REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Advanced Forced Induction & N/A Engine Tuning (https://www.revscene.net/forums/advanced-forced-induction-n-engine-tuning_305/)
-   -   Muffler suggestions for 3" turbo exhaust (https://www.revscene.net/forums/647994-muffler-suggestions-3-turbo-exhaust.html)

Lowered_Klass 06-19-2011 09:15 PM

Muffler suggestions for 3" turbo exhaust

Wanted opinions/suggestions on ways to quiet down my exhuast note on my Integra.

Right now I'm running a full 3" set up, metal core cat, 18" long bottle style resonator, Apexi WS2 muffler.

Is my car super loud? No... but it sure as hell isn't quiet either, lol. I'm toying with the idea of maybe swapping to a different muffler to quiet things down a bit. I haven't been hassled by the cops yet, and I'd like to keep it that way.

I inquired about installing an ultra-quiet style resonator (like the one Vibrant sells), but they won't fit properly due to their bigger size. So I thought maybe a different muffler? Gives me a chance to maybe make the rear end a little more stealth, as the Apexi stands out quite a bit IMO (even though it is a sexy muffler).

Any mufflers you've used that won't choke up the exhaust flow, but will tone it down a bit?

RacingGreed 06-20-2011 12:03 PM

I like using the Vibrant Mufflers. Nice polished stainless, straight through design, and nice robotic tig welds. Difficult to know if it will quiet it down that much. Some of the Apexi mufflers are pretty loud so it could help.

TheSalesman 06-20-2011 12:14 PM

The WS2 muffler is one of the quieter ones you can get. That bottle style resonator though is pretty much useless for sound deadning. Get a larger resonator or add another one.
If you want stealth, then try the vibrant flat black muffler. I have both and I'd still say the WS2 is quieter.

parm104 06-20-2011 12:14 PM

Magnaflow, they don't have a full turbo back but adding a test pipe will be sufficient.

Captain Bondo 06-20-2011 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RacingGreed (Post 7481171)
I like using the Vibrant Mufflers. Nice polished stainless, straight through design, and nice robotic tig welds. Difficult to know if it will quiet it down that much. Some of the Apexi mufflers are pretty loud so it could help.

Agreed.

Also, use a couple of them if need be/you can fit them.

You really want to use straight-through mufflers on a turbo car. The longer the muffler, or the more mufflers you use, the quieter it'll be.

Loud cars are overrated.

Lowered_Klass 06-20-2011 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Bondo (Post 7483574)
Agreed.

Also, use a couple of them if need be/you can fit them.

You really want to use straight-through mufflers on a turbo car. The longer the muffler, or the more mufflers you use, the quieter it'll be.

Loud cars are overrated.

They ARE over rated. Gone are the days when I used to delete resonators, run fart cans... but 12 or so years ago, I thought it was the coolest :lol

The Apexi WS2 really isn't a loud muffler. In fact, it's one of the more quiet mufflers you can buy. It was that reason, that I bought one for my EL. It's extremely quiet, even with a high flow cat, it has the perfect amount of noise.

It's just not footing the bill for my Teg. I am open to try a different resonator... any suggestions? I tried adding a second resonator, but it would have to almost attach to the cat, and wouldn't be able to fit a longer bottle style resonator. No point hacking up the stainless piping for only a tiny decrease in sound (not to mention possible fit issues).

I know I've heard of some guys running a muffler in place of a resonator, but I think it would be too tough to find one that would fit, without hanging way too low... maybe I'll have to take another peek under the car to see how much space I really have. Last time I looked, it really wasn't that much :(

spyker 06-20-2011 09:08 PM

Have you considered mufflers made by Burns Stainless? They are really high quality mufflers that are also rebuildable,they can also make you a custom muffler to the size you want.The only drawback to BS is,they are pretty pricey.

Lowered_Klass 06-21-2011 08:02 PM

^ I'll have to check them out... guess it just depends on how pricey, lol

PK-EK 06-25-2011 07:47 AM

I'm running 2 Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonators and a Vibrant Flat black muffler on my 3inch turbo back exhaust
they are not that huge in size, you might have to get the Exhaust redsigned a little bit in order to make it not rub tho
love it!
nice and quiet and looks sleeper!

Lowered_Klass 06-25-2011 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PK-EK (Post 7489569)
I'm running 2 Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonators and a Vibrant Flat black muffler on my 3inch turbo back exhaust
they are not that huge in size, you might have to get the Exhaust redsigned a little bit in order to make it not rub tho
love it!
nice and quiet and looks sleeper!

The Vibrant ultra quiet resonators were my first choice, but upon measuring it all out, it just wasn't going to work in the space it needed to go. It was going to hang down really low, and just not really the best idea :(

sdubfid 07-03-2011 08:59 AM

What are your power goals?

Stock ITR mufflers have dynoed maxed out around 250whp. I've been considering making my own oem style muffler but with 3" internals. I want something that look stock, is relatively quiet and will support 330-350whp maxed out. I may just give in and put something straight through on the car.

I put a dynomax 3" truck muffler on my civic. On v8s they have made over 600hp, so 1 should flow enough for 300hp. It was quiet but I couldn't stand the look of it. Looked like a wheelchair van.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net..._2130861_n.jpg

Currently running stock eg muffler with like 1" diameter outlet haha.

Lowered_Klass 07-03-2011 08:47 PM

It's putting down around 300whp as it's set up right now. Might turn up the boost a bit somewhere down the line, but for now, it's got more than enough to get me into trouble lol

But that would be ideal. To find a OEM style/sounding muffler, that still has the flow characteristics of a performance muffler.