REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Buying a modded car. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/646873-buying-modded-car.html)

Araaadi 06-03-2011 02:01 PM

Buying a modded car.

I am in the markert for a new car. I found a lancer I really like and It was for an amazing price. My corncerns are that its an american car , and it has an after market exhaust, cold air intake and headers. It also has Hids, a compustar alarm but I like those add ons. I was told I could buy warranty even though there was engine mods, I was in the market for a new car but even after warranty this thing is about 8grand cheaper and its an 08. Just wondering what are your views on this?
Posted via RS Mobile

donjalapeno 06-03-2011 02:08 PM

i would never buy a modded car just because well i much rather buy parts that i know are good quality, even with warranty you dont want to be at the dealer every week trying to figure shit out, especially with engine mods theres a 90% chance that the car was abused in one way or another

doma 06-03-2011 02:47 PM

"IHE" aka intake headers exhaust are not "engine" mods, simply bolt ons, and the very basic almost everyone starts with. Ask for the stock parts, if you dont like the bolt on's pull them replace with the stock, sell the bolt ons and buy what you like. Id be more wary of a turbo or cams ect...

Roach 06-03-2011 02:47 PM

I guess I'm the opposite. In some way, a car having mods shows me that the owner cares about their car and may have taken good care of it. The important thing is to try and get records.

I just bought an '09 STI that has an engine tune and turboback exhaust among other things. However, the owner was meticulous about his car. Receipts for all parts and records of all fluid changes done.

Even tracked cars don't scare me off as they are some of the most well maintained vehicles I know of. I have a buddy who tracks his car a few times a year and he is religious about all fluid changes & associated maintenance.

With a completely stock car, I'm not so sure I'm getting a car that was actually well taken car of.

Kev

bcrdukes 06-03-2011 02:57 PM

I would only buy a modified car if the owner(s) maintained a detailed log book of:

1. Maintenance & receipts
2. Modifications
3. Who did the work and where

In addition to that:
4. If there's no rice and/or other useless crap (otherwise the car is tastefully modified and/or maintained)
5. The owner has absolutely no problem allowing a PPI
6. Members of the community know of the vehicle and its history

Then I would.

Otherwise...
http://memearchive.net/memerial.net/page/1352.jpg

Edit: If the owner thinks they're going to get full value of their mods, they are retarded. It should be priced accordingly. Do your due diligence and checks (i.e. CarProof, AutoCheck, Carfax etc.) and get the car inspected (mechanical, body, Aircare results, leakdown tests etc.)

Last but not least - don't be afraid to ask questions.

jpark 06-03-2011 03:49 PM

just have a casual chat with the owner and see what his knowledge level about the whole car scene is. Usually the one that gives you an enthusiastic and a straight response are the ones to give it a shot (of course after checking out the car itself)

if the owner sounds like a noob ricer, and doesnt know his shit than just laugh at him and move on, i personally wouldnt even bother if the owner was a noob.. unless the car is covered in golden parts that you know FOR SURE that you can profit.

dangonay 06-03-2011 04:57 PM

I would never buy a modded car for the simple reason that most of the ones I've worked on are shit. For every car modded properly there's 20 that suck. If you're a mechanic and can make that determination then buy away. If not, don't waste your money
Posted via RS Mobile

Cman333 06-03-2011 05:34 PM

I don't see why people are so skeptical. It's a 2008, it's got basic bolt ons. I personally would buy a modded car depending on the quality of the parts and installation. I would hardly say that this car is modded. Although I would much rather have a GOOD condition car, than a "modded" car in mediocre condition.

Don't let the aftermarket goodies blind you from good judgement. You should definitely have the car checked out, make sure theres no leins, no major accidents, get a mechanic to look over the car and make sure there's nothing seriously wrong with the engine/drivetrain.

If the car is well maintained, then I don't see why not. Just make sure since its US import that it isn't a salvage rebuild.

Araaadi 06-03-2011 07:30 PM

To be honest the mods do not bother me, it has nice rims, lowered on coils, a good alarm, and a nice sounding exhaust and hids. The headers and intake voided the american warranty, but I am buying this directly from mitsubishi. They had it inspected and they are saying its no axcidents in america and none here either. 36k Miles, and its looks mint. The only mod that I didn't like was the license plate relocation cause it just seems like an evo wanna be now. Mitsubishi is offering to sell me warranty for an additional cost. After all of this the car will still be about 8 or more grand less than a brand new se. If I do get brand new I would get most of the cosmetics mod done on it anyways. So I'm saving even more money cause its already done. This is also a gts so its tiptronic and has paddleshifters. I am really leaning towards this over a brand new Lancer Se. I just wanted a second opinion because this is a big purchase and I wanted opinions.
Posted via RS Mobile

punkwax 06-03-2011 08:08 PM

A good car is a good car, modded or stock. Do your research, take your time and don't let a deal turn into a mistake.

bcedhk 06-03-2011 08:13 PM

i rather hv bolt on mods on a car thats for sale then a car that has been "turned back to stock" , cause most of the time the owners half-ass their job to make the car stock.

Just take your chances, and hope that the car isn't a lemon. thats the risk of buying used, mod or not-modded.

twitchyzero 06-03-2011 08:23 PM

Lancer is an American car?

I just checked and it isn't even assembled in North America

Spectre_Cdn 06-03-2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 7458968)

Not sure if sarcastic...

as in purchased in the states, originally, is what the OP is talking about (i assume)
Posted via RS Mobile

jtanner_ 06-03-2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 7458968)

I failed you, for failing him, cause you failed to understand. The vehicle he's looking at is a US import, which is what he meant by an American car.

twitchyzero 06-03-2011 11:52 PM

I removed my fail from OP
American car = domestic =/= US import?:whistle:

Araaadi 06-04-2011 06:22 AM

Yea sorry if I confused anyone, what I meant by American car is, US Import. I am waiting for the car to finish being detailed, and I will go take it for a drive, request some more information and i'll hopefully come back here with good news.

TRDeol 06-04-2011 08:08 AM

pics of the car? :troll:

s300ae 06-04-2011 09:27 AM

buying a car is like looking for the right girl
you can find one bone stock, but you gotta buy her everything
or you can find one thats been driven past her redline
you just never know what kind of shit the previous owner put into her

it all comes down to a personal preference

hopefully the evo works out

Cman333 06-04-2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dfdgd (Post 7458932)
To be honest the mods do not bother me, it has nice rims, lowered on coils, a good alarm, and a nice sounding exhaust and hids. The headers and intake voided the american warranty, but I am buying this directly from mitsubishi. They had it inspected and they are saying its no axcidents in america and none here either. 36k Miles, and its looks mint. The only mod that I didn't like was the license plate relocation cause it just seems like an evo wanna be now. Mitsubishi is offering to sell me warranty for an additional cost. After all of this the car will still be about 8 or more grand less than a brand new se. If I do get brand new I would get most of the cosmetics mod done on it anyways. So I'm saving even more money cause its already done. This is also a gts so its tiptronic and has paddleshifters. I am really leaning towards this over a brand new Lancer Se. I just wanted a second opinion because this is a big purchase and I wanted opinions.
Posted via RS Mobile

Still should have paper work to prove everythings good.

I had a friend buy a used civic from the Honda dealership, then after buying the car he found out it was in fact a rebuild. He ended up having to get a lawyer and take that dealership to court. They were forced to take the car back. He still lost out in the end. Oh....the car was "MODDED" too. Horribly modded but still modded.