason to stop at a prohibited zone. In other words, no such picture should exist.

did you park there or not?

the ticket was a week ago? If someone asked me if i parked on alberni street last week at 8:50pm on a friday night, i'm pretty sure i could give a definite yes or no.