REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Third brake light laws. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/647480-third-brake-light-laws.html)

BradFournier 06-12-2011 01:13 AM

Third brake light laws.

Does anyone know the law on third brake lights? Looked everywhere for this, found nothing. THANKS!
Posted via RS Mobile

LenovoTurbo 06-12-2011 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradFournier (Post 7468938)
Does anyone know the law on third brake lights? Looked everywhere for this, found nothing. THANKS!
Posted via RS Mobile

Stop lamps

4.17 (1) A motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer on a highway must be equipped with 2 stop lamps, mounted on the rear of the motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer, that are visible to the rear on both sides of the motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer at an angle of 45° from the longitudinal axis of the motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer.

(2) Despite subsection (1),

(a) a motorcycle may be equipped with only one stop lamp, and

(b) a vehicle manufactured before January 1, 1959 may be equipped with only one stop lamp.

(3) A stop lamp must be

(a) capable of displaying only red light visible from a distance of 100 m to the rear of the vehicle in normal sunlight,

(b) illuminated exclusively upon application of the service brake, and

(c) mounted on the vehicle at a height not less than 38 cm and not more than 1.83 m.

(4) Subsection (3) (c) does not apply to vehicles being towed by a tow car.

(5) A vehicle may be equipped with one additional centre-mounted stop lamp that is capable of displaying only red light visible to the rear.

(6) A public passenger vehicle may be equipped with 2 supplemental rear stop lamps.

(7) A tow car may be equipped with 2 supplemental rear stop lamps mounted within the maximum allowable vehicle height (4.15 m) and as far forward as the rear of the cab.

(8) A vehicle which is being transported in a drive-away/tow-away operation, or is being towed by a tow car, must be equipped with and illuminate 2 stop lamps that are synchronized with the stop lamps of the towing vehicle when the tow vehicle stop lamps are illuminated.

[en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2.]

GabAlmighty 06-12-2011 01:48 AM

I haz no thrid break light
uho ohhsssssss.;gih\j\j\jjj

jpark 06-12-2011 01:52 AM

my third brake light was burnt out 3 years ago, and dealer told me it was $100 to replace it WTF :bullshit: (its impossible to diy it, stupid hyundais...)

and no hassle yet so far, knock on wood

Matlock 06-12-2011 07:31 AM

From reading the above, I gather:

-You must have two stop lamps visible from the sides and the back.
-You may have an additional stop lamp visible from the rear.

So, I am assuming it is fine to have your additional stop lamp burnt out. But, you must always have your two primary stop lights working. Am I reading right?

Teh Doucher 06-12-2011 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matlock (Post 7469033)
From reading the above, I gather:

-You must have two stop lamps visible from the sides and the back.
-You may have an additional stop lamp visible from the rear.

So, I am assuming it is fine to have your additional stop lamp burnt out. But, you must always have your two primary stop lights working. Am I reading right?

Yup. There's no law that states the 3rd brake light HAS to be functioning.

dn53 06-12-2011 11:01 AM

Wow i just learned something new..

Leopold Stotch 06-12-2011 11:32 AM

i thought i knew my car, but now i don't' know if my third brake light is in my car, or on my spoiler...

BradFournier 06-12-2011 11:39 AM

So we don't need a third brake light? Reason I ask is I'm switching my gsr spoiler with third light for a type r spoiler with no light. I live in a small town with way to many cops and don't want them hassling me even more then they do now.
Posted via RS Mobile

lexluthor09 06-12-2011 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradFournier (Post 7469173)
So we don't need a third brake light? Reason I ask is I'm switching my gsr spoiler with third light for a type r spoiler with no light. I live in a small town with way to many cops and don't want them hassling me even more then they do now.
Posted via RS Mobile

there's a 3rd brake light in the car on integras, on a GSR with spoiler they're suppose to disable to interior one since it has the spoiler one.

On other cars that have a spoiler like the type R you use the inside one for the 3rd brake light. (if you don't want to be hassled)

!Tigger 06-13-2011 09:10 PM

lol 06 sonata? its a regular bulb. you can diy it. trust me

BradFournier 06-13-2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lexluthor09 (Post 7469639)
there's a 3rd brake light in the car on integras, on a GSR with spoiler they're suppose to disable to interior one since it has the spoiler one.

On other cars that have a spoiler like the type R you use the inside one for the 3rd brake light. (if you don't want to be hassled)

I know it's inside on the type r, I'm saying I wouldnt have a third break light if I out a type r spoiler on.
Posted via RS Mobile