REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Geoduck in Vancouver? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/650764-geoduck-vancouver.html)

Culture_Vulture 07-31-2011 10:11 PM

Geoduck in Vancouver?

Hey all,

My girlfriend's family is visiting from Asia and they want to try some joints that serve geoduck. Personally I'm not a fan of geoduck so I have no clue where to get them.

Doesn't have to be an Asian restaurant. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

racerman88 07-31-2011 10:14 PM

any of the nicer Chinese restaurants should serve it. It is also seasonal, so you might want to call ahead

donjalapeno 07-31-2011 10:25 PM

geoduck gives me goosebumps...doesnt look appetizing at all

Culverin 07-31-2011 11:07 PM

Geoduck is awesome. Some people in my extended family are distributors. It looks weird, but the texture is similar to squid but like fresh good squid, not the gross slimey stuff.

Anyways, you might want to prep it at home, it's going to save you a boatload of money. Prep it by cleaning and and removing the shell, outer layer and the body. All we want is the nose or nozzle thing. Then slice it super SUPER thin.

I've had it lots growing up, here are my recommendations.
  • sashimi (wasabi and soy on the side)
  • a QUICK blanch in boiling water. I'm talking less than 15 second blanch. The worst thing you can do is over cook it. Take some soy, and sugar and jalapenos and heat that up. Green onion slivers in that, and either drizzle the concoction over the geoduck or use it as a dipping sauce.
  • Make a plain or chicken congee, take the raw slices of geoduck and put them in your empty bowl. Add in some slivered ginger and green onions. Pour the boiling conget over the raw geoduck. Best congee i've ever had.
Any other questions, let me know.

Culture_Vulture 07-31-2011 11:17 PM

Yes, I've been reading around a bit and it seems the best way to have them is just to prepare them yourself. I've seen them being sold at T&T so maybe I'll pick some up there.

Culverin 08-01-2011 12:59 AM

post updates. Let me know how it goes.

unit 08-01-2011 11:23 AM

BlackZRoadster 08-01-2011 11:34 AM

Quick blanch is more like 5-7 seconds in boiling water.

15 seconds is overdone already
Posted via RS Mobile

Vale46Rossi 08-01-2011 12:41 PM

Making it at home is the easiest.

But most places like T n T will actually prep it for you so deshell and slice!

Perfect when you drive home and bring it to hotpot right away

J____ 08-01-2011 01:09 PM

i was going to go down to birch bay to dig for them. RS geoduck digging road trip??

carisear 08-01-2011 01:35 PM

everytime i pass by a market selling geoduck, i always wondered how the hell someone would cook it. after watching that video, it seems like its SUPER EASY. thanks for the link!

Death2Theft 08-02-2011 06:28 AM

Damn I wonder if i've been getting ripped off when I buy geoduck at tnt they only give me the snout part.

Culverin 08-02-2011 06:50 PM

I've never actually bought it. It's the snout part people are after, the body meat is still good, but not awesome. I think they are selling you the snout and just tossing the rest? Maybe double selling it to restaurants?

Regardless, if you're goofing around in the kitchen, just keep in mind a simple challenge. Try to use everything, waste nothing.

Jayboogz 08-02-2011 07:26 PM

Tin wun (sp) chinese seafoood store get your fresh geoduck dere they will help you deshell n everything.

In between 50 and 51st on victoria.
Posted via RS Mobile