REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/autobody-lighting-structural-tech_192/)
-   -   Wiring switch to LED strip??? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/652728-wiring-switch-led-strip.html)

RedTeg1412 08-31-2011 09:08 PM

Wiring switch to LED strip???

Hey, i cant figure out how to wire a switch to a led strip...

the led strip has a positive and negative wire attached to it, their very thin.. also there are two thicker wires used for positive and negative that are connected to the battery, and that the two wires from the led strip tap into..

now i cant figure how how to connect a switch so that i can turn the stupid thing on and off....

any help will be much appreciated, thanks

!Aznboi128 08-31-2011 09:32 PM

put the switch in between one side

basically cut the positive wire put the switch in between. Done

RedTeg1412 08-31-2011 09:43 PM

the positive thats coming from the batery?? this is the switch i have... i know there is supposed to be a (+) a (-) and a (load)ao what would go where... ?

http://www.newmodellersshop.co.uk/im...e%20switch.jpg

godwin 09-02-2011 09:18 PM

+ve <----> Switch <---> LED driver / resistor <---> LED strip <--> -ve

To be doubly sure, you should test the leads of the switch with the continuity setting of a multimeter, just to make sure you are soldering to the right foot.

hondak20 09-27-2011 06:29 PM

anyone know how to wire the leds to the door switch?

silva95teg 09-27-2011 06:37 PM

Most cars have a negative door switch, so to wire the leds to come on when the door is opened they need to be connected to constant power. You can run a fused lead off the battery or use an add a fuse out of your fuse panel. Then tie the positive of the led strip to the constant power and use a tap to connect the negative to the wire coming off the door switch, then your lights will only turn on when the door is opened.

hondak20 09-27-2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silva95teg (Post 7593161)
Most cars have a negative door switch, so to wire the leds to come on when the door is opened they need to be connected to constant power. You can run a fused lead off the battery or use an add a fuse out of your fuse panel. Then tie the positive of the led strip to the constant power and use a tap to connect the negative to the wire coming off the door switch, then your lights will only turn on when the door is opened.

Thanks

hondak20 09-27-2011 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silva95teg (Post 7593161)

but say i want to do this:
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._8014938_n.jpg

would it be possible to wire up something like this with addition to door lights? another question is, u said to use a "tap" to connect negative. what is the "tap"? sorry, im new at this

hondak20 09-27-2011 07:10 PM

im trying to aim for this set up

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._8311049_n.jpg

silva95teg 09-27-2011 08:25 PM

Are the lights on the door itself stock in the above photo? Are you just wanting to do the underdash/footwell lighting?

This is an example of a tap: T-Tap Connectors

They can be found at lordco/cantire/princess auto etc

I did some under dash lighting for the front of my car and only tapped the drivers door switch. Mine only turn on when the drivers door is open and it triggers both sides. If you wanted you could wire each strip to the negative of each door switch and have them all independent, or a more complicated setup that I think may work would be to use diodes on each run and hook up to all door switches. That way any door would cause all the lights to come on. You can't just common all the door switches together or your car would think all the doors were open each time you opened any. The diodes I believe would stop that from happening. No garantee though as I have not tried it.
Posted via RS Mobile

silva95teg 09-27-2011 08:32 PM

One more thing, some cars have a positive door switch so you would need to check that. Also if your dome light wiring is accessible it is easier to tap into that.
Posted via RS Mobile

hondak20 09-27-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silva95teg (Post 7593309)
Are the lights on the door itself stock in the above photo? Are you just wanting to do the underdash/footwell lighting?

This is an example of a tap: T-Tap Connectors

They can be found at lordco/cantire/princess auto etc

I did some under dash lighting for the front of my car and only tapped the drivers door switch. Mine only turn on when the drivers door is open and it triggers both sides. If you wanted you could wire each strip to the negative of each door switch and have them all independent, or a more complicated setup that I think may work would be to use diodes on each run and hook up to all door switches. That way any door would cause all the lights to come on. You can't just common all the door switches together or your car would think all the doors were open each time you opened any. The diodes I believe would stop that from happening. No garantee though as I have not tried it.
Posted via RS Mobile

the leds on the door are aftermarket i believe. not original. ill give it a try. thank u so much !!

hondak20 09-27-2011 10:24 PM

i want to do a footwell and under door lighting. and i just found out that my rear door switches are positive door switches. i only have 1 dome light and its in the centre of the ceiling. two red wires running the dome light though

silva95teg 09-28-2011 04:39 AM

The under door is easy, you can just take power from the lights already in the door. It you can access those red wires going to the dome light you could possibly wire the footwell lights to those.
Posted via RS Mobile

hondak20 09-28-2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silva95teg (Post 7593715)
The under door is easy, you can just take power from the lights already in the door. It you can access those red wires going to the dome light you could possibly wire the footwell lights to those.
Posted via RS Mobile

what if i dunt have any light sockets on the door?

silva95teg 09-28-2011 05:11 PM

sorry, from what you said i thought you did.