REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   AYCE Japanese Dinner (https://www.revscene.net/forums/650741-ayce-japanese-dinner.html)

charlesd 07-31-2011 02:38 PM

AYCE Japanese Dinner

I know this has been beaten to death but the quality of these places keep changing.

Anyways, I usually head to Ninkazu but it seems it's gone pretty downhill these days.

Any places you guys would recommend for AYCE Jap for dinner time?

instantneedles 07-31-2011 02:54 PM

kingsway sushi is by far, the best AYCE experience. 5/5 service, 4.5/5 food quality (can't expect them to be perfect when it comes to AYCE), reasonable prices. Couldn't ask for more.

BC sushi is pretty good as well when it comes to late night sushi, VERY reasonable prices, unlimited sashimi, and pretty good service.

chin3se604 07-31-2011 02:57 PM

^ i say BC sushi is way better than kingsway sushi

other ayce places I`ve been to are E Bei Sushi and Richmond Sushi

CRS 07-31-2011 03:43 PM

Fish on Rice Broadway location is actually pretty good.

Fish on Rice Kingsway location is fucking balls.

icemiko 07-31-2011 04:13 PM

Fish on Rice Kingsway sucks, was there last week. Some sashimi was not that fresh and their rolls, they put in so much rice to stuff you up.

Service was shitty too, waitress give us the bill but we continued talking and didn't pay yet. She comes back 30min later with ANOTHER bill and the interac machine and stood there waiting for us to pay.

instantneedles 07-31-2011 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icemiko (Post 7530317)
Fish on Rice Kingsway sucks, was there last week. Some sashimi was not that fresh and their rolls, they put in so much rice to stuff you up.

Service was shitty too, waitress give us the bill but we continued talking and didn't pay yet. She comes back 30min later with ANOTHER bill and the interac machine and stood there waiting for us to pay.

yeah fucking shitty service, which was why i didn't include it in my list. one of the waitresses actually whispered in canto to her coworker "sik say cuoi day" which basically means they want us to die for eating so much....thinking we wouldn't hear. The one thing i would actually complement them on is their free drinks, but that's it.

instantneedles 07-31-2011 06:43 PM

repost sorry

Atsui 08-01-2011 12:23 AM

try shabusen on burrard :)

Santofu 08-01-2011 12:32 AM

+1 for Kingsway Sushi.

I never try BC Sushi but I'll go there to try someday.

maxxxboost 08-01-2011 12:36 AM

I would recommend going to an actual sushi place for the money you are spending.

But if you want AYCE, Kingsways or B.C. sushi. It all taste the same me. Just the service is a bit better than the other places.

instantneedles 08-01-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxxxboost (Post 7530808)
I would recommend going to an actual sushi place for the money you are spending.

But if you want AYCE, Kingsways or B.C. sushi. It all taste the same me. Just the service is a bit better than the other places.

totally agreeable. AYCE will just never compare with fine japanese sushi cuisine. It really is a different experience when you order sushi by the menu. Food quality for one, is infinetly better.

CRS 08-01-2011 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atsui (Post 7530791)
try shabusen on burrard :)

Getting downtown parking is too much rape for just okay AYCE.

murd0c 08-01-2011 02:05 PM

I love tanpopo on Denman. Nothing beats the all u can eat bacon wrapped scallops yummmm
Posted via RS Mobile

ShadowBun 08-01-2011 02:08 PM

anyone got inputs on Taiko?

CRS 08-01-2011 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YellowBun (Post 7531143)
anyone got inputs on Taiko?

I know some people have an aversion to dinehere reviews but looks pretty good.

Taiko on Denman | Vancouver

TekDragon 08-01-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxxxboost (Post 7530808)

I've stopped doing AYCE and doing this now. I find it to be cheaper with a large group, when going to a decent Japanese restaurant, and of course the quality cannot begin to be compared.

There is a downside though, at AYCE, you can stuff yourself silly at the end with mango pudding.

Ronin 08-01-2011 03:34 PM

The only reason you should ever go to AYCE is if you are under 18.

...or maybe if you look like this:

http://www.newsgroper.com/files/post...atAnorexia.jpg

Otherwise, there's no good reason to eat terrible sushi. Spend that $20 at a decent Japanese restaurant (there's plenty here in Vancouver) and you'll get a good meal instead of shitty ingredients put together by Chinese people that don't know what they're doing so everything tastes like a goddamn California roll.

Drow 08-01-2011 11:37 PM

Toyama sushi. Try it
Posted via RS Mobile

OffSea 08-02-2011 12:38 AM

Kingsway Sushi, or B.C. Sushi on Broadway.

You should probably go to an actual sushi bar though; even though the idea of an 'unlimited' amount of sushi sounds enticing, save yourself the chance of getting sick from eating way too much

Nvasion 08-02-2011 07:03 AM

tanpopo

Culverin 08-02-2011 06:52 PM

I actually like AYCE sometimes. It's not so much that I want to stuff myself, but for the 15 bucks for late night, I can get a much better variety than if I were to go to an actual sushi bar. When I go to AYCE, it's not because I'm craving sushi/sashimi. But I can go and get wings, and short ribs, and gomae and etc. Things that just add up to a hefty bill if you order them from a decent sushi place.

Maybe it's just me and people actually go for the garbage sushi/sashimi?