REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   camera on dash while driving? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/648692-camera-dash-while-driving.html)

gretzky 06-28-2011 08:10 PM

camera on dash while driving?

is it legal?? would be pretty nice to have one on my car since i drive alot. not for racing reasons but for accidents and stuff. question is how would i get my camera to stick to the dash? ghetto duck tape styles?? i just witnessed some guy almost crash on a curvy turn on the highway cause some idiot was tailgating him, tailgate victim sped up and lost control

CRS 06-28-2011 08:42 PM

I would suspect that it is legal. I can't see it infringing on privacy laws here in Canada.

ruthless 06-28-2011 09:15 PM

What about the no operating electronics law? It would only apply if he was seen touching/adjusting it though...
Why don't you use a goPro cam or whatever RCubed is using and mount it on the rearview mirror facing forward

tool001 06-28-2011 09:34 PM

they are camera specially meant for this purpose .. record in a loop... i have one...hd pro// dealextreme have a few.

rageguy 06-29-2011 11:25 AM

Any recommendations on a camera that records in a loop?

DiiCii 06-29-2011 12:55 PM

ask jpark and rcubed

- kT 06-29-2011 01:20 PM

it's called a blackbox. jpark has one

gretzky 06-29-2011 07:40 PM

i did a search on ebay and youtube on dash cam and looks like they have a bunch on ebay for a pretty decent price, i ordered mine for $35.. cant wait.. i beleive this will just be a camera and not a black box?

heres the review for the one i ordered

Rich Sandor 06-29-2011 09:07 PM

as with a GPS, you can have it on the dash as long as it does not obstruct your vision, and you cannot watch the display on it while you are driving.

gretzky 06-30-2011 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor (Post 7495331)
as with a GPS, you can have it on the dash as long as it does not obstruct your vision, and you cannot watch the display on it while you are driving.

i am a bit confused about this, i can have the display on but not watch it? or cannot have the display on at all?

i beleive the gps(the one that sticks to windshield) is always on but you do not look at it all the time, would this be illegal??

comeonbaby 03-20-2014 06:25 AM

http://www.szswill.com/
Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 7493921)
I would suspect that it is legal. I can't see it infringing on privacy laws here in Canada.

it is legal as recording from dash cams are legit and are accepted by insurance companies because the camera is mounted inside the vehicle which is a private space.

Jgresch 03-20-2014 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comeonbaby (Post 8440608)
it is legal as recording from dash cams are legit and are accepted by insurance companies because the camera is mounted inside the vehicle which is a private space.

ohhhhh okay. I'm glad we cleared this up after years of research.

Tone Loc 03-20-2014 11:31 AM

They are legal as long as you aren't operating it while the car is being driven (yes, this includes being stopped at a red light/stop sign etc.) I have a G1W which cost me about $50 bucks + shipping from China, I have it hard-wired into one of my car's fuses which means it turns on and off automatically with the car and rolls in a loop.

Speed2K 03-20-2014 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comeonbaby (Post 8440608)

:seriously: :fulloffuck: :facepalm: