REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/automotive-detailing-car-care-tech_49/)
-   -   How to fix crack, chip, peels etc. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/645921-how-fix-crack-chip-peels-etc.html)

NeoDestinyZ 05-21-2011 05:22 PM

How to fix crack, chip, peels etc.

Hey guys, just wondering how to fix simple cracks or chipped paint etc. Without actually spending that $500 on that one body part. My car is white, and due to the car being on the hoist for a while at a shop, my side shirts on both side started to crack, chip and peel a bit. It doesn't seem bad from far, but up close it would be an eye sore. Hope somebody can chip in, I'm thinking about using some white cocking molding or silicone, and using my pearl white paint with wax and other color correction products to fix the issue. Hope somebody can teach me how to do this procedure.

911fanatic 05-22-2011 09:59 AM

If the paint is cracked and peeling your only option is to repaint it.

NeoDestinyZ 05-22-2011 11:28 PM

Can there be other final solution? I've heard where people use tons of products to perfect there exterior on the body work.

911fanatic 05-25-2011 05:34 AM

If the paint is cracked and peeling there is nothing you can do to fix it. Polishes etc are for removing scratches etc. It will have to be painted at this point.

maxxxboost 05-25-2011 11:44 PM

I've worked at a body shop before and 911fanatic is right, the only way is to repaint it. Any other options (if any) will never come close to a nicely repaired and repainted body part.

Once the paint is crack, its done and repair is needed. Which means sanding down the crack and chip till it is gone, repair it, primer it and paint it. If the body shop doesn't do a good job, one little hit will cause the previous crack to damage the new paint.

Oh, and if you plan to use the silicone idea, the paint won't stick to it or it will end up cracking because the silicone is flexible. Another problem with this idea is you'll never get a really smooth finish and its pretty much a one-shot deal since you can't sand down silicone. Moreover, when you do plan to repair it properly, it will be a mess trying to remove the silicone.

NeoDestinyZ 05-28-2011 09:57 AM

Does anyone here does a good job but for cheap? I hope I can get some quotes.

-EuroRSN- 05-28-2011 10:24 PM

^ Bella Automotive in Burnaby

BNR32_Coupe 05-28-2011 10:45 PM

i've been painting for 20 years, dont listen to these guys, theyre just businessmen trying to generate revenue for their industry. there's no way you need to repaint the entire car unless you're really bad at colour matching.

what you can do is sand down the cracked to the nearest body lines or entire panel to bare metal, then add primer and paint overtop of it (colour match the paint obviously) then clear coat the entire body panel (or as much as you can, following body outlines of the car). if you poorly colour match, the patched area will be visible.

NeoDestinyZ 05-28-2011 11:12 PM

^ This is the guy I'm looking for, thank god there are good people like this. This is on fiber glass btw, it's almost like plastic.

bad5oh 05-29-2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BNR32_Coupe (Post 7451632)
i've been painting for 20 years, dont listen to these guys, theyre just businessmen trying to generate revenue for their industry. there's no way you need to repaint the entire car unless you're really bad at colour matching.

what you can do is sand down the cracked to the nearest body lines or entire panel to bare metal, then add primer and paint overtop of it (colour match the paint obviously) then clear coat the entire body panel (or as much as you can, following body outlines of the car). if you poorly colour match, the patched area will be visible.

No one said the entire car had to be repainted. They just stated that the peice/part that is cracked has to be repainted and cannot be fixed by using silicone and polish/wax. In no way were they trying to generate revenue for their industry they were just giving the guy the truth. If something is cracked/peeling/chipping it cannot be fixed with a polishing procedure, it has to be repainted.

kyoshiro 05-29-2011 10:55 AM

if clearcoat is peeling, you cant reclear the part and hope it wont peel again, as bad5oh said, no one said you have to repaint the whole car

Noizz 05-29-2011 11:07 AM

This is such a fail thread, OP can't even speak proper english and is resisting proper advice, insisting that there is a 'cheaper' way out of it. Sorry but this just screams cheap ass asian.

Yes, go to home depot, get some white 'cocking' and rub it all over the cracks and peels, and then paint it. It'll look factory without a doubt.

maxxxboost 05-29-2011 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BNR32_Coupe (Post 7451632)

I agree that there is no reason to paint the entire car, but if you've been painting cars, you should know that there is nothing better than a freshly professionally painted body part. You can have the pride of doing it yourself but that will be it. This guy probably doesn't have the right equipment to do the job.

The products, procedure and the experience are all factors and one can do a DIY but it will be a half-ass job.

BUT, if the OP want to do it themself, know this.
When repainting, try removing all parts that needs to be painted off the car.

When it is off, sand it down but remember that once you start sanding, it should be even and any uneven sanding will show through. Body-technicians use a method called *feathering*.

When putting primer, get the best primer you can get. Primer does a few thing, it adds adhesion, protects bare-metal, it hides and it fills any scratches. A nice primer should do all those. But the crap you get at Canadian tire will not do all that because it is so limited as it comes out of a spray can.

For paints, there is a company that can actually use your Paintcode and put it into a spray paint can, but other than that, try your best to get the paint close to the original. Again, will never be as close as getting it professionally done.

Clear coat, Goodluck trying to find a nice clearcoat that goes on smooth and has a nice build. The clear coats that i have seen will never have the durability as the ones you get at the bodyshop. Just think that the sideskirt will be hit with rocks and all sorts of objects so it needs to be strong and durable.

Oh, and i saw that you said Pear white. Pearl white is a 3 stage paint process so trying to get that will be very difficult.

Good luck.

Let us know how it goes

NeoDestinyZ 06-01-2011 06:39 AM

Let me know if there any paint shop that does it at a fair place. I will check out Bella Automotive.