REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   VI question (https://www.revscene.net/forums/648710-vi-question.html)

s300ae 06-28-2011 10:16 PM

VI question

I got a VI tonight for no fender gap. I lowered the car a bit more just for this show on sunday but I guess i did it a bit early. By no means am i trying to get out of the ticket. I could have gotten the #1 box ticked off, but fortunately, got #2. My question is in regards to #2 box. I don't want interpret the back of the ticket description incorrectly.

1. Do I have to get the car inspected within 30 days, or do I have to get it inspected asap, if it fails, then i got 30 days to get it changed and inspected again? He was really pushing for me to do it tomorrow.

it may sound like the same question, but the reason im asking is because im attending stancewars this weekend, and im willing to park the car until sunday and only drive it on sunday to the show in WA.

2. since i already got a notice to inspect, and lets say i got pulled over on sunday on the way over to the show, are they able to give me box #1 citation, or does the very first citation still apply since I still have just a little less than 30 days to get it changed?

I didnt get a chance to ask the officer because as soon as he wrote the notice, he got a call and had to leave.

3. after passing the inspection, does he receive the info of when and where it was done? or does only CVSE hold that info?

thanks for your info in advance.

zulutango 06-29-2011 05:47 AM

I don't have one in front of me to quote from but you do. In short the #2 N&O requires you to have the car pass an inspection within 30 days. If you don't you get removed from the road & a #1 issued and a $598 VT issues, plus possibe VT for the original defect. From the sound of what you have told us you should have been issued a #1 because of lack of clearance which is a major safety problem, but he gave you a #2 because he had to leave and could not wait for the towtruck to arrive..and told you not to continue driving because of the unsafe condition you had put your car into. Like you said..." He was really pushing for me to do it tomorrow."

Even though there is an existing # 2 on your car, if you get stopped and another Cop sees the unsafe condition of your car you would/should get a #1 VI and your car is off the road on the spot. You also are continuing to drive a car that you have been told is unsafe and you also admit has problems. Wonder how this would sound in a civil trial in court after a crash caused by your unsafe mods?

In answer to your final question...when the inspection is completed three copies of the report are completed...one for you, one for the inspection ststion to be retained on record and a third copy is sent to MVB to tell them what happened in the report. When they get it they remove the notification on your registration that says an outstanding inspection order was issued on your car...that's assuming it passes OK. You are required to keep your inspection report copy and the sticker in your vehicle and produce it when requested for a 12 month period I believe.

s300ae 06-29-2011 06:07 AM

Thank you for clearing that up. I have no problem raising the car to the legal limit at all. This happened late last night and I start early in the morning for work, before any shops open, so I have no choice but to drive my car to work and then to get it raised and inspected at a shop. My main concern is getting #1 while I'm trying to shuffle my work schedule around to make all this happen before the long weekend this week.

If I was to raise it today, can I Exerice the right to have it inspected within 30 days? I'm in between paychecks, and this puts a financial constraint on me.
Posted via RS Mobile

sho_bc 06-29-2011 09:51 AM

You are required to have it inspected as soon as possible within that 30 day period. So if you're able to have it inspected today/tomorrow/before Sunday, fantastic. But also be aware that if you're having it lowered (again) for the show and you get pulled over while driving to the show, you still face the above posted possibility of getting a Box #1 Notice and Order. Or any equivalent in Washington.

s300ae 06-29-2011 02:26 PM

I wasn't able to lower it today but I did book an inspection appointment for next week. In the mean time, the vehicle is parked and I'm using another car.
Posted via RS Mobile

jing 06-29-2011 06:35 PM

I thought the only restriction on ride height was that no part of the body could be lower than the lowest part of the rim, or that the vehicle's headlight must be at or above a certain height
Posted via RS Mobile

Rich Sandor 06-29-2011 09:11 PM

^ even if you clear the rim/body and headlight rules, the tires must not rub on any part of the fender at any time. Even if they do not rub in straight and level flight, on braking or cornering they COULD and at best you'll hear a scraping noise, at worst, you may get a deflation or rub against brake lines or other important bits.

s300ae 07-04-2011 08:51 AM

Thanks for the info. The car is raised, and awaiting inspection.
Posted via RS Mobile