REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-13-2021, 03:50 PM   #11676
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,574 Times in 1,718 Posts
Anyone have any good connects for a mobile or in-shop minor paint scratch waxing/repair for a good price?
Advertisement
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:39 PM   #11677
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
What's a good way to watch Chinese and HK dramas? A few years ago I set my parents' phones up with an app called vChannel that loaded shows via RSS feed. But over time there are more and more ads and some shows don't load or even cast to the Chromecast properly.

Can anyone recommend anything that would be easy to use? Some sort of an Android box?
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:49 AM   #11678
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
My phone is on it's last legs. I am looking to buy a new one in the $200-$350 range. The features I value the most are a good camera, good battery, and durability. Mobile gaming isn't my thing and I just browse or watch videos.

So far the top two choices are:
1. Motorola G8 Power $250 or so
2. Samsung A51 - $350 or so

Anyone have experience with them or other suggestions in that price range?

Should I stay away from open box phones from places like Best Buy? They don't seem to give a lot of information on them.

I would prefer to be able to see the phones in person before purchasing, so is there anywhere else in the FV to look?
Old 01-20-2021, 08:49 AM   #11679
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
Anyone have experience with them or other suggestions in that price range?
Since you're looking at Android. Try looking at Xiaomi phones. I got a pretty decent one. Redmi 9 for around $200.
keifun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:03 PM   #11680
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Damn. I used to buy nothing but medium and short grain rice produced/milled in California (Cal Rose). I started to like Jasmine rice, so when Superstore had the Golden Wheel brand on sale, I bought a few bags. Son told me about insect larvae in the rice about a month ago. I told him to be careful and wash the rice more often than usual. Today, he opened another bag and there was more than just a few here and there. I just called Superstore and reported it. I have two unopened bags left. I asked if I could return the bags. They told me no receipt, no luck. It's the last time I buy anything rice related outside of US. I've never come across any bugs or larvae in US milled rice.

I wanted rice, not lice, you plick.............. a la Lethal Weapon's Uncle Benny.

Spoiler!
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 06:43 AM   #11681
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Never had that problem with rice, been buying ox head brand for several years now, but then again I only buy 1-2bags max

You could go buy two new bags and return the old ones
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:24 AM   #11682
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,067 Times in 1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Damn. I used to buy nothing but medium and short grain rice produced/milled in California (Cal Rose). I started to like Jasmine rice, so when Superstore had the Golden Wheel brand on sale, I bought a few bags. Son told me about insect larvae in the rice about a month ago. I told him to be careful and wash the rice more often than usual. Today, he opened another bag and there was more than just a few here and there. I just called Superstore and reported it. I have two unopened bags left. I asked if I could return the bags. They told me no receipt, no luck. It's the last time I buy anything rice related outside of US. I've never come across any bugs or larvae in US milled rice.

I wanted rice, not lice, you plick.............. a la Lethal Weapon's Uncle Benny.

extra protein

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:17 AM   #11683
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
How do you guys transfer money between different banks with amounts online >$2,000?

My daily limit for online etransfer is $2,000 and I want to transfer say $12,000 to my other bank. I've never done transfers this large and mostly only done e-transfers up to my daily limit. I don't want to do be etransfering $2000 x 6 times, looks sketchy.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:27 AM   #11684
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
How do you guys transfer money between different banks with amounts online >$2,000?

My daily limit for online etransfer is $2,000 and I want to transfer say $12,000 to my other bank. I've never done transfers this large and mostly only done e-transfers up to my daily limit. I don't want to do be etransfering $2000 x 6 times, looks sketchy.
Just link up your bank accounts (will need to wait about 2 business days if they aren't already linked) and then just transfer it between institutions.

You may need to call in depending on which bank you use if you're pushing. But if you're pulling, there shouldn't be any issue.

When I say pushing I mean initiating the transfer from the bank with the money and pulling I mean by initiating the transfer from the bank the money will be going into.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:36 AM   #11685
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post

I get the T&T branded organic jasmine rice. Comes in vacuum sealed 2kg bag for about 10-11 bucks. Never had issue with the quality and tastes pretty good. I feel like for things that you put in your body frequently like rice, bread, oats, meat etc, its better to spend a few more bucks to eat organic.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2021, 10:03 AM   #11686
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Quote:

I have a ton of cheques from back in the day. I just write myself a cheque from one account and remote deposit it to the other. Boom. 10K limit.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:22 AM   #11687
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
I have a ton of cheques from back in the day. I just write myself a cheque from one account and remote deposit it to the other. Boom. 10K limit.
Yup, that's what I do.

Thank you, CDIC.

https://www.cdic.ca/your-coverage/li...IaAojpEALw_wcB

https://www.canada.ca/en/financial-c...th-mobile.html

Last edited by MG1; 01-22-2021 at 11:28 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2021, 11:36 AM   #11688
MG1

Too lazy to look it up, but when I open up a thread on RS and hit the back button, the thread I just visited gets marked as read. Purple, not red, lol. Anyway, that does not happen anymore (since the great migration?). It does mark it purple if I hit the link at the top of the page. In this example, "Vancouver Off Topic / Current Events." Not a big deal, but if someone posts a wall of text in a single post and someone replies with that wall of text and what you've read was at the bottom, it's a bit of a pain.

Old 01-23-2021, 09:49 AM   #11689
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,064 Times in 555 Posts
TLDR: Just some gebbrish about realizing adulting is hard hahaha

Sorry guys, honestly, just wanted somewhere that I can vent it out?

I woke up today almost depressed? I dont want to use the word depressed, as I dont want to take away from people actually suffering from depression. I know it is a serious mental issue. And personally I am no where near that, maybe just woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

I don't know whats going wrong but I think I am losing interest as an enthuasist, just the hobby is expensive, looked down upon by my peers and family (except my wife), and the whole VI thing not looking to end anytime soon.

In some cases, it seems like the car thing is holding me back from achieving "more meaningful" goals in my life if you catch my drift? Like... lets pluck down 80k on a M2... or 80k can get you ahead in alot of other things... maybe its the kids growing older and not sure where the extra income is going to come from to cover all the extra expenses, the mortgage is only 8 years out of the 35 year term...

Just seems that, even thought Im getting a raise every year, it feels like I am actually less wealthy every year. Keep pinching and saving where I could and money seems to go out faster than it is coming back in....

The problem is, I dont really even have any other hobbies if that....

Maybe a drive up to Squamish will clear my head...

and for people who read this long into this unorganized, no point rant, thank you.

Fudge....

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:13 PM   #11690
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,914 Times in 3,874 Posts
Quote:

Check your banking, RBC lets me increase my transfer limit temporarily.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2021, 03:02 PM   #11691
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Just link up your bank accounts (will need to wait about 2 business days if they aren't already linked) and then just transfer it between institutions.

You may need to call in depending on which bank you use if you're pushing. But if you're pulling, there shouldn't be any issue.
thanks for this, i gotta all one of my banks and get them linked!
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 04:30 PM   #11692
MG1

Last edited by MG1; 01-23-2021 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:01 PM   #11693
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
What's a good way to watch Chinese and HK dramas? A few years ago I set my parents' phones up with an app called vChannel that loaded shows via RSS feed. But over time there are more and more ads and some shows don't load or even cast to the Chromecast properly.

Can anyone recommend anything that would be easy to use? Some sort of an Android box?
I installed Kodi with icdrama for my parents so that they can watch recorded Korean, HK and Taiwan drama/variety shows.
cafe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2021, 12:45 AM   #11694

Is there a live TV option? I know there's those android boxes with live streaming but the one I got my rents doesn't have a stream that accounts for time zones, so all the shows they might be interested in are on at like 5am
Old 01-24-2021, 08:57 AM   #11695
Need my Daily Fix of RS

A lot of the Hong Kong channels block live IPTV. My parents had a TvPad box for about 3 years but last year, all the channels stopped working.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2021, 09:16 AM   #11696

Ah I think the one my parents have is a mypad or happy pad something stupid like that, the live stations still work it's just based on HK/China time :/

I know tvb has their own android device now, even an app, maybe I'll just look at getting them one of those
Old 01-24-2021, 09:24 AM   #11697
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Yeah that's why I switched to icdrama for HK/China related shows. They are pretty active so they can watch HK news during dinner on the same day.

I heard TVB's android service is pretty shit. TVB itself has gone downhill the past 5 years IMO.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2021, 09:32 AM   #11698
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
Stylin, dunno if your parents have TV service but Telus if offering free multi culctural packages for the entire term of new TV contracts.

Of course that means paying for a TV contract if you were used to getting it for free over an Android box etc
Old 01-24-2021, 09:44 AM   #11699
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark0821 View Post

I woke up today almost depressed? I dont want to use the word depressed, as I dont want to take away from people actually suffering from depression. I know it is a serious mental issue. And personally I am no where near that, maybe just woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

I don't know whats going wrong but I think I am losing interest as an enthuasist, just the hobby is expensive, looked down upon by my peers and family (except my wife), and the whole VI thing not looking to end anytime soon.

In some cases, it seems like the car thing is holding me back from achieving "more meaningful" goals in my life if you catch my drift? Like... lets pluck down 80k on a M2... or 80k can get you ahead in alot of other things... maybe its the kids growing older and not sure where the extra income is going to come from to cover all the extra expenses, the mortgage is only 8 years out of the 35 year term...

Just seems that, even thought Im getting a raise every year, it feels like I am actually less wealthy every year. Keep pinching and saving where I could and money seems to go out faster than it is coming back in....

and for people who read this long into this unorganized, no point rant, thank you.

Fudge....
Hey man, I can empathize with this. I think that with COVID and just everyone social distancing, that human connection between others has just been lost. I almost feel like I'm just spinning my tires on some days where every day is sort of the same and things get boring.

It's super shitty and I think everyone gets that way every once in a while. Money doesn't mean happiness but it does help. Maybe it's time to branch out and see what other things you like if the current hobby is boring?

Easier said than done but maybe try gaming?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2021, 11:26 AM   #11700
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,574 Times in 1,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark0821 View Post

Fudge....
Get into something physical. Lifting, a martial arts, something strenuous.

I've found that always has helped my seasonal depression, big time.

The toys will only make you happy temporarily, you'll get bored of the toy, and then look for the next thing to replace it. It's a never-ending chase.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: