REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   The John Norwich Riders Corner (https://www.revscene.net/forums/john-norwich-riders-corner_45/)
-   -   Icon Customer Support (https://www.revscene.net/forums/651384-icon-customer-support.html)

parm104 08-10-2011 02:52 PM

Icon Customer Support

So at the end of last year, I purchased an Icon textile riding jacket. Jacket had ample protection, nice removable lining for warmth inside and was fairly reasonably priced at $300.

A few months later, my jacket started to break down. The zipper would fly open when I would ride at high speeds. One time, I almost got pulled off because all of a sudden, while I'm doing 100km on Highway 10, my jacket opens up and turns half way inside-out.

I've sent it out through my warranty program at the beginning of this year and got it back "repaired." Nevertheless, same problem again. I decided to call Icon myself and it appears they don't have a toll free number. I asked the gentleman if he could call me back it's a long-distance number for me. He responds with a "why would I do that?" Then I explained to him that I needed to talk to them about a warranty issue and that this call would be costing me a lot of money. He goes "now is your chance to talk, I'm here on the phone with you."

At the end of the conversation he simply told me that I've had "bad luck" and that he has less than 1% return rate at his company. If I have any problems, I should go back to the place I bought it from.

That had to have been probably the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. Ultimately, my warranty is with Icon. It says so on the product labelling as well as the warranty documents I got with it.

Anyone else have any experience with Icon products? Needless to say, I'm going to look for a new jacket.

Jermyzy 08-10-2011 04:28 PM

Just curious, did you talk to Icon or to Parts Canada (the distributor)? Did you try bringing it back to the dealer you bought it from? The only Icon products I've ever owned was the Field Armor chest protector and Field Armor 2 boots. I only used the boots for 3 months before upgrading to Sidi boots, and I sold the chest protector after 1 year, no problems.

I strongly suggest doing some shopping online or look out for some good deals locally. I got two perforated leather jackets (Yoshimura and Scorpion) for myself for about $150-$170 each. I also got my wife a perforated leather jacket (Scorpion) for about $150 and her textile jacket (Joe Rocket) on closeout for $60. $300 for a textile jacket is expensive!

parm104 08-10-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jermyzy (Post 7541102)
Just curious, did you talk to Icon or to Parts Canada (the distributor)? Did you try bringing it back to the dealer you bought it from? The only Icon products I've ever owned was the Field Armor chest protector and Field Armor 2 boots. I only used the boots for 3 months before upgrading to Sidi boots, and I sold the chest protector after 1 year, no problems.

I strongly suggest doing some shopping online or look out for some good deals locally. I got two perforated leather jackets (Yoshimura and Scorpion) for myself for about $150-$170 each. I also got my wife a perforated leather jacket (Scorpion) for about $150 and her textile jacket (Joe Rocket) on closeout for $60. $300 for a textile jacket is expensive!

I spoke to Icon directly. My retailer (Imperial) is talking to Parts Canada who is a lot more supportive. I understand there are several stages when it comes to retailing in Canada...However, at the end of the day, I should be able to talk to Icon directly and get some support. Imperial and Parts Canada is there to help make things easier for me, not as my only option.

Imperial is sending out the jacket again and hopefully this time they'll let me chose a different one rather than giving me the same one back.

bcrdukes 08-10-2011 08:43 PM

I can't say that I've ever bought/used Icon products but this story sounds familiar where their customer after sales support is next to non-existent.

Imperial has a good reputation for their customer support. Hopefully they can help you sort this out. I'm interested in the outcome! :)

6793026 08-11-2011 11:05 AM

you probably got a shit rep. they have a billion people calling to complain so I won't be surprised he blew you off. Talk to Imperial and get it done thru them. Don't shit on Imperial on a 300 dollar jacket but you might want to wait until the season is almost over.

Heck call again and get a diff rep if you want to deal with Icon directly. Would you be able to show us pics of you jacket? THis way I won't buy the same one you did.

sean_wong 08-11-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6793026 (Post 7541941)
Don't shit on Imperial on a 300 dollar jacket but you might want to wait until the season is almost over.

Clearly you have issues with reading comprehension. Nobody here is shitting on Imperial. You're only telling yourself that in your make-believe world.

Quote:

Heck call again and get a diff rep if you want to deal with Icon directly.
He already doesn't want to. His post indicates that he does not want to spend the few bucks in long distance charges to have his problem resolved.

Quote:

Would you be able to show us pics of you jacket? THis way I won't buy the same one you did.
Are you fucking retarded? Why don't you avoid Icon products altogether to save yourself a headache and a half? Not to mention, the jacket is probably no longer in production.

Jesus Christ you are stupid.

BillyBishop 08-11-2011 03:43 PM

Damn, chill out sean_wong, why you getting so worked up lol. Just because 6793026 used the word "shit" twice in the post doesn't mean insult is intended. Yeah he misunderstood the OP... but way to be a douche about it right off the bat :failed:

6793026 08-12-2011 07:01 AM

woah dude take a chill pill.

it's not uncommon for a dealer to not want to deal with you (imperial or not) if you bring you used gear next time (if it in fact fails again and you don't want to deal with icon no more ). Sometimes you just have to dial in and suck it up for the long distance call to get stuff resolved and you know what, if you plea your case with the icon rep, he might take your side and send you a new model to make it up (it's been done before however, not icon).

lastly, just cause the jacket is an old model and you can't get it anymore, all my gear were purchased thru CL / ebay and not brand new stuff that you buy at retail. Just cause there's ONE jacket with 1% fail rate, doesn't mean i have to hate the entire brand....

parm104 08-12-2011 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6793026 (Post 7542908)
woah dude take a chill pill.

it's not uncommon for a dealer to not want to deal with you (imperial or not) if you bring you used gear next time (if it in fact fails again and you don't want to deal with icon no more ). Sometimes you just have to dial in and suck it up for the long distance call to get stuff resolved and you know what, if you plea your case with the icon rep, he might take your side and send you a new model to make it up (it's been done before however, not icon).

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say here? Can you rephrase?

Also, from the stuff I can understand from your post it seems that whatever you're saying here is backwards from what is ACTUALLY the case.

- Dealer warranties the product, not Icon. Warranty is through dealer.
- Icon sends you directly to the dealer and does not provide support for it through the company directly.
- I DID dial in and pay the long distance...the solution was to take it to my retailer...that's not Icon supporting me, that's my retailer supporting me.
- I'm complaining about Icon as a brand for their lack of support and professionalism, not their products...

bcrdukes 08-20-2011 12:29 PM

Any update on the situation?

parm104 08-30-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 7551928)
Any update on the situation?

Sorry for the lack of updates, I got temp. banned for warning people that an employee from Future Shop was selling a Touch Pad for $300 profit (this was BEFORE the fire sale started might I add).

Anyways, I've been contacting Imperial weekly to get updates on the situation. They advised me that the product gets shipped to Parts Canada who then sends it out to Icon. However, not too long ago, after speaking to Icon directly ( a much better customer service rep. ) he advised me that in fact Parts Canada and Icon are all owned by the same distributing company, LeMans's corporation.

He explained that that meant Parts Canada is the last stop for my jacket and they do NOT send them out to Icon in the U.S. which is what Imperial has been telling me for 4 weeks now. So basically, the buck stops at Parts Canada and they don't contact the retailer back themselves. The retailer needs to contact them to find out what the resolution is.
I'm going to call Imperial in a bit to follow up on this.

UPDATE: I called Warren @ Imperial and he informed me that Parts Canada sent him a letter authorizing them to get me a new jacket. This is the best possible outcome. I will be going in soon to pick out my new gear!

socialenemy69 09-27-2011 10:49 PM

I bought the Icon Hooligan mesh Jacket from Bayside. When I took it home and took the liner out I noticed a large rip on the inside of the jacket and that the back protector foam pad was missing. So I called and sent an email with pictures to bayside and they ordered a replacement and took care of the whole thing.