REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Sunscreen (https://www.revscene.net/forums/647239-sunscreen.html)

xmisstrinh 06-08-2011 03:17 PM

Sunscreen

So sunscreen is recommended for everyday use, but because my skin is extremely sensitive, the last sunscreen I used made me break out like no tomorrow and that scarred me for about 6 years (I used Neurtogena). I used sunscreen again the other day (a different brand, don't remember which one though) and again, my skin broke out like crazy.

I saw the doctor and she gave me some cream to fix up my face and a sunscreen sample from Neutrogena, but she said it was for extremely sensitive skin and to give it a try.

Although it comes from a doctor, I am still pretty reluctant to use Neutrogena sunscreen products. I've asked around and people tell me to use oil free sunscreen but I don't know which brand I should be buying.

Does or did anyone have this problem? Any advice?

Thanks!

SkinnyPupp 06-08-2011 04:50 PM

Sunscreen every day is a horrible idea. Get a tan instead. You don't even need to be that dark to be protected from the sun.

Ulic Qel-Droma 06-08-2011 05:10 PM

well if you can't find good sun block, just avoid the sun or wear thin long sleeves. carry an umbrella around asian style, there's nothing wrong with that, and it works.

7tk 06-08-2011 07:36 PM

I'll rub sunscreen oil on you if you need it , im just trying to help out the comunity plz let me im a great guy . im 6'1 well im big boned and got a glandular problem but im good to go like taco bell.

beetea 06-08-2011 10:08 PM

^ you made a fake account to say that? you suck hard.

DaFonz 06-08-2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmisstrinh (Post 7464419)
So sunscreen is recommended for everyday use, but because my skin is extremely sensitive, the last sunscreen I used made me break out like no tomorrow and that scarred me for about 6 years (I used Neurtogena). I used sunscreen again the other day (a different brand, don't remember which one though) and again, my skin broke out like crazy.

I saw the doctor and she gave me some cream to fix up my face and a sunscreen sample from Neutrogena, but she said it was for extremely sensitive skin and to give it a try.

Although it comes from a doctor, I am still pretty reluctant to use Neutrogena sunscreen products. I've asked around and people tell me to use oil free sunscreen but I don't know which brand I should be buying.

Does or did anyone have this problem? Any advice?

Thanks!

You want a sunscreen that is non-comedogenic. That's assuming that your acne is caused by pores being clogged up.

As for sunscreens to buy, look at the reviews here:
http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2011sunscreen/

You want to pay special attention to the ingredients like oh say.. retinyl palmitate AKA vitamin A which is a photocarginogenic.

FI-Z33 06-09-2011 12:07 PM

^i shall also look into that!

i recently bought a sunscreen by Hawaiin Tropic..and it's been great so far..i used to hate sunscreen but this one smells great and its oil-free..

it leaves my skin sheer and soft. Go to a drugstore and give it a try on your wrist! It does NOT feel thick or oily or uncomfortable at all! (note: mine was spf 45 and i use it on my body not my face)

DaFonz 06-09-2011 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FI-SP23 (Post 7465813)
^i shall also look into that!

i recently bought a sunscreen by Hawaiin Tropic..and it's been great so far..i used to hate sunscreen but this one smells great and its oil-free..

it leaves my skin sheer and soft. Go to a drugstore and give it a try on your wrist! It does NOT feel thick or oily or uncomfortable at all! (note: mine was spf 45 and i use it on my body not my face)

It's also got Retinyl Palmitate in it. Yay for melanoma!

http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2011suns...20INC&seeall=1

mac25 06-09-2011 01:39 PM

i also use hawaiian tropic, mines spf/fps 70

i wear sun screen everyday... but i also drink the blood of mortals blahh ha ha ha mwaa ha!

jk about being a vampire, but i used to dress goth and still wear sunscrean everyday. i used to have dry skin and wrinkles, not eny more =D.

snowball 06-09-2011 08:21 PM

Are you actually in the sun enough every day to need it everyday?

SkinnyPupp 06-09-2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFonz (Post 7465872)
It's also got Retinyl Palmitate in it. Yay for melanoma!

http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2011suns...20INC&seeall=1

I don't think that one ingredient is what is causing cancer. No matter what is in sunscreen, people who use it get cancer more than people who don't. There are charts out there that show the rise in use of sunscreen, and incidents of melanoma going up at pretty much the same rate :lol

If you prefer to look pale, that's fine. But don't go using sunscreen because you think you are "protecting your skin".

urrh 06-10-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7464561)
Sunscreen every day is a horrible idea. Get a tan instead. You don't even need to be that dark to be protected from the sun.

Getting a tan to protect youself from the sun is the equivalent of smoking to protect yourself from lung cancer.
I read a while back that the natural SPF of tanned skin wasn't much different from untanned. Something in the range of 2-5 SPF over untanned. I don't have an article to back this up so take from it what you will.

illicitstylz 06-10-2011 01:10 PM

http://www.aveeno.com/facialcare/ult...ly-moisturizer

xmisstrinh 06-10-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7466469)

If you prefer to look pale, that's fine. But don't go using sunscreen because you think you are "protecting your skin".

ahh... taken to heart.

TheNewGirl 06-10-2011 02:49 PM

My dematologist told me to use nothing but Umbrelle and Neutrogena.

Neutrogena has some face specific sunscreens that are fantastic and very light. They're made for women to be able to wear under make up, they won't clog your pores, have a great moisturizer in them and in general I can't say enough good things. You can try the Umbrelle if you're not willing to do Neutrogena.

Regardless of what people seem to be saying, you DO need sunscreen every day unless you want to look like leather when you're older. My dad just got diagnosed with pre cancer cells on his face why? Because he didn't think he needed to put sunscreen on.

I promise you, a pale face and smooth skin will serve you better in the long run then looking like leather and having cancer on your cheek.

http://www.neutrogena.ca/en/getProdu...=105&display=0 - This is the one my doctor told me to use.

Also for your worry about allergies, you can test some of it on the inside of your arm, close to your wrist. Leave it there for 24 hours. If you don't break out it's safe to put on your face.

Jermyzy 06-11-2011 03:52 PM

+1 for Neutrogena. I use the ultra-sheer one that goes on very nicely with no oily residue whatsoever.

racerman88 06-19-2011 09:12 PM

Ombrelle is hypo-allergenic

MeetHanz 06-26-2011 12:55 AM

Just curious, do you use foundation? Perhaps there's an spf version of what you use already?

zoo 07-09-2011 05:46 AM

Neutrogena - Ultra Sheer Body Mist Sunblock SPF 45

Neutrogena ultra-sheer hands down. Ive always had sensitive skin. This stuff is easy to apply, its not very greasy, its a mist and works great. No break outs. Go to walmart in the states, its 7 bucks, and 10 bucks here in canada when it goes on sale
I always stock up when i go to the states
My friend also has sensitive skin, i got him on this and he loves it too
Buy this stuff, if you break out, ill buy the bottle back off of you
cheers

SkinnyPupp 07-09-2011 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urrh (Post 7467160)
Getting a tan to protect youself from the sun is the equivalent of smoking to protect yourself from lung cancer.

Oh that must be why dark skinned people get skin cancer all the time, right? Or why despite the use of sunscreen going up and up over the last few decades, incidents of skin cancer have also been going up at about the same rate?

Don't want skin cancer? don't get a sunburn. Don't want a sun burn? get a tan. want to look awesome and be healthy and get enough vitamin D to prevent cancer? get a tan. Want to look pale and weak and ugly and lack vitamin D so you end up getting skin cancer when you do get burnt? use sunscreen every day. Want to support the industry that tells you to keep buying sunscreen every day? Keep buying sunscreen every day.