REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Japanese (Sushi/Sashimi) Resturant suggestions (https://www.revscene.net/forums/646233-japanese-sushi-sashimi-resturant-suggestions.html)

skiiipi 05-26-2011 01:10 AM

Japanese (Sushi/Sashimi) Resturant suggestions

Hey guys,

My gf and I are planing to take my roomate's parents + roomate + his gf out for dinner as his parents are in town for the week. I was told they like japanese food (predomiently Sashimi and Sushi). I was hoping to get some suggestions of some other possible resturants that I can take them to.

I am currently thinking of Ichiro in Steveston. My Budget is $400-450 inluding tax and tip (6 guest). I'm not sure if there is another resturant that I should conisder, I thought about octopus garden, however I think for $400-450 I'm not going to get an amazing meal for 6 at octopus garden.

I'm not super familiar with Japanese dine in resturants, as I usually get my sushi at Sushi Paradise (best bang for the buck and amazing quality), however that particular establishment is not great when you are trying to entertain guest, especially someone's parents.

Thanks in advance for you guy's help. (We want to dinner this Friday, so quick response will be much appreciated.)

Razor Ramon HG 05-26-2011 01:14 AM

I've heard good things about Ichiro.

DHP 1 05-26-2011 09:17 AM

sushi hachi in richmond

hanako in surrey

If you feel the need, perhaps try TOJO?

unit 05-26-2011 09:25 AM

^tojo will run him 1000 easily for 6 ppl

theres lots of sushi threads. heres are some good ones.
no need to start a new discussion that just regurgitates the same info

http://www.revscene.net/forums/fresh...s-t635415.html
http://www.revscene.net/forums/best-...n-t257577.html

ilvtofu 05-26-2011 10:22 AM

Nao sushi is not bad IMO, You can probably do it for <$350

Jer3 05-26-2011 01:21 PM

i think sushi hachi would fit your criteria (assuming you can get a reservation since it gets booked up quick. call in immediately to see if theres a spot!). the sushi is probably the best you can get in vancouver in my opinion. order a few chef special sushi/sashimi along with a few individual nigiri and you'll be fine for the evening.

ichiro is authentic and good but I find the items are a tad overpriced for some things. you'll most likely fall below your budget if you go there even if you go all out and order lobster sashimi and the more expensive items. raw items there are usually second to none though and really fresh. the advantage you get at ichiro is there are actually real cooked item as they have a full kitchen unlike sushi hachi who actually only have a small electric oven to cook with.

another suggestion i could say is kiriri in richmond. from the sushi i've sampled, it is quite high quality and is around the budget your looking for. kind of similar in terms to sushi hachi. the service there is great as well and the food (assuming you stay away from those uninspired "creative" rolls). last time i went by, i remember seeing the daily specials including ootoro (at $8 a piece), katsuo and shimaaji on the menu. if you want to impress, those are definitely the items to order.

oh and one last suggestion that just came to mind. i've heard kimura is quite good. check out the reviews on urbanspoon and see if thats what your looking for. should fit within your budget as well.

for those who suggested:
nao sushi - i've heard its a good place for a casual dinner or lunch but its probably not a place to try to impress.
tojo's - too expensive for his budget
hanako - never been to hanako but have heard amazing things about it. too bad its in surrey and a bit far from richmond/vancouver which i would assume is the OP preference.

abdulclamwacker 05-26-2011 02:57 PM

Just go Yuji's on 4th. Solid traditional sushi and a nice restaurant overall. I used to love Aki in downtown, but their sushi has gone downhill. Their robata is still solid.

And if you want to make a drive out, head out to Horseshoe Bay and go to Takumi Sushi. Great location and same chef's as before.

Unfortunately most of the authentic ones have gone out of business, Okada Sushi on nelson, Yoshi on Denman.

Spoon 05-27-2011 05:25 AM

While I wouldn't say it's great, Seto is decent if you want an all rounder. Their sushi, sashimi and their cooked foods are pretty good. Just don't order their uni, it was bland last time I had it.

Tojo's is really for dishes. So that's not what you're looking for and not within your budget. Sushi hachi IMO is only good for sashimi. Their rolls to this day still falls apart and their sushi looks smaller everytime I go back. Last time I ordered ootoro, the chef also gave me the odds and ends; maybe you'll have better luck. Their uni sashimi is still unbeatable though. Kimura, just don't go there for dinner if you want to have a conversation. It's really noisy & busy at night.

gdoh 05-27-2011 05:48 AM

i like tokachi and akasaka in surrey

bcedhk 05-27-2011 06:13 AM

tsukiji in Richmond is pretty good, the head chef is japanese and he usually has great recommendations.

ichiro is good, but you pay a slight premium just cause your eating in steveston.

Hakkaboy 05-27-2011 08:52 AM

i went to takifugu in richmond and their sashimi was pretty good.

http://www.takifugu.ca/

only thing is the chefs/workers are chinese not japanese if you are picky like that...

Phil@rise 05-27-2011 10:00 AM

Sushi Hachi is the bomb but real tough to get a table (small) especially for that many people.
Tojo's is great but not worth the money.
Ichiro is great value and much easier to get a table there.
Takifugu is also quite good and has much more space to accomodate your group and is less likely to be overbooked being new.

freakshow 05-27-2011 10:45 AM

I think you can have a pretty decent meal at Octopus Garden. $450 is still about 60 bucks per person, that's decent; unless you're drinking I guess.

You might not be stuffed, but you probably won't leave starving.

skiiipi 05-27-2011 11:42 PM

Hey guys, thank you to everyone for their help and suggestions
I ended up sticking with Ichiro as I was familiar with the menu,and as someone mentioned, they have a good mixture of sushi as well as the cooked stuff like teriyaki and such.

But by the sounds of it I will definately try Sushi hachi as it sounds like another great japanese resturant.

observer 05-28-2011 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiiipi (Post 7450679)
But by the sounds of it I will definately try Sushi hachi as it sounds like another great japanese resturant.

Yes, Sushi Hachi gets my vote as well.

cdizzle 05-28-2011 11:30 PM

I tried Toshi Sushi on Main and 16th, thought it was pretty good.
All seafood items were really fresh, and their baked eggplant was really good!

mas604 05-28-2011 11:56 PM

In Surrey Tokachi's the best, but the neighbourhood can be a little unpleasant. The Sashimi are amazing quality not like those 'all you can eat' cheap orangey colored sashimi.

murd0c 05-29-2011 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mas604 (Post 7451706)
In Surrey Tokachi's the best, but the neighbourhood can be a little unpleasant. The Sashimi are amazing quality not like those 'all you can eat' cheap orangey colored sashimi.

Yep I have been there a number of times and the sashimi has always been excellent. I find the prices very reasonable as well.

Drow 05-29-2011 02:34 PM

seto in richmond !