REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Bus occupying 2 lanes

I've seen some bus drivers driving in the middle of 2 lanes, effectively blocking the whole road (on W 4th specifically). And they don't even make an effort to get close to the curb when they pull over at stops. Are they even allowed to do that? First time I've ever seen such thing in North America...

So much road rage
Advertisement
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

buses get away with anything, i hate when they cross intersection even when thr ass is sticking out half way through intersection... blocking the crossing..
specially express drivers on broadway..
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:04 PM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
^ trying driving those extended buses during rush hour on broadway
easy to critize when your car is probably only 1/7th its length
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2011, 01:59 AM   #4
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
In Waterloo and Toronto I'm used to buses regularly blocking both lanes through uptown/tight areas as the lanes are quite narrow and if they had to swerve around a vehicle pulling out from the side, or for any other reason they'd push several vehicles into oncoming traffic. Annoying as it may be, it's probably for the best.
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:59 AM   #5
I bringith the lowerballerith

whenever i go back to vancouver from a different country, i always feel that any branch of the bc government has wayyyy tooo much power. cops, translink, icbc, schools
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:26 AM   #6
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
i don't mind them occupying 2 lanes so much as those douche/idiot bus drivers that pull out of the bus stop either without really shoulder checking or caring whether or not it is safe to and expect you to give way no matter what b/c it's the law and almost causing an accident.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2011, 08:00 AM   #7
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

fucking hate that shit. every time I drive out to UBC there's alwaysa faggot bus driver intentionally in the middle of two lanes. Doesn't even budge when people are honking
dark_reverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:24 AM   #8
...on a mission....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
i don't mind them occupying 2 lanes so much as those douche/idiot bus drivers that pull out of the bus stop either without really shoulder checking or caring whether or not it is safe to and expect you to give way no matter what b/c it's the law and almost causing an accident.
There are NO excuses for a transit driver to be an "idiot" while driving in traffic. None. But let me explain a little as to why it may appear or even why some drivers "go bad".

I drive transit in a smaller community here on Vancouver Island. Please don't flame me because I drive transit please! I KNOW my community is not near as frustrating to drive in as Victoria or Vancouver for instance...but it can get to you if you let it. Please remember that all transit buses are on a set schedule and BC Transit has VERY little time allowed for "slow downs" on the runs...they run a very tight timing. I guess this makes for "efficiency"...but there are many things that can screw that schedule up. This is one of the reasons it is BC law to yield to a bus leaving a bus stop....so the bus can maintain it's schedule. Although law, you would be greatly surprised as to how many people ignore this. Most transit drivers are not trying to be an assholes.....they are trying to maintain a schedule. As much as "you" the driver try to scoot by to make it to work/home on time......the driver wants to keep his schedule also! A common line among the bus drivers is "turn on the left signal...count 3 cars....and start moving". In city or 50kmh driving, this is PLENTY of time for those vehicles to realize the bus is trying to leave the stop and yield. In Victoria...90% of the drivers are great about letting buses leave the stop..here in my community.....20%. I HAVE to start moving the bus to give them the "hint" that I am leaving the stop. lol BUT, that still does not give the transit driver the right to turn INTO a vehicle....as per your complaint....I agree.

How many people on here get frustrated with "dumb" drivers? By dumb drivers I mean those that interrupt the flow of traffic by not paying attention to signs, speed, traffic lights, merge lanes etc. Then throw in an accident....construction....or SILLY bicycle riders! Now, most of you deal with these drivers going to, and coming home from work on a daily basis. Transit drivers deal with it for their entire shift. I know....transit drivers have chosen their profession...and it comes with the job. But it can still get to you.....we are all human! To me, many of the "dumb" drivers seem to be only out driving when I"M working....a funny coincidence! hehehe
Also, keep in mind....we not only deal with the "dumb" drivers on the road, but some pretty "strange" people getting ON the bus!!!

In your statement...it is a problem IF the transit driver does not give you time to stop SAFELY to let him/her merge back into traffic. But, IF you had enough time to stop safely to allow the bus back into traffic and didn't, the problem lies with you (this is where the "count three cars and start moving" rule of thumb comes into play for the bus driver).

All transit buses are well marked with their number...on the back, side and front. Not the route number, but the bus number. If you see something that is done in an unsafe manner, take the number of the bus and file a complaint with BC Transit. As a professional driver, I do not want to be known to work in a "business" that has "bad" drivers....none of the conscientious drivers do!
Simnut is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2011, 09:47 AM   #9
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
if your in such a rush to get somewhere, leave 5 minutes earlier.

if a bus cuts you off and your stuck behind it...your behind it for what...45 seconds before it makes it next stop and pulls over and you whiz around it and speed up to make up for lost time?

wasnt all this info covered in the icbc book you read 0-10 years ago? plan your time and leave a few minutes early, expect delays due to construction, slower moving vehicles and other things can can possibly happen on the road to prevent road rage.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:38 AM   #10
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simnut View Post
BC Transit has VERY little time allowed for "slow downs" on the runs...they run a very tight timing. I guess this makes for "efficiency"...but there are many things that can screw that schedule up.
I did not realize this. Many bus driver in the lower mainland are pretty bad with schedules...at least in the city proper. I also noticed late in the evening when there's less riders the bus driver will leave their post later because they realize they can get to their final destination in a shorter amount of time...which delays everyone in the middle. I guess it doesn't matter that much as people aren't rushing to school/work in the evening...and if you are, you probably realize transit is too unreliable during non-rush hour.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
In Waterloo and Toronto I'm used to buses regularly blocking both lanes through uptown/tight areas as the lanes are quite narrow and if they had to swerve around a vehicle pulling out from the side, or for any other reason they'd push several vehicles into oncoming traffic. Annoying as it may be, it's probably for the best.
You see there are a few buses at the same size traveling too, and only 1 or 2 guys driving in the middle of the road. The other guys must be like wtf.

And these are not double buses and I have seen double buses traveling in their own lane before.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
You see there are a few buses at the same size traveling too, and only 1 or 2 guys driving in the middle of the road. The other guys must be like wtf.

And these are not double buses and I have seen double buses traveling in their own lane before.
ever drive over the portmann bridge beside a semi truck? or do you wait until theres a safe gap and try to get around him? the lanes are narrow...and the vehicle is wide...sometimes its a bit safer to just move over a bit and take up the other lane...after all...busses are driving people around and the drivers are responsible for the passengers safety. If I was a passenger I'd rather him take 2 lanes and be safe then risk it and side swipe a parked car along the side of the road.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
ever drive over the portmann bridge beside a semi truck? or do you wait until theres a safe gap and try to get around him? the lanes are narrow...and the vehicle is wide...sometimes its a bit safer to just move over a bit and take up the other lane...after all...busses are driving people around and the drivers are responsible for the passengers safety. If I was a passenger I'd rather him take 2 lanes and be safe then risk it and side swipe a parked car along the side of the road.
You probably should stop talking about your "safety" I would fail you if I could.

According to your logic, the bus drivers who are traveling in their own lane and not taking up the whole road have zero regards about their passengers safety? There are wide vehicles traveling on the same road and you don't see them go in the middle of two lanes just to more safe. Weak argument, you can kindly stop talking now, thank you.

If the bus drivers aren't competent enough to safely travel in their own lane on a busy public road then perhaps Translink should double check their training program.

Ever traveling on W 4th? There are bus drivers who drive in their own lane, including double buses and there are one retard taking all 2 lanes. If I was that retard, wouldn't I feel stupid seeing the guy in front? And no they don't move over when there are people waiting to turn left in front. They just sit there waiting behind and now you have a nice traffic jam. Safe drivers? Please. More like dick drivers.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:55 PM   #14
...on a mission....

Quote:
You probably should stop talking about your "safety" I would fail you if I could.

According to your logic, the bus drivers who are traveling in their own lane and not taking up the whole road have zero regards about their passengers safety? There are wide vehicles traveling on the same road and you don't see them go in the middle of two lanes just to more safe. Weak argument, you can kindly stop talking now, thank you.

If the bus drivers aren't competent enough to safely travel in their own lane on a busy public road then perhaps Translink should double check their training program.

Ever traveling on W 4th? There are bus drivers who drive in their own lane, including double buses and there are one retard taking all 2 lanes. If I was that retard, wouldn't I feel stupid seeing the guy in front? And no they don't move over when there are people waiting to turn left in front. They just sit there waiting behind and now you have a nice traffic jam. Safe drivers? Please. More like dick drivers.
Some buses may require the driver to "give space" on the right while traveling on some roads. Take a double decker for instance. With their lean, you MUST be careful of trees,poles,signs etc that are too close to the road on the right hand side. Some older buses may have softer suspensions and have a lean that the driver has to be wary of. It may not be a case of a poor driver, but equipment being driven and it's surroundings.
Simnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #15
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,100 Times in 259 Posts
Yea ive noticed that on 16th ave too between Granville and Arbutus. Huge pain considering ive seen them do it on 16th, just the fact they cant be bothered too.
Previous
1977 Firebird 5.7
1987 Iroc-Z 2.5
1998 Firebird 3.8
1992 BMW 325i 2.5
1994 Dodge Ram 5.2
1996 Dodge Ram 5.9
1996 Cavalier Z22 2.2
1997 Mustang Cobra 4.6
firebird79_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:15 PM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
I've seen some bus drivers driving in the middle of 2 lanes, effectively blocking the whole road (on W 4th specifically). And they don't even make an effort to get close to the curb when they pull over at stops. Are they even allowed to do that? First time I've ever seen such thing in North America...

So much road rage
I live on W 4th and deal with this all the time. The curb side lane is too small, the yuppies park too far from the curb, and not all bus drivers are confident enough to rive that close to parked cars it seems. I've learned to live with it, its usually not all of 4th, just a few blocks until they hit a wider stretch then you can get by.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:21 PM   #17
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:

I would fail you if I could.

I travel W 4th all the time, and while many bus drivers do stay in their lane, they do so just barely and I often worry that traveling beside them I'll get squeezed into oncoming traffic.

Its a huge vehicle and a small lane, and parts of W 4th are awful, cracks, potholes, dips, bumps, ruts, ... it can be hard to keep your own vehicle perfectly straight, nevermind a bus that takes up the entire lane.

I bet you're one of those asshats that rips up W 4th.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
I would fail you if I could.

I travel W 4th all the time, and while many bus drivers do stay in their lane, they do so just barely and I often worry that traveling beside them I'll get squeezed into oncoming traffic.

Its a huge vehicle and a small lane, and parts of W 4th are awful, cracks, potholes, dips, bumps, ruts, ... it can be hard to keep your own vehicle perfectly straight, nevermind a bus that takes up the entire lane.

I bet you're one of those asshats that rips up W 4th.
This tough guy again? First of all, stop pulling whatever outta your bottom, you don't know me.

Second of all, are you dense? Did you not read all the posts in front. I think I did somehow agree with Simnut about old equipments so I didn't reply furthermore. Your comprehensive level must be less than average.

Also, I'm gonna put on your BS assumption hat and assume that you must be a terrible driver that you cannot safely pass a large vehicle. In that case, do us all a favor don't pass. Stick to the right lane and let the the people who are more capable do it
Old 08-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #19

Quote:
This tough guy again? First of all, stop pulling whatever outta your bottom, you don't know me.

Second of all, are you dense? Did you not read all the posts in front. I think I did somehow agree with Simnut about old equipments so I didn't reply furthermore. Your comprehensive level must be less than average.

Also, I'm gonna put on your BS assumption hat and assume that you must be a terrible driver that you cannot safely pass a large vehicle. In that case, do us all a favor don't pass. Stick to the right lane and let the the people who are more capable do it
I'm going to assume that you yourself have never driven anything larger than a Uhaul truck...if that...and in that case, until you know just how tight a lane can be...you shouldnt be whinning...lets see you try to drive a bus or a semi or a dump truck on W4th.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2011, 10:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
I'm going to assume that you yourself have never driven anything larger than a Uhaul truck...if that...and in that case, until you know just how tight a lane can be...you shouldnt be whinning...lets see you try to drive a bus or a semi or a dump truck on W4th.
Weak argument again. Why should I? Obviously I would do badly because I'm not trained or paid to drive such vehicles. In case you haven't notice, they have different license types. I would expect the drivers, buses, big trucks or semis alike, who are properly trained and paid, knows how to share the road properly.

I hate to repeat this so please read. There are other wide vehicles traveling on the same road and they don't do what a few bus drivers do. Perhaps they are not aware of the "wide vehicles, feel free to take up both lanes" privilege? Should the city put up a sign and remind them?
Old 08-22-2011, 10:47 PM   #21

Quote:
Weak argument again. Why should I? Obviously I would do badly because I'm not trained or paid to drive such vehicles. In case you haven't notice, they have different license types. I would expect the drivers, buses, big trucks or semis alike, who are properly trained and paid, knows how to share the road properly.

I hate to repeat this so please read. There are other wide vehicles traveling on the same road and they don't do what a few bus drivers do. Perhaps they are not aware of the "wide vehicles, feel free to take up both lanes" privilege? Should the city put up a sign and remind them?
yes, im well aware of them having different license types, I myself hold 3 of them....3 5 and 6, and believe me, i know how to share a road...but if i dont feel safe in that one lane, you bet your damn ass im squeezing over until i feel safe wether you like it or not...honk at me for all i care..ill just slow down even more just to spite you! a bus squeezing over the 2nd lane may be him doing the proper thing and keeping his passengers safe.

as for others on the road in equal or bigger sized vehicles who are staying in there lane...whats riding on their load? 1 driver....maybe a load of gravel in a dump truck...a semi truck with 1 driver and a container on the back? whos going to do more damage to more people in the event of a side swipe? a fully loaded bus with no seatbelts or a equal sized vehicle with 1 person on board?

until you've driven a large sized vehicle, i really dont think you should be complaining. you only see 1 side of it right now.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:17 PM   #22
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:

Commercial trucks travel on designated routes, the only time they can legally stray from those routes is when their destination requires they do and they must use the shortest distance possible to reach it. A bus is different however, they drive everywhere. So why does that matter?

Roads are designed for the type of vehicles that will be using them and that includes the width of lanes, at best a driver of a large truck or bus needs to use every bit of their concentration just to keep the vehicle in the lane on Vancouver roads designed for trucks; on roads not designated for trucks it's near impossible and you might have a couple inches of room in the lane to play with. Now, put a bus driver on roads that aren't designated for trucks, include the focus that needs to be put on passengers and maybe you'll understand why they take a lane. If the experienced, licensed and skilled commercial drivers here aren't enough to convince you that what they do is totally legitimate, I challenge you to rent a 5 ton and drive over the pattullo bridge or around Vancouver roads without crashing or having a nervous break down. It's not as easy as it looks.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:56 PM   #23
I am grateful grapefruit

Personally, I would say training and experience taught those bus drivers to occupy two lanes as opposed to stay in the narrow right lane on 4th ave. There have been times where people open up doors or walk out onto the street from between cars, and I had to swerve or brake heavily to avoid hitting them. A bus doesn't have that sort of luxury to be able to avoid idiots like those. Even sometimes I get claustrophobic sometimes driving in the right lane, and I have a pretty small car. Some of the guys park pretty far out, and I might only have a foot or clearance between my mirrors and their mirrors.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:22 AM   #24
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Thanks for proving me right, you are one of those asshats that rip up W 4th. Please stop.

Quote:
I can safely pass the buses, I just wait till there is an opening in traffic or the bus pulls back into one lane. I'm not the asshat that went online to rant and rave about it.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:51 AM   #25
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Honestly, if it's a really tight lane, I expect the bus driver to veer out any minute to take up two lanes. Even if he was using one lane, usually he's just barely in there and the mirrors might stick out. Knowing I have that little clearance, I would personally just play it safe until I was sure I can get past the bus without worrying about him coming over the lane a bit while I'm passing.

I know a friend who drives a tour bus and I don't remember the numbers, but the standard Vancouver lane width is almost exactly the width of his tour bus. Knowing this, when I'm on 4th, I'd rather wait for the bus to stop before passing it cause there are so many things that can happen during the time you're overtaking the bus on a narrow road.

However, I do have an issue if the bus driver takes up two lanes while he's stopped at a bus stop though.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote