REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Best Martial Art? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/652475-best-martial-art.html)

mkings 08-27-2011 08:27 PM

Best Martial Art?

Hey RS,

So I'm thinking of getting into martial arts, to accompany weight training and for self-defense as well. Is there such thing as the "best martial art" to practise? Which kind of martial art should i get into, and why?

ScizzMoney 08-27-2011 10:25 PM

A buddy of mine swears by boxing, for cardio, upper body, wrist and forearm strength. Plus, you can do it anywhere.

jeedee 08-27-2011 10:27 PM

There is no "best" martial art. It's better to be well rounded in all areas of martial arts [kickboxing, judo, muay thai, wrestling etc] rather then being dominant in one area.

If you're mainly looking to train martial arts for weight training and for self-defense, I'd say kickboxing.

vafanculo 08-27-2011 11:42 PM

Yea, like others have said, there is no best martial arts..just depends which one is for you, or like doing better. For what you described, try muay thai, or boxing. You will get good cardio to supplement your weight training.

Also depends on your size too. If you are a bit stockier, try boxing. If you are a bit leaner or taller, try muay thai.

freakshow 08-28-2011 12:28 AM

if you care less about self defense, i would go with Capoeira.. nothing like learning backflips as part of your martial arts :)

NSX 08-28-2011 12:31 AM

Do MMA.
Get well rounded in the whole fighting spectrum (ie standup, takedowns, wrestling, grappling and on the ground). Best self defense is learning how to fight wherever the fight takes place. More than anything, nothing will save you if you dont have good Cardio, and Run away fast. Best thing about MMA is that every session is a GREAT workout. Stay in shape.

DiuLol 08-28-2011 03:45 PM

Wing Chun, cuz of Yip Man :D

mkings 08-28-2011 11:04 PM

How's Krav Maga?

JDął 08-29-2011 10:19 AM

It depends if you want to learn a tournament discipline or real self-defense. If you want something effective that you could actually use in real life do Krav Maga or Judo.

Riddle 08-29-2011 10:34 AM

I went with Taekwondo when I was a kid; lots of kicking fun. Mix with boxing and you're good. XD

V4NC1TY 08-29-2011 12:45 PM

if your high school has a wrestling team, join it.

i agree with NSX. Learn different kinds of MMA and become well-rounded.

if you want self-defense, i'd say go with Kickboxing or Muay Thai.
more suited for street fights :lol

JSilver 08-29-2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NSX (Post 7560237)
Do MMA.
Get well rounded in the whole fighting spectrum (ie standup, takedowns, wrestling, grappling and on the ground). Best self defense is learning how to fight wherever the fight takes place. More than anything, nothing will save you if you dont have good Cardio, and Run away fast. Best thing about MMA is that every session is a GREAT workout. Stay in shape.

I spoke to one of the instructors at Dynamic MMA and was suggested to focus on an actual Martial Arts (Kickboxing, Muay Thai, etc.) first, then when you have that down to the key to move into MMA. This giving yourself a Martial Art platform to work and build up from.

Maybe he wanted me to spend more money, but he seemed quite knowledgeable about it.

Input.

Ch28 08-29-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSilver (Post 7561596)
I spoke to one of the instructors at Dynamic MMA and was suggested to focus on an actual Martial Arts (Kickboxing, Muay Thai, etc.) first, then when you have that down to the key to move into MMA. This giving yourself a Martial Art platform to work and build up from.

Maybe he wanted me to spend more money, but he seemed quite knowledgeable about it.

Input.

Did you speak with Joel or Adam?

What they said is correct. MMA class is pretty much advanced/mma fighters in our gym that do it. Doing muay thai or bjj is equally as good.

Muay thai = defending yourself if you get caught in a rough spot.
Bjj = being able to know wtf to do if you get tackled (which usually happens when a bar brawl goes down)

I'm not saying you should learn it to go around and start shit but I'm sure there's been instances where we were close to it because of drunken idiots.

Come to Dynamic! We're like a big family :fullofwin:

mkings 08-29-2011 08:46 PM

^What's the age majority that go there?

JSilver 08-29-2011 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch28 (Post 7561608)
Did you speak with Joel or Adam?

What they said is correct. MMA class is pretty much advanced/mma fighters in our gym that do it. Doing muay thai or bjj is equally as good.

Muay thai = defending yourself if you get caught in a rough spot.
Bjj = being able to know wtf to do if you get tackled (which usually happens when a bar brawl goes down)

I'm not saying you should learn it to go around and start shit but I'm sure there's been instances where we were close to it because of drunken idiots.

Come to Dynamic! We're like a big family :fullofwin:

I think I spoke to Adam; this was a long while ago when Dynamic was located by Cambie and 41st.

I have zero Martial Arts training and was always meaning to get into BJJ actually! Thought it would be something nice to have when in sticky situations like you say (Although I haven't been in many lol).

Are you paying for a full year there?

Ch28 08-31-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkings (Post 7561813)
^What's the age majority that go there?

I think our youngest member is like 14 and our oldest is in his 50's. The majority of us are in our 20's. Great atmosphere and everybody treats each other with respect regardless of age or skill level.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSilver (Post 7561827)
I think I spoke to Adam; this was a long while ago when Dynamic was located by Cambie and 41st.

I have zero Martial Arts training and was always meaning to get into BJJ actually! Thought it would be something nice to have when in sticky situations like you say (Although I haven't been in many lol).

Are you paying for a full year there?

Paid for a full year and my membership is up in a few weeks. Going to renew for another year :)

neggo 08-31-2011 03:45 PM

Listen to Ch28. Dynamic is a great place.

Come join and train with us :D

vafanculo 08-31-2011 04:28 PM

Il vouch for dynamics. Went there for 6 months and only reason I quit was because my work schedule interfered.

People are friendly, especially to noobs. My first day there, my class partner found out it was my first time and went out of his way to show me proper techniques. Also a plus that there are no douchebags at all.

Soon as I switch shifts il prob sign up for another term. Miss it.
Posted via RS Mobile

nguyen604 10-19-2011 04:12 PM

you could try wu shu, its pretty intense and when your done you'll be able to do all sorts of flips e.g wall flip, front and back flip

Powerslide 10-21-2011 04:24 PM

if you are looking for a self-defense martial art, MMA will offer you a great toolkit and get you in fantastic shape. However, you want to avoid grappling and/or going to ground at all costs in a self-defense situation on the street- especially true with multiple opponents.

Krav Maga is an excellent system for self defense, I trained with it for a while and would recommend it. Do your homework before finding a place to train though.

The psychology of a self-defense situation is not highlighted enough in many systems, even though it is probably the most important point by far. MMA, Kickboxing/Muai Thai, etc do not train this.

Lude2000 11-06-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neggo (Post 7563669)
Listen to Ch28. Dynamic is a great place.

Come join and train with us :D

How much is it cost per month? Also, can you pay month to month or you have to commit to at least 6 months?

nguyen604 11-08-2011 09:52 PM

you should try out wrestling, it works on your core muscles and helps you with your cardio but if not then try out mma for a while and see which technique you like the most