REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Hypertension (https://www.revscene.net/forums/652065-hypertension.html)

quasi 08-20-2011 05:25 PM

Hypertension

I'm guessing most people here are so young this probably hasn't been an issue but I'll ask anyway. I've been having terrible headaches for about 10 days. Headaches are not abnormal for me I've had them regularly since I was 8 but these ones have been off the charts.

I borrowed a blood pressure machine from my parents and I've been checking it the last few days and noticed a correlation between higher blood pressure and severity of the headaches. It's been high since I started checking it 140-150ish over 70-90 which is on the high side for sure. Last night I was hitting 189/109 for most the night and was going to go to the hospital but it was 4am and I figured I could stay home and see Doctor this morning with probably a shorter wait. The intensity of the headache last night was off the charts, could not sleep was like a vice was squeezing my melon.

This has all come so sudden for me I was just wondering if anyone else has had something similiar and if reducing their BP level has helped? I got some BP meds and sent for some bloodwork but I'll have to wait for that and the BP doesn't lower instantly. Any solutions to help with the headaches or any type of relaxation methods or something that can help with one of these severe episodes happen?

TheNewGirl 08-20-2011 06:25 PM

I had the same thing happen when my thyriod went hyperactive. I had to go on medication to deal with that, take beta blockers (which sucked) as well as learning some serious relaxation techniques (it caused serious insomnia for me as well which didn't help). When your BP gets that high you can have SERIOUS issues (I would have what felt like panic attacks, my whole body going into fight or flight mode, where I would sweat so much I looked like I'd been in a shower then faint).

If your BP goes that high again you SHOULD got to the hospital, regardless of the time. It can cause a stroke or heart attack on the off chance you have a weak vessel.

For me, when my thyroid stabilized, and I learned some relaxation, my BP lowered dramatically. I still have an above average heart rate but it's not in the danger zone.

twitchyzero 08-20-2011 09:09 PM

assuming you used the machine correctly, 190/110 is very serious...that's stage III hypertension and pretty much grounds to seek medical attention ASAP

Why didn't you just ask your doc these questions? Probably not a bad idea to ask him/her to prescribe you some nitroglycerin spray.

quasi 08-20-2011 09:34 PM

I used the machine correctly and did multiple readings throughout the night. I know it's serious, I talked to a nurse on the nurses hotline and she had said because the Doctor was open at 7 it might be quicker to go that route but she suggested the hospital. Last time I went to emergency for my son it took 9 hours to see a Doctor so I thought I'd just wait. I couldn't get in to see my Doctor because he's off till Tuesday so I was only able to go to a clinic. I didn't really get a chance to ask much because at the time I was in so much pain I couldn't think clearly.

I'm going to go see my regular Doctor on Tuesday but I posted because I thought maybe someone else has went through the same and might know some good techniques or remedies to help in the meantime.

SiRV 08-21-2011 07:55 AM

Go to the ER ASAP man, it could be some serious underlying pathology.. Could be thyroid, could be cancer (ex. Pheochromocytoma - PubMed Health) but won't know without the fully array of testing. Go NOW

quasi 08-21-2011 04:15 PM

BP is down in the 145-150 now. I'm having tests done, nothing the ER can do for me now. You guys are right though I should have probably went to hospital Saturday morning and if it shoots up like that again I will. Checking it 3 times a day now so I'll know if its rising.

yameen 08-21-2011 11:22 PM

There are so many causes of hypertension and it's impossible to diagnose you without proper screening. They will for sure perform blood tests and specific tests such as TSH levels (thyroid associated) along with other tests that the doctor will recommend. 190/110 is quite serious and it's almost 100% the cause of your headaches atm. I would never mention the word cancer to patients or to people that I see without being 90% certain or unless there is a high probability because this just adds to stress and anxiety which may shoot up your BP even more. Don't worry about any diagnosis for now and just see a doctor asap. Hopefully there's no major underlying cause. If you've been prescribed BP meds, continue to take them until your blood tests come back and monitor your BP 2-3 times a day if possible (morning, afternoon, sleep).

achiam 10-02-2011 02:06 AM

Did you get it checked out? Just curious as to the cause...

geasult 10-04-2011 01:04 PM

Nurse here. You should def have it checked out. There are many reasons for the headache. But at the hospital we that headaches with sudden onset of high BP very seriously. You should consider going to the doctors.

Excelsis 10-05-2011 07:04 PM

Posted via RS Mobile

quasi 10-05-2011 07:42 PM

I went to the Doctor and have had a follow up since. The Doctor believed my BP spikes were a combination of stress and bad cholesterol. The high BP is what was causing the terrible headaches. I'm on BP medication daily now and it's been better. It's still high but not like it was for that two weeks of non stop headaches.

SiRV 10-06-2011 09:04 PM

Good to hear you're better!

yameen 10-06-2011 11:16 PM

Also glad that you're safe. You're probably on lipid lowering drugs as well I assume? If not, you could consider talking to your doctor about it unless you're a fairly active young individual that can change his diet easily =).

TSX604 11-24-2011 02:02 PM

Which is more accurate to check blood pressure? Omron wrist monitor or the upper arm?

GLOW 11-24-2011 02:54 PM

man i totally misread your thread and was going to talk to you about a hyperextension lol

glad to hear you're ok though