REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   The John Norwich Riders Corner (https://www.revscene.net/forums/john-norwich-riders-corner_45/)
-   -   Sportbikes and ABS (https://www.revscene.net/forums/649892-sportbikes-abs.html)

Tegra_Devil 07-17-2011 12:08 PM

Sportbikes and ABS

what sport bikes out there have ABS standard or as an option.

I believe the Honda 600RR has it as an option...are there any others out there?

CharlieH 07-17-2011 07:28 PM

zx10, the entire ducati line up, and the s1000rr i think.

i haven't had to use the abs on my bike yet but it definitely inspires more confidence knowing that the bike won't go down if i need to make an emergency braking procedure.

LP700-4 07-17-2011 07:49 PM

Doesnt the CBR250R have it? Optional?

SoNaRWaVe 07-17-2011 08:21 PM

yes, the 250R has it as an option

6793026 07-17-2011 08:33 PM

i think it's useless. you ride say 3 mths out of the entire yr.... When was the last time your car needed ABS. I think i can count handful of times I've used it. was it useles.. mehhhh. i've ridden 5 bikes and i've seriously needed it on my bike ONCE out of tens of thousands of kms i've been on my bike.

for another 500 bucks and the reseller add on value of the ABS doesn't justify me to purchase it.

SoNaRWaVe 07-17-2011 08:41 PM

The ABS pays for itself even if you only have to use it once for the duration you own the bike. Even if it just keeps you upright in one situation, in my opinion, pays for itself and makes it worth it to have. I find that new riders looking for a bike wouldnt mind paying a little more for their safety
Posted via RS Mobile

suzuka84 07-17-2011 10:41 PM

I ride solely on track and have never locked up the front tire before and that's under heavy braking conditions. Abs might be useful under a rain and snow scenario but do you really want to be riding when it's ugly out? I think abs is useless and wouldn't make having abs a critical factor in my purchase decision
Posted via RS Mobile

SoNaRWaVe 07-17-2011 10:52 PM

You would be surprised how many people actually rides in the rain. I've seen many. I just think when you are new, it's something good to have just in case. Even with experience I still think it's something good to have. You just never know when you need it. The way I see it is if a car has it to prevent it from skidding, it's good to have it on a vehicle that only has 2 wheels that may preven something like a stoppie or a potential flip over from locking your front brakes.
Posted via RS Mobile

CharlieH 07-17-2011 11:09 PM

it's probably a lot harder locking up the front on a track since the road surfaces are smooth and the tires are warm. but on vancouver's bumpy roads, it's a different story. especially with the stiff suspension on sport bikes, chances of locking up the front are probably much higher. i've seen my friend dump his bike because he had to slam on his brakes when somebody cut him off. probably would have been avoided if he had abs.

Jermyzy 07-18-2011 10:28 AM

Suzukis have it on the SV650S and GSXF650 have it standard. Honda has it on the CBR250, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, VFR have it as options

And I wholeheartedly recommend ABS

Tegra_Devil 07-18-2011 11:43 AM

thanks for the info guys....ya, im not too proud of a person or purist that i will not have ABS on a bike....if i need it once in my life, then it has paid for itself...

looks like my next bike might be a 600RR

kinda wished the GSX-R 600 had it :(...oh well

that being said i would never want it on my cars ;)

v.Rossi 07-18-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieH (Post 7515045)
it's probably a lot harder locking up the front on a track since the road surfaces are smooth and the tires are warm. but on vancouver's bumpy roads, it's a different story. especially with the stiff suspension on sport bikes, chances of locking up the front are probably much higher. i've seen my friend dump his bike because he had to slam on his brakes when somebody cut him off. probably would have been avoided if he had abs.

Locked up my front tire today because someone was reversing out of their stall. I should have expected it, I fucking could have avoided this. Dropped, half of me is thinking fuck my life and other half is gonna keep going strong. :D
Posted via RS Mobile

LP700-4 07-18-2011 09:12 PM

^Ouch, ABS really sounds like a good idea for beginners like myself, looks like ill be gettin a CBR250R then maybe a 600RR.

SoNaRWaVe 07-18-2011 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v.Rossi (Post 7516069)
Locked up my front tire today because someone was reversing out of their stall. I should have expected it, I fucking could have avoided this. Dropped, half of me is thinking fuck my life and other half is gonna keep going strong. :D
Posted via RS Mobile

Hope you and your bike are ok.

250 then to 600 sounds like a good plan :thumbsup:

LP700-4 07-19-2011 08:24 PM

^Damn, after riding on my buddy's ZX6-R around the block today, i seriously am considering a 600cc now. Really wasnt that hard after all, size is perfect and everything.

DLi 08-25-2011 09:48 PM

The Suzuki Gladius has ABS...I think ABS is more relevant on locking up the rear tire on hard braking instead of front. I had locked up my rear tires before, but never the front...so far

CharlieH 08-26-2011 07:14 AM

^

locking up the rear tire makes for dramatic corner entrances, but locking up the front tire makes for an instant drop lol.

having abs on the rear tire is useless since the rear actually accounts for about 5% of your full braking power

taylor192 08-26-2011 07:31 AM

I wish I had ABS on the front. In the rain I've locked the front a couple times while reacting to other drivers and almost put the bike down.

Jermyzy 08-26-2011 10:36 AM

^Yep, it's saved my ass twice already