REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-26-2022, 06:27 AM   #14626
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,185 Times in 968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
I really gotta try this stuff. Im a bit worried i might be rubbing dust and dirt onto the paint... or in this case the wrap... but ill give it a shot this winter.
Optimum says its safe for wrapped cars including matte colours (https://www.optimumforums.org/topic/...apped-vehicle/)

It will feel really weird using it because the way you use it goes against everything you've been taught about washing cars. I use the Big Red Sponge (https://carzilla.ca/products/optimum-big-red-sponge) and I was always told not to use sponges on paint but, damn, it works! Just drag that sucker over my paint and there's no scratches or marks at all.

It's been a few years since I started using ONR and I still can't believe it works.

It's also a great general purpose product - it can clean windows and your interior, it works as a clay lube etc.
Advertisement
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2022, 08:31 AM   #14627
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 8,826 Times in 3,181 Posts
but wait a minute,

so you got this big tub of water + optimum and then you dip said sponge into the bucket, wash the panel/area and then you.....

REDIP IT INTO THE BUCKET!? doesnt that water bucket get dirty in like 2 seconds and arent you just washing your car with literally the equivalent of a hobo squeegee at this point? how does this not scratch the paint ? all the particles/dirt on the sponge will surely leave marks doesnt it?
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2022, 08:41 AM   #14628

Thanked 2,185 Times in 968 Posts
Quote:
but wait a minute,

so you got this big tub of water + optimum and then you dip said sponge into the bucket, wash the panel/area and then you.....

REDIP IT INTO THE BUCKET!? doesnt that water bucket get dirty in like 2 seconds and arent you just washing your car with literally the equivalent of a hobo squeegee at this point? how does this not scratch the paint ? all the particles/dirt on the sponge will surely leave marks doesnt it?
That's exactly how it works if you use a Big Red Sponge (BRS) and it's crazy. The way it works is that ONR has these polymers in it that encapsulates the dirt and when you put the sponge back in the bucket the dirt releases from the sponge (give it a couple good squeezes) and sinks to the bottom. Swear to god it works.

If you don't use the BRS (or its cousin, the Big Black Sponge which is for those who like it "bigger and blacker") then you can use 5-6 microfibre cloths per wash and don't dip those back in the bucket.

Edit: If you want to try some out I can drop off a little bottle for you next time I'm in Richmond (as long as the earthquake and flood hasn't shown up). I've got a gallon jug of the stuff.

Last edited by supafamous; 10-26-2022 at 08:47 AM.
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2022, 10:23 AM   #14629

Appreciate the offer bro. I just bought the 32oz off Amazon. I got a sponge but I think I’ll buy that big black sponge of yours and just try it.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:59 AM   #14630
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,961 Times in 3,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Cover your car and stink bugs will find their way in there................ actually, those vial creatures from hell will find their way into anything.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...6BAgFEAE&nis=8
I also worry about mice or mold. I like being able to easily see in the windows or pop the hood and take a look. A mouse in there unchecked for a couple months will do far more damage than the extra UV exposure will.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 09:49 PM   #14631
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thinking of maybe transporting a vehicle from here / Washington State to LA for a trip but wanted to get an idea on the cost for an enclosed transport. Does anyone here have experience with this and know who to go with and what I should expect?
radeonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 07:41 AM   #14632
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,622 Times in 5,179 Posts
I haven't moved cars from Seattle to LA specifically... but prices have doubled in recent years for transpo in the USA, especially if you want enclosed... you're gonna pay $2500 easy. I can't imagine why anyone who isn't a sheik would do this.

Just go on Turo and find something equivalent to rent instead.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2022, 09:42 AM   #14633
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,426 Times in 920 Posts
Are there any additional storage things I need to do when storing in a Condo? I think I need to worry about mice & buying a cover?

I'm in P2 and roughly 30 second walk from the front gates.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 10:42 AM   #14634
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,622 Times in 5,179 Posts
I am also in a condo and have had multuple cars for long periods of time in storage... if it's a newer place I wouldn't be too worried about mice at all... they tend to hang out more by the garbage rooms than anything car related.

I just unplug my negative battery terminal to preserve the battery... I've had good results trying to stick to a fairly regular start-up schedule, running to warm once a week... if I leave cars sitting for a long long time without running them at all, you get a lot of issues start creeping up.

Honestly in a condo setting, I don't really see the point of using a cover. I used to cover my 68 Mustang but not anymore... yes after 6 months it gets dusty and I need to wash it, but the ease of access and not being scratched by the cover itself trapping stuff makes up for it in my opinion. Covers are more for outside with sun and whatnot I feel.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2022, 12:08 PM   #14635
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,426 Times in 920 Posts
For the last few years, I never started it up once fuel stabilizer was in, remove battery and put it on a tender. The last 5 years it started up with no issues at all, knock on wood. But it was garage stored where it was warmer.

Yeah, the dust wouldn't bother me anyways since I wash and re-wax/seal ever year anyways.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 01:03 PM   #14636
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Now that the weather is colder, we are starting to turn on the heat. We have in-loor hydronic radiant heating but noticed that it's not heating up the entire area. There are certain "deadzones" such as the bedrooms. Is there maintenance required for this tyep of system and are there solutions other than ripping up the flooring to replace the tubes?
xxxrsxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 04:00 PM   #14637
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,202 Times in 7,174 Posts
Probably will get good info in the real estate thread from some of the resident heating/handymen that post a lot in there.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 06:57 PM   #14638
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
For the last few years, I never started it up once fuel stabilizer was in, remove battery and put it on a tender. The last 5 years it started up with no issues at all, knock on wood. But it was garage stored where it was warmer.

Yeah, the dust wouldn't bother me anyways since I wash and re-wax/seal ever year anyways.
Same, I actually don't start up my car at all.
I've read this is actually not good unless you're able to actually drive it and warm it up. If not, don't just let it idle and turn it off, that's worse.

My car's stored in the garage, but I leave the hood open. I figured that would actually make mice not want to hide there since it's not an enclosed space.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 07:11 PM   #14639

Thanked 4,855 Times in 1,785 Posts
It is far better to start your car up periodically, even if it doesn't get to operating temps, than it is to sit.

Keeps oil in the bearings and valvetrain, keeps seals from drying out. This is common sense.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions

Last edited by Great68; 10-27-2022 at 07:57 PM.
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 07:16 PM   #14640
in the butt

Thanked 3,252 Times in 1,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
It is far better to start your car up periodically, even if it doesn't get to operating temps, than it is to sit.

Keeps oil in the bearings and valvetrain, keeps seals from dying out. This is common sense.
I'm with great68

Azn, you have a link to just starting up your car being bad

Im not a car mechanic, but I've heard thousands of compressors and motors start at work.
After being off for 2-3 seasons, I can tell you older equipment does not like the first start up of the season

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 09:09 PM   #14641
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
I'm with great68

Azn, you have a link to just starting up your car being bad

Im not a car mechanic, but I've heard thousands of compressors and motors start at work.
After being off for 2-3 seasons, I can tell you older equipment does not like the first start up of the season
Maybe this only applies to classic hot rods?:
https://journal.classiccars.com/2018...inter-storage/

This one sounds like there's just two different theories:
https://vehq.com/how-often-should-yo...ar-in-storage/

I personally put in fuel stabilzer, fresh oil, and use a battery tender. My car isn't insured so driving it around isn't an option, and articles I read made it sound like I should drive it around if I'm going to fire it up, especially to keep the battery charged (not applicable to me).

I'm not a mechanic either, so I could have interpret it wrong. This is just how I've been storing my car over the past 2 winters.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2022, 10:14 PM   #14642
in the butt

Thanked 3,252 Times in 1,191 Posts
The articles aren't wrong, that's for sure

Gives you something to think about for your first world problems

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 10:49 PM   #14643
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,055 Times in 1,930 Posts
Good! Thank you Horgan and Eby!

BC won't support bid for 2030 Olympics!

https://vancouversun.com/news/bc-not...-2030-olympics
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 11:38 PM   #14644
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,528 Times in 4,912 Posts
With a possible recession on the horizon, it might be a wise choice. Nobody can predict how things will be like in the future. Let some other province or country take their chances.

I think it's a responsible move. The local indigenous leaders are pissed off, but something tells me when shit hits the fan, the tax payers will be holding the bag and they'll just bail.

just my humble opinion
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 12:41 AM   #14645
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,407 Times in 5,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
With a possible recession on the horizon, it might be a wise choice. Nobody can predict how things will be like in the future. Let some other province or country take their chances.

I think it's a responsible move. The local indigenous leaders are pissed off, but something tells me when shit hits the fan, the tax payers will be holding the bag and they'll just bail.

just my humble opinion
Of course there would have been. The indigenous people were gonna foot the tax payers of this province with a mult-billion dollar bill in the name of reconciliation.
Old 10-28-2022, 07:20 AM   #14646

Thanked 1,204 Times in 488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxrsxxx View Post
Now that the weather is colder, we are starting to turn on the heat. We have in-loor hydronic radiant heating but noticed that it's not heating up the entire area. There are certain "deadzones" such as the bedrooms. Is there maintenance required for this tyep of system and are there solutions other than ripping up the flooring to replace the tubes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Probably will get good info in the real estate thread from some of the resident heating/handymen that post a lot in there.
Coincidentally, there's recently discussions here
https://www.revscene.net/forums/7176...-included.html
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 10:35 AM   #14647

https://kotaku.com/adidas-the-simpso...eme-1849712734

As a huge fan of the simpsons, THESE SHOES ARE MINE !!!!!!!

This post thanked by:
Old 10-28-2022, 12:55 PM   #14648

Thanked 4,855 Times in 1,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Maybe this only applies to classic hot rods?:
https://journal.classiccars.com/2018...inter-storage/

This one sounds like there's just two different theories:
https://vehq.com/how-often-should-yo...ar-in-storage/

I personally put in fuel stabilzer, fresh oil, and use a battery tender. My car isn't insured so driving it around isn't an option, and articles I read made it sound like I should drive it around if I'm going to fire it up, especially to keep the battery charged (not applicable to me).

I'm not a mechanic either, so I could have interpret it wrong. This is just how I've been storing my car over the past 2 winters.
I read that article as more of an opinion piece rather than providing any actual measured fact.
The concerns about oil dilution is somewhat valid, but to the extent it might be detrimental is probably pretty negligible, especially if the oil is fresh when the car goes into storage. And yeah it's probably more an issue to old carbureted cars which run extremely pig rich when they're cold, compared to modern fuel injected cars.

I think it's FAR more damaging to an engine for seals and bearings to go dry than any effect fuel dilution could cause.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 08:01 PM   #14649
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,655 Times in 2,306 Posts
best neighborhood in Burnaby for trick or treating?

hopefully it dosent rain this year
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 08:41 PM   #14650
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,171 Times in 1,552 Posts
Quote:
https://kotaku.com/adidas-the-simpso...eme-1849712734

As a huge fan of the simpsons, THESE SHOES ARE MINE !!!!!!!

I bought the Duff sneakers last year, and looking forward to this pair!