REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Nissan / Infiniti Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/nissan-infiniti-tech-resources_312/)
-   -   That G35 window motor problem... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/648732-g35-window-motor-problem.html)

ShanghaiKid 06-29-2011 03:03 AM

That G35 window motor problem...

So I recently picked up an 03 6MT G35C from a friend of mine who was looking to get rid of it, and one of the very few problems with it was that the driver's side motor was/is dying/dead, as is a common occurrence amongst the earlier 2000 nissan/infiniti platforms.

I've considered doing the entire DIY thing and taking the door panel apart and replacing it with a fresh motor, but I'm not entirely confident in my skill in being able to put it all back together without damaging anything.

Does anyone know or can refer me to any local (Vancouver, Burnaby, Coquitlam, RMD, etc.) mechanics or dealerships that could replace my motor for a decent price?

G-spec 06-29-2011 04:52 PM

dealers charge over $200 for a window motor, and the motor itself isn't the problem,,, it's the grease accumulation inside of it...
i fixed my own motor myself, got the panels open (this is really easy as long as you remember where all the bolts go for putting it back)

once i got to the motor, i opened it up used a tooth brush to clean out the gunk inside, quite a bit of it.... put it back together and it's been working as new for about 2 years now since i got it done.... few hours of work saved a couple hundred bucks at a shop, $200 for materials + at least another $200 for labor at most shops....

roll up your sleeves buddy time to man up and get a little dirty

Cman333 06-30-2011 02:21 PM

We could do it. If it's just a straight swap shouldn't take longer than an hour.

But like G-Spec said, if you're patient and do research I'm sure you can easily tackle it. Door panels usually only have a few screws + clips holding it in. Finding the screws is not that easy but there should be tons of info on how to remove a door panel. Then either clean the motor like G-spec recommended or replace it. I'd guesstimate 3 hours for a noob to figure it out.

If you're still not comfortable doing it, give us a shout.

ShanghaiKid 06-30-2011 07:20 PM

Picked up a socket wrench and a phillips and spent 2-2.5 hrs today dismantling the door panel, cleaning out the carbon accumulation in the window motor with q-tips and rubbing alcohol, then putting it all back together to a perfect fit. Window is running at 100% now.

If you guys ever happen to meet me, beers on me.

Btw Adon, what you've done to your G is an inspiration.

Rated-Z 07-01-2011 07:28 AM

I'm about it do this for both windows too haha...

Question: Were you guys able to access the motor with the window rolled all the way down? Or did you have tape/secure it in the fully up position?

ShanghaiKid 07-01-2011 03:03 PM

i think you can access the motor with the window down, however, if you're afraid of scratching your tint, leave it up cause it sits right behind the motor in the rest position.

also, when you're getting ready to test it, make sure the metal panel, the one under the plastic/vanity panel is on so the entire window and its frames don't move out of position (unless you have someone to help you hold the window in position as it goes up/down)

Rated-Z 07-01-2011 03:35 PM

I don't have any tint, I just thought that being able to fix it with the window down meant I don't have to bother with taping/clamping the glass into position. :)

Thanks!

Super Dipper 07-01-2011 07:26 PM

ha, ive replaced about 20 of these motors for guys in victoria. maybe even more, even after i clean the tracks out. they will work for a bit then the motors pack it in.

so lame, that these things dont last. Ive replaced 2 in my own car and yes, as others have stated, its pretty straight foreward, just take your time and you will be able to DIY comfortably and reliably.

good luck.

PS: if you do need to replace your motors, lordco does have them available to themselves. No need to go back to the dealer and get raped for a oem piece. The replacements sold by lordco are a A1-Cardone unit which are rebuilt by Cardone and sold, which can be had with an account for less than 100 bux each.

Leopold Stotch 07-05-2011 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Dipper (Post 7497592)
ha, ive replaced about 20 of these motors for guys in victoria. maybe even more, even after i clean the tracks out. they will work for a bit then the motors pack it in.

so lame, that these things dont last. Ive replaced 2 in my own car and yes, as others have stated, its pretty straight foreward, just take your time and you will be able to DIY comfortably and reliably.

good luck.

PS: if you do need to replace your motors, lordco does have them available to themselves. No need to go back to the dealer and get raped for a oem piece. The replacements sold by lordco are a A1-Cardone unit which are rebuilt by Cardone and sold, which can be had with an account for less than 100 bux each.

my passenger motor is going, but i got broken into in january, and i want to see if i can blame that, the window was pried open until the glass gave and popped.

Cman333 07-07-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShanghaiKid (Post 7496428)
Picked up a socket wrench and a phillips and spent 2-2.5 hrs today dismantling the door panel, cleaning out the carbon accumulation in the window motor with q-tips and rubbing alcohol, then putting it all back together to a perfect fit. Window is running at 100% now.

If you guys ever happen to meet me, beers on me.

Btw Adon, what you've done to your G is an inspiration.

That's awesome!

Back in the days before we had the internet as resources I could understand why people would be worried about breaking stuff. Nowadays with the online forums it makes everything alot easier to figure out.

kayceeee 08-04-2011 08:17 PM

damn...my left one just went. window won't work anymore

ShanghaiKid 08-05-2011 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayceeee (Post 7534998)
damn...my left one just went. window won't work anymore

heres the DIY guide i used, follow it step by step and it should be a breeze

Diy: Sticky For Window Motor Repairs/door Panel Removal - G35Driver

Rated-Z 08-06-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Dipper (Post 7497592)

I was just now quoted $220 for the account price... when did you get yours for under $100??