REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Hit a deer but cant prove it?? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/646762-hit-deer-but-cant-prove.html)

kolkim 06-01-2011 10:40 PM

Hit a deer but cant prove it??

Yesterday I was driving along with my buddy, just started to rain and turned the corner and there was a deer running across the road. I was turning right and he was running left, so I steered to the right and just tapped him with the corner of my front left bumper, now sliding to the right I countersteered left, ended up in a ditch with alot of damage. it started to rain HEAVILY, now they are saying that I can't prove the deer was there because they couldn't find any deer hair.

What do I do??? I really dont want to pay at least 4500$ for this!

geeknerd 06-01-2011 11:20 PM

next time just hit it full on.

jbsali 06-02-2011 12:04 AM

i heard something about a guy with a similar issue on 8thcivic.com. some guy with the username prof green is being investigated by icbc for insurance fraud. claiming that he was trying to tamper with evidence or something like that.. can't remember exact details

gl to you though :)

lmao.. just trolling! saw the same thread title on 8thcivic too.. :troll:

but seriously, i'm sure the body shop will find some sort of evidence of the deer and report it to icbc

- kT 06-02-2011 12:16 AM

just hope they're able to find some evidence of the deer. as stated above, you should've just hit the deer full on. that's easier said than done though, human instinct will naturally make you turn your wheel

your post doesn't make much sense though, or maybe i'm just reading it wrong?

Quote:

I was turning right and he was running left, so I steered to the right and just tapped him with the corner of my front left bumper, now sliding to the right I countersteered left, ended up in a ditch with alot of damage.
if you were turning right and he was on your left, and you steered to the right, you wouldn't have hit him

Prolowtone 06-02-2011 12:41 AM

^Was running left not on the left. meaning the deer was infront of the car running to the left.

Good luck to you dude. I have almost hit one in my jeep, the work truck and my friends jeep

RevRav 06-02-2011 12:49 AM

I can't remember correctly...but there WAS a question on the knowledge test book / test...that ask you what you do do in this kind of situation. The correct answer was to run it over full on...

Prolowtone 06-02-2011 12:54 AM

^Heavy brake then full gas just before you hit it, Otherwise you have will have a new passenger on your lap

zulutango 06-02-2011 04:45 AM

Did you report this to Comox Valley RCMP or just to ICBC? Police will have a file if they attended and their investigation may help you.

kolkim 06-02-2011 10:07 AM

just ICBC. and jbsali you prolly know this but thats me as well LoL!

And KT, I came around a corner driving right, a deer was ON my right, running to the left, I was about to hit it straight on, so I steered right, just barely tapped it, now I was going to crash into the right, so I steered to the left and ended up 20 feet in the forest.

Shorn 06-02-2011 11:55 AM

this would be a time when one of those mounted video cameras that are on all the time would have been handy.

so did they inspect your car closely?

- kT 06-02-2011 01:01 PM

sorry, i misread. when you said you had a buddy with you, i assumed the buddy was driving too, and thought that he was on your left (running left)

regardless, good luck!

zulutango 06-02-2011 07:14 PM

Too bad they didn't attend. Single vehicle off-road right crashes usually are the result of the driver going too fast for conditions or the corner itself. That's what the insurance stats tell ICBC and that is what you have to convince them did NOT happen this time.

Shorn 06-03-2011 02:30 AM

Can't you just pay the $300 deductible ? Why $4500?

Matlock 06-03-2011 08:23 AM

So if you hit a deer, should you take the corpse into icbc as evidence?
Just for future reference.
Posted via RS Mobile

Prolowtone 06-03-2011 10:49 AM

Ummm i would not want to haul a dead deer around. just call the cops saying you were in an accident with a deer. they send out someone to check if you need any assistance ex. a tow truck if you have not called one (You will need one most of the time in this situation). Cop will make a report, get a copy of it or his contact info for ICBC. go make your claim.

Seriously tho? The deer would be bloody, smelly and its guts are going to be seeping out. If you really want to find a way to get it there then go dispose of it and clean the mess it made.. you may do so

vafanculo 06-03-2011 10:59 AM

What's the difference if you hit a deer or not?

Different icbc outcome? Wouldn't you be responsible either way?
Posted via RS Mobile

Presto 06-03-2011 11:35 AM

^^

Fault, probably. Repairing damage from collisions with animals don't increase your premiums.

Phil@rise 06-03-2011 11:47 AM

I take it the deer wasn't insured and fled the scene?
You don't have collision coverage? If you do that should cover you.

terryjai 06-03-2011 04:32 PM

time to go hunt for that deer

or better yet

find another one to hit

but i would suggest....look and inspect carefully on the side that hit the deer......maybe there is hidden hair inside the fender/light/or whatever....you never know =)

s300ae 06-03-2011 05:00 PM

deer or bruins fan...? you can tell us. we wont tell... :troll:

where did this happen? unless its a heavily deer populated area, youll have a hard time proving it.

kolkim 06-05-2011 02:42 PM

haha, it was a deer, and no guts cause I barely touched him. I live in Courtenay Van Island, pretty much the deer capital of B.C.

The 4500 is how much it'll cost as a premium over my insurance over the next 3 years and it looks like I'm going to have to pay it.

zulutango 06-05-2011 09:57 PM

Let me guess...Coleman Rd at night? Near Seal Bay park or near the T intersection by the store?