REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Legalities to taking doors off jeep (https://www.revscene.net/forums/645770-legalities-taking-doors-off-jeep.html)

civic_rice 05-19-2011 04:58 PM

Legalities to taking doors off jeep

Can one of our fine police officers chime in on taking doors off a jeep wrangler? Can I do it if I relocate the mirrors? Or do I have to get the door bars with mesh?
Posted via RS Mobile

zulutango 05-19-2011 06:28 PM

If it came from the factory with doors, you must still have them on the Jeep when you are on a "highway". I believe that early 1970's Jeeps had doors as an option on the basic model. I remember looking at one in 1972 and floor mats, a top, the passenger seat and doors were all options. Easy for Cops to tell if it came with doors...look at the build year, look for hinges and door striker panels. got them, it came with doors.

Div 7 of the Regs says..
Door, body, hood

11 The vehicle shall comply with section 19.02 of the regulations with regard to size and dimension.

Doors — Doors shall be installed in a vehicle where the vehicle was manufactured with doors.

The doors with which a vehicle is equipped shall be in good working order, and any hinge, latch or handle must not be broken, missing or inoperable.

The doors shall not be warped, twisted or weakened to the extent that a slight jar will open them.

A door shall be capable of being opened or closed with normal effort.

According to yahoo answers..
Jeep utility models built prior to 1987 were not fitted with doors as standard equipment by the factory, This includes all Jeep CJ models (cj2a, cj3a, cj3b, cj5, cj6, cj7, cj 8, cj10a, as well as military models such as mb, m38, m38a1.

civic_rice 05-19-2011 07:04 PM

That's sorta what I figured, now my next question is if I went and got those tube doors with mesh on them would I get a ticket, technically yes it's aftermarket but it meets the requirements u have listed.
Posted via RS Mobile

Phil@rise 05-19-2011 08:39 PM

As long as you have your seatbelts on and mirror installed the police seldom give grief over no doors on wranglers. I know numerous jeep owners who do so without trouble and even one who drives with his windshield folded down.

zulutango 05-20-2011 04:41 AM

And when the get stopped and ticketed they will be on RS and whinng about harassment :). As far as the aftermarket tube and mesh doors being legal...they would have to be "approved" to be legal and would have to meet the same federal transport canada, canada safety act standards as the original ones.

civic_rice 05-20-2011 05:38 AM

Ok thanks guys.... I just find it funny that on both my tops there is a sticker that says doors are only to protect from elements. Do not rely On in event of an accident or to keep
Passengers in your vehicle....
Posted via RS Mobile

Quicksilver 05-20-2011 12:47 PM

in other words, wear your seatbelt or you'll go flying out. You can legally drive around with the windshield down, though you would have to like eating bugs and rocks to do so on the highway.

sleepywheel 05-21-2011 02:49 PM

I've owned Jeep for many years and have learned that leaving the windshield down while driving can really hurt when you run into a big bug at 60kph.

Anyway, here's a bulletin from the Commercial Vehicle Safety & Enforcement people. I think it's pretty clear that the doors that came with the vehicle must be in place and in good working order. The only exceptions are the CJ models.

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/vehicle...able_doors.pdf

rriggi 05-21-2011 07:21 PM

I have rock doors/tube doors on a JK Wrangler and there is no problems at all with it legally, if you seriously want to infringe upon laws (for whatever reason) and want no doors.... Just do what some people do and get a single chain for a door. And you wanna keep the windshield up please, inhaling bugs is not fun