REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/autobody-lighting-structural-tech_192/)
-   -   Anyone experienced with touch up paint? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/647914-anyone-experienced-touch-up-paint.html)

rocksforsale 06-18-2011 08:16 PM

Anyone experienced with touch up paint?

Okay, i need some help with touch up paint. I bought OEM touch up paint and clearcoat today from BMW, but the thing felt like it had been sitting for a year on the shelf; it was really thick and didn't really match my paint. When i tried to fill in some road rash (small paint chips), the paint that i dripped into the center of the chip with a toothpick, it just stayed as a blob. Unfortunately i continued doing it to most of the chips thinking it'll flatten out later, but i realized i really fked up. Being an amateur at this, i also did some deeper and larger chips on my rear bumper... that did not turn out well at all. The paint is thicker than it should be and is noticeably bumpy. What should i do? Can i reverse my work by wet sanding it?

Stuff i have:
1. oem paint and clearcoat
2. a set of 3M sanding paper 5 sheets ranging from "body work" roughness to "clearcoat/polish"
3. acetone (in form of nail polish remover)
4. for after the job is done: wax, claybar, polish and buffer <-- which will hopefully take car of the roughened paint from sanding

solutions:
1. take it to a shop and get it professionally done
2. reverse it by sanding it and buy some Dr.colorchip (which i heard and seen work really well)
3. a friendly rs-er wants to help and ill pay em gratuity :fullofwin:

TIIFanatic 06-19-2011 08:26 AM

did you shake the crap out of the touch up pen? you could let the touch up area dry out and see what happens, maybe re touch up or try some acetone and wipe a little off, rub some rubbing compound where the smears are and re apply. if it doesnt come off u prob need thinners/gun wash. Try not to sand it as it might hit the good paint and that requires polishing. hope i make sense

VR6GTI 06-24-2011 09:15 AM

Touch up paint is hit or miss, 90% of the time the color wont match because depending on where your car was made it could be a shade darker or lighter than where the touch up paint was made. I think people have bigger expectations with touch up paint. Really its just for touch ups to reduce the time of rust showing, or covering plastic on bumpers that have scrapes, a careful hand and dont rush and you'll have as good of a job as anyone.

tiger_handheld 06-24-2011 11:01 AM

i've used touch up pain on my 95 civic. it's like painting your nails ( i actually watch a youtube video before starting).
you need a little bit of paint and it covers a lot of car. you also need 1-2 coats. I put on 1 "coat" and then let it sit for 24hrs. then coat #2. i never got it to even perfectly, but its damn near perfect. Also, forget the sand paper, you'll do more harm than good. Never use clearcoat as well - i made a horrible mistake on one spot.

also like others have mentioned, you need to shake it .. like what the monkey is doing..:jerkit:

I bought my paint from canadian tire, and it was an exact match!