REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Campus Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/campus-forum_20/)
-   -   hey RS students, what do you think of my app? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/652297-hey-rs-students-what-do-you-think-my-app.html)

Boostaholic 08-24-2011 07:23 PM

hey RS students, what do you think of my app?

Hey guys,

I graduated from UBC in May from engineering. One day I was reminiscing about the good old school days, and I remembered all those walking around campus on a friday night with some friends trying to find a party. Then this idea came to me. What if there is an iPhone app that would tell me exactly where these parties are? There weren't any, so as a nerdy engineer, I called up a couple friends a built one. Here is the iTunes link.
Social151 for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

This is the first version, it's far from complete and I'd be appreciated if I can get some feedback from my fellow RSer.

Cheers!

gearshifter 08-25-2011 08:59 AM

assuming that the locations must be inputted via peer support, then the app needs to be free for people to even consider.

CRS 08-25-2011 08:59 AM

Since when did engineering students have time to party?

OTG-ZR2 08-25-2011 09:17 AM

iphone :fuckthatshit:

aikenluu918 08-25-2011 10:04 AM

i like the idea. but i can see clubs starting to promote on here every weekend if this picks up speed.

Boostaholic 08-25-2011 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearshifter (Post 7557265)
assuming that the locations must be inputted via peer support, then the app needs to be free for people to even consider.

The app is a free one. and currently events are not imported by peers, but computer generated based on the description of the events. So some are hit or miss. We are trying to improve on how we can accurately pin point more.

Boostaholic 08-25-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 7557267)
Since when did engineering students have time to party?

Engineers are full of party animals. There are parties almost every weekend. The downside is they are sausage fest and if I had this app during my college years, I wouldn't been drinking with HKin girls instead.

Boostaholic 08-25-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aikenluu918 (Post 7557328)
i like the idea. but i can see clubs starting to promote on here every weekend if this picks up speed.

Yeah they probably will if it does take off, but thats fine. Occasionally those clubbing events are actually worth while to know about. In fact, our Facebook script already imports a lot of those clubbing events.

Boostaholic 08-25-2011 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTG-ZR2 (Post 7557279)
iphone :fuckthatshit:

Don't worry, we have an Android version in development. :)

tiger_handheld 08-25-2011 12:59 PM

does this app show where your friends are partying?

G 08-25-2011 04:24 PM

Wouldn't cops/unwanted party-ers just raid these using this app. :fuckthatshit:

Boostaholic 08-25-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 7557578)
does this app show where your friends are partying?

not yet but we are working on that feature.

Boostaholic 08-25-2011 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G (Post 7557797)
Wouldn't cops/unwanted party-ers just raid these using this app. :fuckthatshit:

they could do so by searching Facebook events as well, but generally cops don't raid parties until someone complains about noise or stuff like that.

Zyzz 08-25-2011 07:45 PM

im not too sure

back in my undergrad engineering years, most of my partying came from invitations for house parties or clubs. Without anyone introducing, party crashers don't seem that inviting, unless you are really handsome or funny or bring 2+ girls with you(if you do then u will have lots of invitations already).

My point is that, if someone needs an app to find parties, then he/she probably isn't that interesting anyways, and probably isn't too welcomed.