REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   House and Home Renovations (https://www.revscene.net/forums/house-home-renovations_338/)
-   -   Lighting Stores? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/648475-lighting-stores.html)

Speed2K 06-26-2011 09:40 AM

Lighting Stores?

I want a new, more modern, chandelier for my dining room. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to go to check out some nice lighting at a reasonable price.

So far I've looked at Vancouver Lighting and Richmond Lighting, both near Ikea. I recall there's a Robinson Lighting on Cambie, but I believe they charge an arm and a leg for their stuff.

604nguyen 07-04-2011 11:48 AM

bought my dining light at robinson lighting coquitlam

huge selection ranging from cheap to baller

whats your price range anyway? decent looking 'modern' fixtures id say should start around $300-400 and up

shantz 07-04-2011 12:59 PM

check Ebay - a friend of mine bought his chandelier on-line and it's sweet, it's even LED!

Neoxphuse 07-04-2011 01:19 PM

i remember there is one on imperial street, just east of metrotown. don't know what it's called, you can do google street view. i think it's past nelson.

Speed2K 07-05-2011 12:33 PM

Thanks for the info guys! I ended up finding a fixture that I liked at the Richmond Lighting Store, I think it opened fairly recently, it's directly across the street from Ikea in Richmond. For reference, nearby there's also the Vancouver Lighting store (which is one block away), the Lighting Warehouse (also on Bridgeport) and another store (forget the name) on Alderbridge at 3 road. I got a discount off the list price too!

FWIW, if anyone is interested in Crystal Chandeliers, I also came across a smaller lighting store behind the Save-on-foods in Ironwood. They had a good selection of Crystal Chandeliers, some small and some massive ones too!

hamsup 07-07-2011 06:50 AM

Thanks Speed2K.... for the store behind save ons... how were the prices. I've been on a semi look out for a crystal chandelier for the dining room.

Culverin 07-10-2011 01:12 AM

What about very very cheap lighting? I haven't done much hunting much, but I'm curious if there is anything else besides home idol for aggressively low priced light fixtures.

kalekain 08-17-2011 11:33 AM

How cheap? You want them for free?

MoBettah 08-17-2011 08:22 PM

Does anyone know a good electrician for a chandelier install?

kalekain 08-18-2011 10:52 AM

Wiring is easy, it's lifting up the giant light fixtures that's hard.

blkgsr 08-18-2011 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalekain (Post 7549632)
Wiring is easy, it's making sure you have proper support forthe giant light fixtures that's hard.

fixed

CRS 08-18-2011 04:48 PM

In terms of renovating lights from old school lights to spot lights, how would I go about this?

Should I DIY or should I hire someone?

Any suggestions?

kalekain 08-19-2011 09:43 AM

You can DIY. There's only 3 wires to hook up. Just make sure you turn the power off or u might get a little buzz.

CRS 08-19-2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalekain (Post 7550793)
You can DIY. There's only 3 wires to hook up. Just make sure you turn the power off or u might get a little buzz.

My ceilings are not at all fitted for spot lights yet either.

It is literally old school design where there is the odd light that sticks out.

604nguyen 08-19-2011 11:21 AM

^you mean recessed pot lights? surface mount lights arent old school design, still used in new construction today

Its a decent amount of work..

but its not so hard if its on the top floor with the attic above it,

-difficult on a main floor, lots of holes need to be cut in the ceiling depending on layout of the lights, drywall repair, and ceiling texture repair or paint

-if your in a concrete highrise unit , your out of luck

blkgsr 08-19-2011 02:52 PM

they make pot lights that go where old surface mount lights where, but they still go up in the joints space, they're just small enought you can still stick them up there through the existing hole

MindBomber 08-19-2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 604nguyen (Post 7550901)
^you mean recessed pot lights? surface mount lights arent old school design, still used in new construction today

-difficult on a main floor, lots of holes need to be cut in the ceiling depending on layout of the lights, drywall repair, and ceiling texture repair or paint

Installing pot lights in an attic is still pretty difficult. Walking on trusses isn't easy for most people, never mind if there's not much head room, then add actually having to complete work while balancing to the equation. Factor in heat, itchy insulation, repairing all the insulation you screw up and patching the vapour barrier in addition to the electrical work. It's no simple diy task. Unless its an older home with batt insulation in the attic, I'd almost say it's less difficult to do lower floors.

CRS 08-19-2011 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 604nguyen (Post 7550901)

Yeah, I was looking to get recessed spot lights.

It'll be on the main floor and the top floor w/o attic.

If it is too much work, should I just hire someone?

Would an electrician do this or someone else?

MindBomber 08-19-2011 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 7551361)
Yeah, I was looking to get recessed spot lights.

It'll be on the main floor and the top floor w/o attic.

If it is too much work, should I just hire someone?

Would an electrician do this or someone else?

The top floor of any structure not having an attics is exceptionally rare, I'm no doubting you, I just want to confirm before I give you any advice. Is it going into a vaulted or flat ceiling on the top floor?

A good rule of thumb with electrical, if your not comfortable with doing it yourself don't push yourself into doing it. It's a bit like screwing up on a timing belt job, a little mistake can have disastrous consequences. The drywall patching is simple enough though, it's just a messy pita.

604nguyen 08-20-2011 07:40 AM

Yeah, call an electrician

I'd like to help but pretty busy schedule atm

CRS 08-21-2011 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 7551404)
The top floor of any structure not having an attics is exceptionally rare, I'm no doubting you, I just want to confirm before I give you any advice. Is it going into a vaulted or flat ceiling on the top floor?

A good rule of thumb with electrical, if your not comfortable with doing it yourself don't push yourself into doing it. It's a bit like screwing up on a timing belt job, a little mistake can have disastrous consequences. The drywall patching is simple enough though, it's just a messy pita.

Well, I don't have an attic in the sense that I don't have a Simpson's style one. Part of my hour has a vaulted ceiling (living room) but up the stairs, it becomes a flat ceiling. I'm sure there is space there but it's small. Not sure if you would consider that an attic.

I was looking to get an electrician to do it but I just don't want to get screwed in paying someone for crappy work or being over charged. hahaha yeah, I'm a total novice at this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 604nguyen (Post 7551718)
Yeah, call an electrician

I'd like to help but pretty busy schedule atm

Thanks for the offer!

Any idea on how much it would cost approx?

Labor + materials?

kalekain 08-22-2011 08:47 AM

I can't remember what my contractor charged me, it was like 50-75 per light fixture. They were all recessed lights. Had like 20 of them installed. Took him 1 day, but then again, the house was pretty much gutted when he did it.

freakshow 08-22-2011 10:00 AM

I recently picked up some lighting fixtures from Elegant Lighting on Bridgeport in Richmond. It's sort of sketchy looking from the outside, looks like a shady little chinese store with a red awning, but they were surprisingly helpful, and had better prices than LV Lighting or Vancouver Lighting

Culverin 08-22-2011 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalekain (Post 7548488)
How cheap? You want them for free?

Not really, but home idol has really aggressive pricing, usually half of the equivalent product from Home Depot. They just don't have a good selection for lighting.

Just a warning about recessed pot lights, they aren't friendly to CCFLs. CCFLs get quite hot in the ballast and a small recessed potlight won't have the good airflow and will end up burning out your CCFLs.