REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   UBC vs SFU gym? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/652094-ubc-vs-sfu-gym.html)

AK123 08-21-2011 01:57 PM

UBC vs SFU gym?

For those who have been to both, which one is better in terms of free weights.

Jer3 08-21-2011 02:05 PM

never been to ubc gym but sfu gym is one of the nicer gyms i've been to overall and has a nice setup. 2 squat racks, quite a few flat benches, big stretch area, lot of machines, pretty decent sized free weight area. only problem is it gets hella busy anytime after 11am.

free weights wise, they use iron db's, iron bumper plates. i believe free weights go up to 120 if i remember correctly.

elcurto99 08-21-2011 02:19 PM

^^ what he said.
Only downside to the SFU gym is it gets fairly busy. Also they only have one set of the 55/60/65/70 lb dbls.

kluk 08-21-2011 05:25 PM

I've had a few UBC friends that came to SFU for the gym and they all agreed that the SFU gym is better.

bcedhk 08-21-2011 07:11 PM

SFU gym has good equipment, but like others said, when semesters starts it gets really packed in the free weights/bench/squat racks.

+ there are lots of jackasses who use the freeweights, leave it on the ground and leave. So you donno whether or not they are still using it or not.

AK123 08-22-2011 05:58 PM

Thanks for all the replies, guys.
Can anyone comment on UBC gym? Like how many squat racks and benches available, how busy it is, and max dumbell weight?

Splmash 08-22-2011 08:57 PM

Dumbbells goes up to 110lb at SFU gym.

Gym gets really packed, I usually go in the morning. 8-9ish when it's really quiet

4znDr4g0nB01 08-23-2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK123 (Post 7554164)
Thanks for all the replies, guys.
Can anyone comment on UBC gym? Like how many squat racks and benches available, how busy it is, and max dumbell weight?

As I remember, 2 cages for squats, 1 squat rack, 4 flat benches, 1 decline and 1 incline. Usually busy at around lunch time. I think dumbbells goes up to 120lb, don't quote me on this.

sas 08-28-2011 11:23 PM

I prefer ubc, they have platforms. The bog also has 2 platforms and Eleiko barbells. And a reverse hyper

Meowjin 08-30-2011 12:12 AM

serious question are you choosing a university based on gym?

AK123 08-31-2011 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajinHurricane (Post 7561999)
serious question are you choosing a university based on gym?

No lol. I actually just finished school. I was planning to move to Vancouver and working out at a university gym to meet people my age.

tegz 08-31-2011 09:56 PM

I'd give the edge to the UBC gym only cause they have padded lifting stations for more convinient deadlifts and cleans/sweeps.

That being said, SFU definitely has a nicer looking facility, and it's free to students, or people who pretend to be students...hahaha

pk_volt 09-08-2011 10:35 PM

Never been to the UBC gym, but I heard it's small and have very few squat racks.

SFU gym is pretty nice and the equipment/building is pretty new witha pretty nice view, and well ventillated air conditioning.

A little off topic, but Uvic's gym (Ian Stewart) is one of the best there is in BC I think.

Splmash 09-08-2011 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pk_volt (Post 7572292)
Never been to the UBC gym, but I heard it's small and have very few squat racks.

SFU gym is pretty nice and the equipment/building is pretty new witha pretty nice view, and well ventillated air conditioning.

A little off topic, but Uvic's gym (Ian Stewart) is one of the best there is in BC I think.

View is nice, the equipment is new but the gym is by no means well ventilated. If you're not breathing hard or sweating, you're probably just not working out hard enough.

Here's my little SFU gym rant (nothing to do with anything):

At the start of every September and January, all the newbies come in and take over. These "kids", (I use this term very casually) take over all the racks, benches, and bars for their little (weight wise) work outs. The workouts inevitably involves bench press, standing bicep curls, and a couple swinging pull ups. Don't get me wrong, I applaud people working out and bettering themselves physically and mentally. BUT a holy fuck, either commit to working out in the long run or don't crowd the gym so people who actually care can't work out. Everyone just chills in groups of 3 or 4 around an equipment. They chat 80% of the time, lift weight 10% and be 'mirin other people for the last 10%. It's irritating since it ruins the routine and mental process for the dedicated bunch. I'm thankful that I use the heavier dumbbells and they're rarely touched.

strykn 09-08-2011 10:58 PM

Might be coming to the sfu gym so the 99% can be mirin my lifts :troll:

Splmash 09-08-2011 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strykn (Post 7572322)

I suggest you wait till a couple weeks later. It always dies down after people stop giving a shit.

tegz 09-08-2011 11:39 PM

Lol, just got my UBC gym term pass today... Won't be going back for at least a month because it's too crowded

bulkerer 10-20-2011 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strykn (Post 7572322)

im aware