REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   Insufficient EGR Flow (https://www.revscene.net/forums/651232-insufficient-egr-flow.html)

TMT 08-08-2011 11:38 AM

Insufficient EGR Flow

Hi my CEL has been on for a while. When my mechanic plugged in his error code reader. It read "Insufficient EGR Flow." He told me it was probably clogged up but it was good to drive and did not require attention right away. A few months have went by and I've been driving casually with this light on and I ask him again if I should try to fix it yet. He told me i dont have to worry about it yet because it doesn't effect the car's performance or the car itself in any way. And it just effected emissions. I was just wondering how much would it cost to repair this? Would it be easier and more worth it to just DIY, should I send my car to another mechanic? How much around would it cost to fix or should I just leave it. Thanks

01 Prelude SE

godwin 08-08-2011 02:37 PM

you will need to fix it sometime before your next AirCare.. because if you leave it too late.. the OBD won't have enough data, you will still get a fail.

An EGR valve retails for about $270. It is easy to DIY.

Also this returns at the top of the Google Search http://www.hondaprelude.to/forums/sh...your-EGR-Valve

Quote:

Originally Posted by DriftK1ng (Post 7538352)
Hi my CEL has been on for a while. When my mechanic plugged in his error code reader. It read "Insufficient EGR Flow." He told me it was probably clogged up but it was good to drive and did not require attention right away. A few months have went by and I've been driving casually with this light on and I ask him again if I should try to fix it yet. He told me i dont have to worry about it yet because it doesn't effect the car's performance or the car itself in any way. And it just effected emissions. I was just wondering how much would it cost to repair this? Would it be easier and more worth it to just DIY, should I send my car to another mechanic? How much around would it cost to fix or should I just leave it. Thanks

01 Prelude SE

mx555 08-08-2011 02:48 PM

Or u pull it apart and clean it out. Could very well just be carbon-ed n the diaphragm is sticking. Do that before u dump $300 on an egr u may or may not need.
Posted via RS Mobile

Puck Luck 08-11-2011 09:04 PM

Sounds like EGR ports are plugged. We don't really see much problems with the EGR valves themselves on the preludes.
There's 6 ports that have to be drilled out and cleaned. Then have to be capped off. Fairly common on these preludes and older accords

makhna 09-08-2011 02:11 PM

:bigthumb:

Just did EGR delete on a 99 prelude. No CEL so far. Been running for a few days now. Car runs fine.

Puck Luck 09-08-2011 04:41 PM

Sorry if this seems like a noob question, but whats "EGR delete"? Did you send it to the recycle bin?
Posted via RS Mobile

makhna 09-09-2011 07:06 AM

It means fooling the ECU into thinking that EGR is working ok so that it does not throw a CEL.

Puck Luck 09-09-2011 07:17 PM

sorry for the dumb questions but, how do you fool the ecu in regards to the egr?

makhna 09-16-2011 08:25 AM

You are a Honda tech aren't you. Sorry but I will answer your question with a question:

How does the ECU control the EGR valve?

Hint:
Trace the flow diagram of the following components and create a schematic: ECU - EGR Soloniod - EGR valve/Sensor

Once you figure out how these components work together you will know the work around...

Puck Luck 09-18-2011 11:39 PM

i'm fully aware how the egr ecu system works. Not doubting it that it works, just wondering how its done. I'm looking at the diagram but still stumped:confused:

makhna 09-19-2011 10:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
here ya go....