REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 08-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
HELP ME PLS!!!

7-Day Tour in China for $100?

Has anyone heard about this promotion from the Chinese government to promote tourism?

Apparently, if you pay for your own flight, for $100, they will provide you with a guided tour for 7 days in China in places like Beijing and Shanghai, with food and accomodation included.

If anyone has more info, please share. I can't seem to find it on google.
Advertisement
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
-Stare-

Thanked 8,013 Times in 648 Posts
heard about it too. apparently its real

but personally.. $100 for food and accommodation for 7 days?
ShadowBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
HELP ME PLS!!!

One of my friend's friend just got back from it not long ago, that dined at really nice restaurants and stayed in minimum 4-star hotels, and apparently she had a great time. So I don't think it's that bad, if the government is trying to push for more exposure through this campaign, they are not gonna cheap out.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
I AM

Thanked 1,329 Times in 294 Posts
Make sure it is government sponsored. There are some that aren't but are going for $50. It's not as good lol but you go to the same places iirc.
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

where can we find more info on this?
Old 08-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #6
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts

Last edited by Ulic Qel-Droma; 01-29-2015 at 10:42 PM.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2011, 10:13 PM   #7
2010 RS Top Food Critic Winner

^ Food.
You are human and need to eat, right?
K-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
the only thing i'd wanna do in china is girls parties drugs girls. in that order.

you mean't - party, girls, drug the girl .. in that order.
Poman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:18 PM   #9
G
Banned (BBM)

Yep! Heard of this deal as well!

As said, you dine at really nice restaurants, stay in 4-5 star hotels, and go to all the touristy places. For 99$ it's a steal...and apparently, if you know travel agents, they usually get % off from that as well from what I heard.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #10
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts

Last edited by Ulic Qel-Droma; 01-29-2015 at 10:42 PM.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2011, 10:27 PM   #11
HELP ME PLS!!!

This is a legitimate deal. I just don't know where to find info on it.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:27 AM   #12
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

You have to fly through Air China and the vacation package must be booked with your ticket. It really is a bargain. The tour guides will of course bring you to buy souvenirs but you don't have to get that stuff if you don't want.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:31 AM   #13
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:45 AM   #14
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
I don't know how your food is going to be. I've been on an only Chinese speaking tour (I don't speak the language, gf does) in Beijing and they brought us to some really disgusting slop houses. The hotel was 4.5 stars, yet the places we were brought to eat at were gross. I remember an old man on the same trip (from vancouver) called it pig food. LOL and the service... Those servants take the plates from us when we're still eating and pour it into a bucket full of other used food.

But then again, it wasn't "government sponsored," so what do I know?
Old 08-05-2011, 05:20 AM   #15
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Going on a "tour" in China is literally the last thing I would ever want to do voluntarily. Ever.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:08 AM   #16
無敵

So many posts, and no one has info on it? =O

muteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:56 AM   #17
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Probably best to talk to your travel agent. My aunt was telling me about a $999 tour she had booked (flight and tour with taxes in) so I suspect this may be that same tour. (since the flight itself is around $850 on Air China).

If you've never been on a tour in China, then just be aware that you'll be "forced" to go into their tourist trap shops with the high pressure sales people at just about every stop you make.
syee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #18
My homepage has been set to RS

I back packed around china last year because I wanted to avoid the tour method....the only tour I went on was in Xi'an and Chengdu

As I don't speak anything but english becasue im as white as snow I would only go on this tour if it was in english or at least engrish

if anyone has more info please post it as I would want to go again to some places I missed....although I do think that I paid about the same for 7 days in Beijing however I stayed in hostels and ate at what I think were restaurants

All I found where these

Quote:
Cheap China tours subsidized by Chinese GovernmentFebruary 24, 2011 Mingshi Di Staff 3 Comments ••PUBLICATION:World Journal (中文)

Many Southern California travel agencies now offer week-long China travel packages that cost only $49 and $99 per person. These tours are subsidized by the Chinese government in an attempt to encourage oversea Chinese to visit China, according Yuan Zhiwei, a travel agency professional. Chinese who hold a US passport or green card are eligible for the low price. For those who cannot speak Chinese, an additional $100 fee is involved for Chinese-English interpreter
Quote:
... that there is no such thing as a China gov. subsidized tour. If you want to check, call the China National Tour Office. They have branches in NYC, LA, Toronto, and Vancouver, as well as other places. I can even give the the LA phone number if you want to call and check: 1-800-670-2228. The person in charge is named Davy Wu.

Someone mentioned trying to be clever and "miss" the bus on the tour. If you look at the fine print on these itineraries, they state that if you leave the tour, you pay an extra $50. And yes, they do make a lot of shopping stops at factories and other wholesalers.

Last edited by krazynuck; 08-05-2011 at 08:22 AM.
krazynuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #19
Summertime Sadness

Thanked 2,911 Times in 648 Posts
Breast-Touching Festival is on in China
LSF22 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #20
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
I can confirm that this is in fact legit. This is not the first time they have promoted a deal like this and in fact my parents have done it once before and are going again this September. I believe it`s actually under $100 and the money you pay isn`t even for the tour, it`s just some admin fee or something so technically it`s free.

Yes, this includes hotels, tickets to wherever your going, rides, food, etc. The only catch if you even call it that is each day they will bring you to a place to `buy`shiet. Now this isn`t anything shady, they don`t lock you in a place, take out Ak 47`s and force you to buy something. My parents did manage to come back last time without buying anything. I also heard from my parents if you choose to pull a no show out of no where on a certain day or something you get fined $150 CDN each or some shiet. Details on this part of it is lacking but I heard something along those lines from my dad.

I`ll ask them when I see them what company they got this deal through but once again yes it`s legit. Last time they had Shanghai for $48 too.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:59 PM   #21
HELP ME PLS!!!

Are you required to buy the airfare from the travel agency?

From what I was told, you are allowed to voluntarily leave the group tour to explore on your own, or am I wrong about that?

Do you know when it will expire?
Old 08-07-2011, 12:00 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
Are you required to buy the airfare from the travel agency?

From what I was told, you are allowed to voluntarily leave the group tour to explore on your own, or am I wrong about that?

Do you know when it will expire?
I`ll ask my parents when I see them which probably won`t be till next weekend but I`ll post whatever information I have.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:19 PM   #23

Sorry for the long update but I didn't get around to seeing my parents for a while but their leaving in 2 days and here's what I know.

Beijing 7 day tour from what they heard is through the Government but you can book it through any Chinese Travel Agency. There's multiple tours each week. Beijing is $100 and Shanghai is only $49.

I know it may seem racist but the deal only applies to Chinese people holding a Canada, US, or Australia passport. If your White, it will cost more but not by much maybe $100 or so.

The 7 day tour includes hotel, transportation to and from aiport/hotel plus your daily tours. Hotel is a 5 star hotel and the price also includes admission to all the places such as great wall etc.

I'm not sure if you can opt out of the tour but I know for sure you can't opt out when they take you shopping or else you get fined like $120 CDN each or something. They don't lock you in a room forcing you to buy anything but they will be aggressive, which is normal anyways. You can surely leave without spending a dime if you choose.

This deal from what my parents heard was supposed to end this year sometime but they heard it got extended till next year sometime. They do not know of an exact date though.

When it's all said and done, this deal is legit and it's freakin cheap but if you don't like the idea of being tied down to a tour group pretty much all day then even if it's free it's not for you.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:39 PM   #24
d1
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Do you know if it's possible if I can purchase the plane tickets myself and then just book the tour through a travel agency?
d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #25
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

i went on one last year to shanghai with my family when the expo was still there.
your on the bus like half the entire trip.
they take you mostly to places to shop, pearls, tea-pots, tea, jewellery, monastary, dr sun yet sun's tomb (was pretty cool actually)
the only part i liked was nanjing, i only saw 1 hot girl the WHOLE trip n she was in nanjing fml,
FAIL me but i think northern chinese girls are FUCKING UGLY AS HELL, LITERALLY 1 HOT GIRL ENTIRE FUCKING TRIP? i went to nanjing road in shanghai too
you get no free time at all wake up at like 7 get to hotel at 9 they bring you to places to eat in between.
pretty much this is how it went down everyday for the WHOLE tour
wake up 7 - on bus till 12 - restuarant - places they bring you (shops w/e) - drive another 1/2 hours - restuarent - hotel, rinse repeat.
for me the food was lousy and the hotels are worse. they were 4 star plus was they were BIULT like 15+ years ago.
will not go again
if you do go just dont have high expectations
Hong Kong definately made up for it though
Honyoung is offline   Reply With Quote