REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   ganglion on your wrist (https://www.revscene.net/forums/647993-ganglion-your-wrist.html)

Philly74 06-19-2011 08:57 PM

ganglion on your wrist

Has anyone had ganglion on their wrist and having a surgery to remove it?
i'll be having a surgery to remove it in one month from now and i was told i'll be off work for one month. How sore would i really be?

If anyone wants to know what ganglion is;
Ganglion: A ganglion cyst is a tumor or swelling on top of a joint or the covering of a tendon (tissue that connects muscle to bone). It looks like a sac of liquid (cyst). Inside the cyst is a thick, sticky, clear, colorless, jellylike material. Depending on the size, cysts may feel firm or spongy.

optiblue 06-22-2011 09:14 PM

ooo I actually had this a couple of months back. Doctor said that it was from doing repetitive motions at work and I could try massaging it out or pressing on it and it might burst and go away. Was lucky enough that her advice actually worked for me.

Have you tried that method or has your doctor also already tried the needle and syringe to remove the fluid? My doctor said surgery is the last resort only if the above failed and if the patient is feeling pain. My coworker had his surgically removed and he said that like any procedure going under the blade and getting stitches after will require healing. For him, the pain afterwards was not even close to the pain he was experiencing when he still had the ganglion.

mickz 06-22-2011 09:29 PM

I had one a few years back. I went to my family doctor and had her stick a syringe in to drain the fluid. The liquid was too thick for the gauge of needle she was using but she was able to slowly squeeze the fluid out because she had punctured the cyst.

A few weeks later the cyst reappeared and that's when I hit it with a book (I'm not kidding) and it never came back.

I considered surgery as well but that was going to be my absolute LAST resort.

Philly74 06-24-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by optiblue (Post 7486780)
ooo I actually had this a couple of months back. Doctor said that it was from doing repetitive motions at work and I could try massaging it out or pressing on it and it might burst and go away. Was lucky enough that her advice actually worked for me.

Have you tried that method or has your doctor also already tried the needle and syringe to remove the fluid? My doctor said surgery is the last resort only if the above failed and if the patient is feeling pain. My coworker had his surgically removed and he said that like any procedure going under the blade and getting stitches after will require healing. For him, the pain afterwards was not even close to the pain he was experiencing when he still had the ganglion.

i'm going to assume yours was soft? Mine is hard like a rock and massaging it doesnt really help. For your coworker, how long did the pain lasted after the surgery?

Mickz- i was reading online about that and i cant see myself using a book or anything to hit it. I was actually surprise that was even mention but hey if it help then why not, just not for me. lol

denham 06-26-2011 08:22 PM

I had one that went away and then came back a couple of times. It's gone again now and I'm hoping it's for good. I have spoken to a couple of people who had them come back quite a few times and eventually had surgery as the only way of preventing them from returning again. They both said the surgery wasn't a big deal and recovery took a few weeks. Hope it goes well!

Phil@rise 06-28-2011 12:11 PM

My mom and my bro get them. My mom opts to have the doc drain it with a needle and as such it comes back more frequently and my bro got tired of that route and put his wrist between two telephone books and smashed it with his other hand. POP and it doesn't come back anymore.

Philly74 06-28-2011 09:09 PM

thanks for all the reply everyone.

i still cant wrap my head around using something to smash my wrist... owell

k3mps 06-28-2011 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philly74 (Post 7493969)
thanks for all the reply everyone.

i still cant wrap my head around using something to smash my wrist... owell

i have it too.
my doctor told me to slam it with a hardcover book.
believe it or not, that was the cure in the old days....

rsx 06-30-2011 03:17 PM

Had it too. Used a standard Merriam's Webster's Dictionary. It did the trick. To be honest, I was very hesitant doing it, but it was just so annoying I just smashed it. =)

oldsnail 06-30-2011 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsx (Post 7496165)
Had it too. Used a standard Merriam's Webster's Dictionary. It did the trick. To be honest, I was very hesitant doing it, but it was just so annoying I just smashed it. =)

had it as well..
the doctor told me to use a bible and hit it..

it never came back.. thank god

Berzerker 06-30-2011 06:57 PM

I see what you did there bahahah

Berz out.

Cassijon 09-08-2011 02:04 PM

i had one on my wrist and one at the top of my foot (close to my baby toe) surgically removed. the one on my foot, i was under general anesthesia but was sore and couldnt walk on it for about a month. the one on my wrist, the surgeon used local anesthesia and it still hurt like a bitch. worst pain EVER! even after the anesthesia, i felt him cutting near my bones n stuff. he had to give me 3 more injections of anesthesia b4 i was completely numb. honestly, i would never recommend wrist surgery unless it was absolutely necessary.

Philly74 09-22-2011 08:41 PM

after the surgery, how painful was it during the recovery?

k3mps 12-10-2011 08:42 PM

bump...
I was wondering if you could tell us about your operation / rehab
I got mine aspirated today for the 4th time.
My doctor says that surgery might be required if it keeps coming back.

DasHooch 12-17-2011 04:37 PM

I had one removed from my wrist over 6 years ago. I don't recall the operation or recovery being that bad. Hasn't come back either, though I still have a faint 1/2 inch scar.

I went for the surgery at first chance because it developed really quickly overnight and freaked me out. Smashing it is probably the more sensible route for the first few times.

Cassijon 12-18-2011 08:15 PM

for the foot surgery, as long as i didnt put any pressure on that foot than the pain was very manageable. the wrist surgery i had though, was completely different. it hurt like a bitch pretty much for a 2-3 weeks. had to load up on major pain meds to deal with it. worst part was it was my right wrist, and i'm right handed.

i still have a 2.5 inch by 1/4 inch scar on my right wrist.

Jake Song You 12-18-2011 08:25 PM

like dis?

http://www.google.ca/url?source=imgl...TUKXlnyw-0ynrA

u gotta get dat cheked out by ur physisian cus no gurls be comin up to yu wit dat thing on ur arm

phunky.FOB 12-24-2011 02:56 AM

I had this. Went doctor many times.. But like a lot of people did (hit it with a hard cover book e.g. Bible) yes it will go aWay.
Posted via RS Mobile