REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   151(c) violation ticket (https://www.revscene.net/forums/647281-151-c-violation-ticket.html)

Meep 06-08-2011 11:44 PM

151(c) violation ticket

I got a ticket for failing to signal when changing lane today.
151-c is the act.

I joined a 3 - lane road in Vancouver by turning right, then I needed to make a left turn in about 3-4 blocks, 3-400m maybe? Anyways I had to quickly move 3 lanes across.

There was a police car in the left lane.
I had to get in either in front of him or behind him.

Road was busy, the Hocky game was just staring.
Nobody was driving too fast. Too crowded for that.

About 4 car lengths in front of police car which was a bit strange.
He was kind of holding back.

I wanted to get behind him but couldn't, cars right behind me, so I moved in front of him. I just didn't want to miss the turning.

He stopped me and said "I'm stopping you because you cut me off."
He said I didn't signal but I swear I did, however not for very long.

Should I dispute?

It felt like the police car deliberately held back to prevent me from moving lane safely behind him, kind of forced me to move in front of him with very short notice.
I never moved more than a lane in one go.

Does my argument sound reasonable or should I just pay?!

doma 06-09-2011 12:45 AM

I hate you people who don't signal. Honestly if I had to pick to miss my left turn or come close to almost cutting a COP off, id take the next left.

RevRav 06-09-2011 12:52 AM

There's many reason why the police held back, he could had been busy on the phone or his laptop. Sounds like you crossed a solid white line to get to that left-lane too.

Pay up.

/thread

zulutango 06-09-2011 04:31 AM

None of us here were actually there to see what hapened so we have to use what you posted. It sounds like you made a very quick lane change in heavy traffic that may have been aggressive and you may not have signaled before you started. Even you said.. It felt like the police car deliberately held back to prevent me from moving lane safely behind him, kind of forced me to move in front of him with very short notice.

Nothing forced you to do what you did, from lack of planning you waited untill too late to make a lane change. You could have gone past the corner, made a safe legal lane change and gone around the block. That way you would not have ended up making what the Cop believed was a lane change without signaling. Personally from what you have posted it sounds like you could have been given an unsafe lane change or drive without consideration ticket. As someone once said....a lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part. Next time, scan ahead 12-15 seconds, know where you are going and make your moves before you run out of space.

LenovoTurbo 06-09-2011 04:31 AM

Since you didn't signal in advance, he doesn't know you are changing into his lane. It's your job to let other drivers know what you are doing.
If you signaled, (one or two flashes does not count) I am sure he would have slowed down or sped up a bit to let you in safely. If you are unable to change into the lane you need to be before the intersection, turn at the next block instead.

Pay the ticket.

sebberry 06-09-2011 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MintyGreenTea (Post 7465518)
Since you didn't signal in advance, he doesn't know you are changing into his lane. It's your job to let other drivers know what you are doing.
If you signaled, (one or two flashes does not count) I am sure he would have slowed down or sped up a bit to let you in safely. If you are unable to change into the lane you need to be before the intersection, turn at the next block instead.

Pay the ticket.

How many flashes are required?

Matlock 06-09-2011 04:39 PM

^So thats why I see people with modified signals blinking almost as fast as a strobe light?
Posted via RS Mobile

k3mps 06-09-2011 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matlock (Post 7466138)
^So thats why I see people with modified signals blinking almost as fast as a strobe light?
Posted via RS Mobile

ya i always wondered why some people get those lights that flash like twice a second

LenovoTurbo 06-09-2011 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7466125)
How many flashes are required?

I don't think there is a required amount of flashes. The reason i said "does not count" is because one are two flashes is generally not enough because you should be signalling before you do the the lane change to let other drivers know you want to change lane and during the lane change especially in the short distance as OP described.

What's the point of flashing it once when you are already half way? Might as well not flash at all. I don't get why people say "they're not not letting me in" when they are just looking @ the mirror without signalling. How are they supposed to know you want to get into their lane? People are not psychic, if we are, we don't need turn signals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lllggg (Post 7466168)
ya i always wondered why some people get those lights that flash like twice a second

They replaced their bulbs with LEDs which have less resistance than regular filament bulbs. LEDs require resistors which they didn't install with them, causing them to hyper blink.

zulutango 06-09-2011 07:41 PM

This is what the MV Act says about signaling.

Signals on turning

170 (1) If traffic may be affected by turning a vehicle, a person must not turn it without giving the appropriate signal under sections 171 and 172.

(2) If a signal of intention to turn right or left is required, a driver must give it continuously for sufficient distance before making the turn to warn traffic.

(3) If there is an opportunity to give a signal, a driver must not stop or suddenly decrease the speed of a vehicle without first giving the appropriate signal under sections 171 and 172.

Means of signalling

171 (1) Subject to subsection (2), if a signal is required a driver must give it by means of

(a) his or her hand and arm,

(b) a signal lamp of a type approved by the director, or

(c) a mechanical device of a type approved by the director.

(2) When a vehicle is constructed or loaded in a manner that makes a signal by hand and arm not visible both to its front and rear, or a body or load extends more than 60 cm to the left of the centre of the steering wheel, a driver must give signals as provided by paragraph (1) (a) or (b), and a person must not drive the motor vehicle on a highway unless it is so equipped.

There is no time/distance given for the signaling that is done..