REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   House and Home Renovations (https://www.revscene.net/forums/house-home-renovations_338/)
-   -   Cracks in concrete in garage (https://www.revscene.net/forums/651382-cracks-concrete-garage.html)

Jermyzy 08-10-2011 02:04 PM

Cracks in concrete in garage

Was cleaning out the garage and noticed there are multiple cracks forming on the concrete floor of my garage. The cracks are very thin (hair-thin) but are almost spanning the width of the garage in some cases. Something I should be concerned about? Or can I just buy the concrete repair kits and fill them in?

blkgsr 08-11-2011 05:14 PM

nothing to worry about...concrete cracks

MindBomber 08-13-2011 05:42 PM

+1 concrete cracks, it's a rigid material subject to expansion and contraction, as well as settling; unless the cracks start becoming larger don't worry.

Jermyzy 08-24-2011 05:47 PM

I've just noticed there are a couple vertical cracks on the outside of my house in the concrete foundation as well...the garage floor I'm not concerned about any more, but aren't cracks on the foundation not a good sign?

melloman 08-25-2011 11:00 AM

Cracks in the foundation are not a good sign.

Yet with any building, over time there will be settling in the ground.
With the differences in tempature we get expansion and contraction. Could be a bunch of things.

My main question is:
Do you have a big tree on/near your house?

My family just took down a huge tree because it was pulling up the driveway *fucking tree* so this might be something to look at. Other then that, get a foundation guy to look at it, hopefully it can just be plastered up. =]

fliptuner 08-30-2011 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jermyzy (Post 7556616)
I've just noticed there are a couple vertical cracks on the outside of my house in the concrete foundation as well...the garage floor I'm not concerned about any more, but aren't cracks on the foundation not a good sign?

Where? Footings in the garage? Basement walls that are below grade?

benjiggla 08-31-2011 12:11 AM

If you found cracks on the side of your house leading to the foundation i suggest you get it looked at and fixed as soon as you can. Cracks alongside the house usually means a weakened or shifting foundation. If you let it drag on, it may become impossible to fix without doing some major and expensive construction. As for your garage, do some more looking around as well as outside the garage. If you find its spreading, get that looked at too. Are you a corner house?

benjiggla 08-31-2011 12:15 AM

Gotta be careful with these thins because if winter comes around and water gets in and freezes, it'll cause the crack to expand. Keep your eye on it.