REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Relationship & Gender Discussion

Relationship & Gender Discussion THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The thin line between love and hate
Mature discussion about understanding the opposite sex...

Old 08-03-2011, 08:07 AM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help

Decisions decisions

Hi guys

I'm going straight to the point. I wanted to get a bike for so long now,I got my L now and thinking of going to prs to do the course. My gf doesnt want me to get one cuz she said it's not safe and people die and blah,blah,blah. It's been an argument for a long time now. My bday is coming and I told her all I want is approval to get a bike.

How should I convince her that having a bike doesn't mean instant death without getting into argument and hurting her?

P.s. I downhill mountain bike and I snapped my arm this summer and still on a cast, she saw all the pain I had at the hospital and she doesn't wanna see me in pain again

Last edited by anti-vip; 08-03-2011 at 08:28 AM.
anti-vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
Need my Daily Fix of RS

the obvious is ditch the girl, and use the bike to get a new one
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-03-2011, 08:28 AM   #3

Lol if don't love her yeah sure lol
Old 08-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Just buy a 125cc cbr and ride it without her knowing, and one day tell her "I have been riding this bike without your consent for the last 2 months and I am still alive".
Titanium1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
There's no way to convince her, bikes are more dangerous, the stats prove it, especially among young males on sport bikes.

She either lives with it, or you get a new trophy GF to ride 2up with. My GF disapproves and always tells me I need to find a 2nd GF to go riding with ...sometimes I think she is serious...
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

get her to take the course with you
shell be convinced after its all over
Honyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #7
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:35 AM   #8
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
There is no way to convince her. It is either she does or she doesn't.
Maybe over time her views will change, but that is only if you are lucky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #9
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,440 Times in 4,281 Posts
Just get one and let her deal with it.

But be prepared to break up with her.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #10
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
Are you willingto give up what you love for who you love?
Posted via RS Mobile
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
There's no need to convince her, just make her understand you are a man, and you are not looking for her approval, but her support.

Tell her you will take lessons and practice safe riding. Bikes are dangerous, yes, but so is racing a sports car downhill on curvy roads doing 150. It's all how you ride.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #12
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Bike vs Girl

Sports Bikes vs Relationship & Gender Discussion

Vancouver's Top Classifieds and Automotive Forum - REVscene.net > Automotive Chat > Sport Bikes > Decisions decisions

I think you know which one you clearly want more.
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #13
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,440 Times in 4,281 Posts
I am moving this thread.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #14
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

you stand a big chance of dying if someone is not paying attention to the road (not you)

also depending on how much of an asshat you would be on the road, like most bike guys. acceleration is a powerful drug.

its also a question of when you will wipe out, not if.

I'd love to ride a bike myself, however i'm not willing to risk rolling in a wheelchair, or put my family through the heartache of having a closed casket funeral.

extreme? maybe. is it worth it to you to put your loved ones through anguish every time you slap on your brain bucket? you have to decide that. would you let your woman ride without hesitation? if not, you shouldn't do it either

just to add. biking done properly is very safe. too bad there are too many dipshits on the road
Old 08-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #15
How I Mod your mother

This sounds oddly familiar lol

I guess it depends on what you want more: her or the bike

IF you dont get the bike, you'll probably have some sort of regret. IF you get the bike, chances are she'll see it as you not caring what she thinks/not caring for your relationship/future.

Either way you're gonna lose something
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Yaminashi View Post

IF you dont get the bike, you'll probably have some sort of regret. IF you get the bike, chances are she'll see it as you not caring what she thinks/not caring for your relationship/future.

I think you know what to do now. Good luck, brother.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:40 PM   #17

I talked to her and she said she hates arguing with me and told me that she's ok with dirt bikes...she told me that she's not worried about my skills, it's the crazy drivers out there .but I'm really craving on driving a street fighter so bad lol
Old 08-04-2011, 12:33 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Bike vs Girl

Sports Bikes vs Relationship & Gender Discussion

Vancouver's Top Classifieds and Automotive Forum - REVscene.net > Automotive Chat > Sport Bikes > Decisions decisions

I think you know which one you clearly want more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I am moving this thread.
Vancouver's Top Classifieds and Automotive Forum - REVscene.net > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Relationship & Gender Discussion > Decisions decisions

Old 08-04-2011, 12:50 AM   #19
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
Quote:

yo brother, is this you?

just wait and I'll get a bike then be all like
Old 08-04-2011, 01:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Just get one and let her deal with it.

But be prepared to break up with her.
My dad used to do the same thing minus the breaking up with my mom and it has worked out well for him so far. My mom didn't want a dog so my dad just bought a dog. Didn't want a flat screen, so he went and bought a new one. New car, the same thing. She is mad for a few days and then gets over it.

If she loves you I doubt she would break it off over this. Just do it and let her be mad for a week.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:10 AM   #21
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Let me be the other side of the coin here

Riding is inherently unsafe. Probably more-so in Vancouver than elsewhere. We have some really shitty drivers on the road, there is construction everywhere and the gravel and debris never gets cleaned up. It rains here all the freaking time. On a bike, you don't get a windshield wiper, all the rain beads on your visor. At night this is 5x worse as oncoming headlights create crazy glare on your visor making trying to see through your wet visor like trying to navigate with beer goggles on. Every single time you get on your bike, you are risking injury, paralysis and death.

And this is with SAFE riding habits.

Now if you're like me and you want to ride because it'll be fun, it's because of the thrill, you're bound to speed. I'm not saying by a lot, but just bit a little. I ride a freaking 50cc scooter and I do an average about 5-10km about the road traffic which is already doing 10-15 about the posted legal limit. That's not safe. I'm betting you want to get into a CBR600RR or something equivalent. I'd like to hear you say that you have no intention of speeding. I get into 1 close call every week. Like when a car doesn't shoulder check and turns into me or a car that was parked popping out suddenly. Most of these it's not even my speeding habits getting me into danger, it's just those drivers are retarded. But when you put it with my extra speed, you're looking at a recipe for injury.

So... keeping that in mind. Your GF would be a worrier.
I'm a worrier, but I still ride. I'm single. I'm fully willing to accept that I could end up in a wheel chair for the next 40+ years of my life because I ride AND speed. If she's wife-material, could you knowingly subject her to that?

I don't think the other guys in this thread ride. Cause it's so hard to be seen on a bike and even if the drivers see you, you'll get a lot less respect and right of way.

So if you're going to tell me you're going to go out in full gear everytime (helmet, gloves, jacket, pants and boots) AND stay at 50km/h which is slower than all the other cars on the road. Then by all means, go ahead and ride, your risks will be less. But that still doesn't stop the retarded c-lai from richmond into rear-ending you into the intersection so you get run over by a truck.

I'm willing to take that risk. Are you?
And more to the point. Are you willing to lose your GF/potential wife over that?
Old 08-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #22

No I dont wanna end up in a wheelchair and/or lose my gf but the thing is if I don't ride a bike,it'll bug me forever. I'm the type of person that I need to try things cuz if I don't it'll just bug and annoy me until I do it..example is i wanted a 4x4 for so long and finally got one then after 3 months I sold it cuz I wasn't excited about it anymore...I told my gf it's probably just gonna be just another craving that will pass once I get it
Old 08-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #23
Director of RS Cares

Quote:

mmmhmmm.

OP, I can understand what your gf is feeling as I am the exact same. Some can argue that I should let him do it because riding is as bad as driving in a car..or every other reason they can think of...but for me I do not want him to ride.

It's not that I don't trust him on a bike..it's other people on the road that I'm worried about. People are so careless on the road and really..there is nothing to protect him physically if he was to get hit. My uncle was a motorcyclist, was hit, had to get a metal plate in his knee and go through months of therapy to help him walk again.

I personally don't like it (and I'm sure there are many gfs/wives who feel this way too), but if people want to ride..then so be it. I can't speak for others and how they should live their life..but for Yaminashi's case..you guys aren't the ones that have to plan a future with him that includes kids, a marriage..etc and I would like to have him around for the next 60+ years.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:28 PM   #24
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Hey I think a better solution for you is to take the course at PRS WITH your GF, so she knows exactly what riding a bike is about and all the safety concerns that come with. And based on your previous post, instead of buying a bike, maybe you could rent a bike every weekend to satisfy your thrill and also diminish her worries?
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #25
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

i use to ride when i was single. My dad COMPLETELY disapproves of it. But i just went out one day and brought one home. He was mad, but eventually didnt say anything.

I never went over 20km in the city. Always wore full leathers and boots.
Wiped out one day, totaled my bike, but luckily had leathers on.

These people is telling the truth when they talk about all the dip-shit drivers there are out there. Guarantee you'll get into close encounters ATLEAST once a week on these roads.

Now that i have a gf, i dont ride. Plus she and her ENTIRE family disapproves of it.
I'd rather take my car out now. But it doesnt stop me from thinking of buying another bike. I look on CL whenever i get a chance. and if i saw one i want for a cheap price, ill most likely pick it up.

Just be prepared to dump the bike, hurt or paralyze yourself.
Bikes ARENT dangerous, its all the others around you that ARE.

If you want one THAT badly, just get it. You dont need anyone elses opinion or approval! Learn from your mistakes, and live to tell stories.
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote