REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The Official No Need To Start a New Thread, Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/653341-official-no-need-start-new-thread-thread.html)

GS8 05-01-2024 12:10 AM

Diamond rings? Gold bars?

Fuckin ell, I just gave my girlfriend this ring and it made her lifetime:

Spoiler!

Hehe 05-01-2024 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68style (Post 9133956)
That makes no sense.

He could have just invested the $35k over 20 years had the same result if not better.

And what's anyone supposed to do with a gold bar? Take it out and rub it / polish it? Does she pull it out to show her friends when they come over? Did they take engagement pictures with the gold bar in both their hands?

Also no humble brag there at all that people were casually blowing $30k on engagement rings 20 years ago lol

It's more of a symbol than anything else. The very same reason why Asian (Chinese and Indian) tend to get gold chains, rings and jewelry made out of gold for wedding, newborn and whatever. IYKYK.

I wish I could afford something like that when I got married. My proposal ring was a plastic ring from Superstore (I shit you not). The only real splurge we had at our wedding was that we did host the wedding at a 5-star resort in a small town that was paid between our parents. But other than that, it was trying to put all the money into investment properties and my wife's study for a better future.

Wife kept the plastic ring all this time in the safe. When we thought we kinda made it, when she got a very decent position and my investment properties were working better than I could ever hoped, I threw in the idea to take that plastic ring and have one custom-made with the real thing... pink diamond and all. But wife just said why bother, she already got the ring.

6793026 05-01-2024 03:00 AM

^ every gf goes thru that stage of wanting a bigger ring.

then once wedding is settled and done; 3 years later, work, life, bills later.... you got it... -meh.. why get a bigger ring...

While this is 'the norm' we are talking about, those are who still chasing unicorns won't understand this level exists.

MG1 05-01-2024 07:28 AM

As early as June, BC Hydro is changing the way they charge for electricity usage.

https://www.bchydro.com/about/strate...nt=time_of_day

This is so cool. I’ll have to find the remote charging remote that came with my EV. Dishes and laundry will be done off peak hours. I already use my PVR to record shit. I’ll watch them at off peak hours. Televisions, at least they used to be, one of the highest electricity hogs. Then again, probably not Jbol.

Discount vs surcharge……… -5% or +5%. If I read it correctly

Still two tier system in place. If EV charging can be taken out of the equation, I’d be all over that.

Badhobz 05-01-2024 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 9134117)
My proposal ring was a plastic ring from Superstore (I shit you not).

SEE! i TOLD YOU HE...HE...is destitute!!!!

what kind a plastic ring does stupidstore even sell!?

spoon.ek9 05-01-2024 07:53 AM

the kind of shit you get for free at the dentist's office when you're a kid?

Hehe 05-01-2024 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badhobz (Post 9134135)
SEE! i TOLD YOU HE...HE...is destitute!!!!

what kind a plastic ring does stupidstore even sell!?

It’s like those you can get at Claires for young girls.

Metrotown superstore. I still remember that we were discussing how to make our budget work between her master degree tuition and my investment property that we wanted to buy, and I was like, there’s a way to make it work…

And we picked the ring right there. $19.99. When I told my friend about it, they were all like, I can’t believe you pulled that off. :fuckthatshit:

Razor Ramon HG 05-01-2024 09:06 AM

https://thejoyofcookingmilhousehome....-ring-sg-2.jpg

Great68 05-01-2024 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 9134133)
Discount vs surcharge……… -5% or +5%. If I read it correctly

Electricity used between 11pm to 7am is charged at 5cents per kWh less than standard rate

Electricity used between 7am to 4pm and 9pm to 11pm is charged at standard rate

Electricity used between 4pm to 9pm is charged at 5cents per kWh more than standard rate

The two tier rates still apply.

IMO this is really only useful for people with EV's that can schedule charging for overnight.

For the rest of us, the savings of doing laundry overnight is barely worth mentioning, especially if you're primary cooking means is an electric oven where you'll be paying more to cook your food from 4-9.

And for those of us with electric heating sources, it makes even less sense. Can't turn heat off.

I know you have an EV, but those who don't this makes absolutely no sense.

Badhobz 05-01-2024 09:17 AM

For hEHa's dad!
https://www.mint.ca/globalassets/pro...0_rev-1200.png
https://www.mint.ca/en/shop/coins/20...ushion-diamond
Limited to 150, ~5 ounces of gold + you get a diamond!

would be baller if you can get a chain around it, or somehow make into a ring.

Badhobz 05-01-2024 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 9134144)
It’s like those you can get at Claires for young girls.

Metrotown superstore. I still remember that we were discussing how to make our budget work between her master degree tuition and my investment property that we wanted to buy, and I was like, there’s a way to make it work…

And we picked the ring right there. $19.99. When I told my friend about it, they were all like, I can’t believe you pulled that off. :fuckthatshit:

you overpaid!!!! your ancestors would be ashamed.

Hehe 05-01-2024 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badhobz (Post 9134148)
For hEHa's dad!
https://www.mint.ca/en/shop/coins/20...ushion-diamond
Limited to 150, ~5 ounces of gold + you get a diamond!

would be baller if you can get a chain around it, or somehow make into a ring.

What kind of peasant do you think my dad is? :troll:

Badhobz 05-01-2024 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 9134154)
What kind of peasant do you think my dad is? :troll:

What ? He doesn’t hoard gold like every other China menz ? There’s a good chance this is a good investment since it’s limited to 150.

Plus isnt gold like 3300 bucks a ounce right now anyways? x5 ounces and youre doing pretty good.

Better if he adds a chain and wears it around his neck.

Hehe 05-01-2024 09:50 AM

He isn’t into gold or jewelry. The only thing I’m aware of are 4 one once gold plate for each of his grandkids and some bracelet and necklaces that he got for my mom. Used to have some gold coins, but I no longer see them in the bank safe at least last time I was there.

His wine and spirits collection is easily more valuable than all that combined since dad took an extra insurance policy on those.

Badhobz 05-01-2024 09:52 AM

go drink his pricy booze! then blame it on the maid

Gumby 05-01-2024 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumby (Post 9134110)
Thanks for the recommendation. Out of curiosity, I'll get a quote from BBQ B Clean (they steam clean) but my Weber only cost around $1000 new, so $400 does seem a bit high. The Vancouver BBQ Boys website says $175 which seems pretty reasonable given the work they do.

Just to follow up on this, BBQ B Clean got back to me with the following:

Quote:

We charge on time ....plus gst
4.5 hrs is $415, 4hrs is $380, 3.5 is $345, 3 hours is $310, 2.5 is $275, 2 hours is $240 - it all depends on how dirty the bbq is, when was the last professional clean, what is cooked upon them, how big they are, how often used etc etc - lots of variables.
A Weber 3 burner usually takes around 3.5-4.5 hours.
I might just splurge and get it deep cleaned now (after 9 years), then use BBQ Boys maybe on an annual basis after.

xxxrsxxx 05-01-2024 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumby (Post 9134162)
Just to follow up on this, BBQ B Clean got back to me with the following:

I might just splurge and get it deep cleaned now (after 9 years), then use BBQ Boys maybe on an annual basis after.

If you go ahead with it, please show before/after pics!

Great68 05-01-2024 10:09 AM

Paying $400 to clean a bbq just seems insane.

I do an annual maintenance on my Napoleon, all it takes is a shop vac to get the crusty bits out of the fire box, some compressed air to blow out the burners, and wipe the exterior down with some degreaser/bbq cleaner. Takes me all of like an hour.

unit 05-01-2024 10:26 AM

i mean how clean does a bbq have to be? those prices sound like they are trying to scrub it to look like it's brand new. cook a few times on it and it's going to look used again. it's not a classic car, it's a bbq.

Great68 05-01-2024 10:34 AM

Yeah I mean as long as the burners aren't clogged, it's not like some grease staining in the firebox is going to affect how the thing cooks.

mikemhg 05-01-2024 10:58 AM

Exactly, plus the bits that get carbonized (burner covers for example) are hella cheap to replace.

If you clean it out at the beginning of every season, and make sure you run your burners for a bit after cooking, you shouldn't need to hire cleaners for your BBQ.

Voila, good as new.

mikemhg 05-01-2024 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donk. (Post 9134010)
Throw the idea of spending 1k on a ring instead, and the other 5k on a vacation, and see how she responds. If your already doing a honeymoon or whatever, then tell her you will put 5k towards the next vacation

The above obviously depends on your net worth / income as well, hehe could throw 50k at a ring and not even blink

I personally think rings are a waste of money, at least the vacation is something both of you can enjoy together

I'm in the same boat, I'm a vacation guy. I'd rather spend the money towards a trip to Bora Bora or Maldives, something we'll ball out on.

I fundamentally hate the idea of spending thousands of dollars on an infinite resource such as a diamond, it's one of the stupidest things we've been gaslit into purchasing as a means to profess our love for someone.

Hondaracer 05-01-2024 11:27 AM

I hope your bbq is like $2500 if you’re spending $400 to have it cleaned lol

I just grab a drywall putty knife for $8 from HD, at the end of each year scrape everything out the bottom, wipe the inside and burners down, run the bbq for 10 minutes, good for another season

Gumby 05-01-2024 11:33 AM

Thanks for talking some sense into me, LOL.

I'll just clean the damn thing myself. :)

sonick 05-01-2024 11:41 AM

Using a shop vac to clean up the dried chunks from the bottom of the box is super handy.