REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   question about red light cameras (https://www.revscene.net/forums/651331-question-about-red-light-cameras.html)

you! 08-09-2011 08:26 PM

question about red light cameras

so i have a beater that is currently under my name as the vehicle owner but the insurance is under my brother as the principal driver

he told me that he accidentally ran a red light going straight at 49th and granville and was pretty sure that he was flashed. My question is when the ticket comes in the mail is the violation going to be under my name or his? Are there gonna be any violation points issued? If yes then how many points will it be?

thx in advance for the input

iamed 08-09-2011 08:53 PM

the ticket will come in the mail for the registered owner of the car, if you pay it off then there will be no points. However if you dispute the ticket, then you will have to identify who ran the light and there will be points in that ticket for your brother. You or your brother should just pay off the ticket.

jackal 08-09-2011 08:54 PM

the plates are registered to your brother. so your brother will get the ticket.

jackal 08-09-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamed (Post 7540177)
the ticket will come in the mail for the registered owner of the car, if you pay it off then there will be no points. However if you dispute the ticket, then you will have to identify who ran the light and there will be points in that ticket for your brother. You or your brother should just pay off the ticket.

the camera has no way of identifying which vehicle belongs to which person. its all about the plates

you! 08-09-2011 09:14 PM

yeh i told my bro to just pay it but im actually just concerned about the violation being under my name getting the points cuz i already have points right now so if i get anymore then i my insurance would go up

thx for the answers

littledog 08-09-2011 09:17 PM

The tickets will be mailed out to the registered owner of the car. As mentioned previously, no points are associated with it so you don't have worry about that aspect.

CP.AR 08-09-2011 11:37 PM

As long as you pay up, 0 changes will be done to your licensing record

FerrariEnzo 08-10-2011 12:24 AM

Red light camera tickets
Red light camera (Intersection Safety Camera) tickets are given to drivers who have been caught going through, or failing to yield at, a red light. If you receive an Intersection Safety Camera ticket, it will arrive in the mail or be personally served to you. You have 45 days to pay a mailed ticket and 30 days for a personally served ticket.

It wasn’t you driving? Nominate another driver
If someone else was driving your vehicle when the Intersection Safety Camera ticket was issued, you can transfer responsibility for the payment by nominating that person. You both must agree to exchange responsibility for the ticket. If you can't agree, the vehicle owner is responsible for paying the fine. IF the ticket has been personally served, you cannot nominate another driver.

~ take from ICBC website

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...ting/red-light

b92 08-10-2011 12:28 AM

i've been caught for red light cameras about 3-4 times last year and no tickets or anything on file. The red light cameras are there for intimidation purposes now. That's what I was told. Something about privacy.

A.Finch 08-10-2011 12:55 AM

Someone working for icbc told me that they rotate the cameras in the different intersections, they dont actually have a camera at each of the locations permanently. That may explain why you didn't get fined in those 3-4 occasions. I'm also pretty sure that they're still sending out mails to people seeing as how one of my friends just got a mail yesterday saying that he needs to pay 167 bucks for running a red.

Good luck OP.

TOPEC 08-10-2011 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b92 (Post 7540455)
i've been caught for red light cameras about 3-4 times last year and no tickets or anything on file. The red light cameras are there for intimidation purposes now. That's what I was told. Something about privacy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.Finch (Post 7540475)
Someone working for icbc told me that they rotate the cameras in the different intersections, they dont actually have a camera at each of the locations permanently. That may explain why you didn't get fined in those 3-4 occasions. I'm also pretty sure that they're still sending out mails to people seeing as how one of my friends just got a mail yesterday saying that he needs to pay 167 bucks for running a red.

Good luck OP.

that used to be true, but within the last year icbc spent major dough into upgrading the cameras and installing new cameras, so chances r majority of the cameras actually do take pictures now instead of just flashing

A.Finch 08-10-2011 02:08 AM

I got in a car accident 2 weeks ago in an intersection, so I was asking about cameras in intersections during my session with my ICBC adjustor, and that's what she told me...so I'm pretty sure the info is still fresh.

She might be wrong though, so who knows...

you! 08-10-2011 09:26 AM

good info thx guys

Ikkaku 08-10-2011 09:54 AM

IIRC it was never identified whether all the new cameras are functional, but they did install them in many more locations.

weird how your adjuster would tell you that information :lol

Soundy 08-10-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ikkaku (Post 7540707)
IIRC it was never identified whether all the new cameras are functional, but they did install them in many more locations.

weird how your adjuster would tell you that information :lol

ICBC | Second phase of life-saving intersection cameras rolled out

Quote:

Not all cameras will be activated at the same time. The cameras will be operated strategically, when historical and current data show the risk is greatest. This will maximize both the benefits and cost-effectiveness of the expanded program.

jlenko 08-10-2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.Finch (Post 7540521)
I got in a car accident 2 weeks ago in an intersection, so I was asking about cameras in intersections during my session with my ICBC adjustor, and that's what she told me...so I'm pretty sure the info is still fresh.

She might be wrong though, so who knows...

You actually believe a word an ICBC adjuster tells you? Wow... PT Barnum was right!

you! 08-19-2011 03:51 PM

k so just got the ticket in the mail and it was under my name
gonna go pay it off this weekend

last question is would this show up in my driver's abstract?
i really hope not..

FerrariEnzo 08-20-2011 04:12 PM

Camera tickets does not effect points or drivers abstract.. only if the cops bust you..

zulutango 08-20-2011 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b92 (Post 7540455)

Let me know when & where you drive, so i won't be there. Obviously you have a problem paying attention when you drive. Running a red with a camera 3-4 times in a year, let alone those that didn't have one, says you need a major re-think on how you drive. Keep running red lights and we all know what sort of future you will have...or should I say, won't have.

If you really believe that the cameras are only there to intimidate people, then it obviously is not intimidating you. There are there to discourage red light runners like yourself from playing russian roulette with your car and other people's lives.