REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Flashing High Beams (https://www.revscene.net/forums/653516-flashing-high-beams.html)

mtnrat 09-14-2011 07:18 AM

Flashing High Beams

Like this story.

Florida driver sues for right to flash headlights at speed traps | Wheels.ca

jackal 09-15-2011 01:42 AM

honestly people are so fucking stupid about flashing headlights...

driving northbound on knight at 49th at 4 am i come up on a car with its lights off. i flash is a bunch, no luck. i give it a few more, still no luck. but driver decides to slow right down to a crawl. at this point i give up and pass by on the right. pull to a red at 41st and the driver and his wife are both giving me the finger... really???

honestly if you getting flashed from behind, turn your fucking lights on. if your getting flashed by oncoming, slow the fuck down then check to make sure you highbeams are off. hard?

and on the flashing for speed traps. dumbest shit ever. radio stations anounce speed traps all day long do they get fined? :speechless:

wing_woo 09-15-2011 08:38 AM

What sucks is that most new cars have the dash light up once you turn on the car and has one small green light to tell you that your headlights are on. So, the oblivious people won't ever turn on their headlights or will forget to turn it on because they can see their speed. I remember when I first started driving, I'd forget to turn on my lights sometimes but once I look at my speedometer, I'll know cause I can't see anything.

jlenko 09-15-2011 05:38 PM

The car manufacturers should be shot for doing that... stupidest idea ever.

Automatic lights for the dumbasses is one thing.. but the lit-up dash seems to make them think their exterior lights are actually on.

Nlkko 09-15-2011 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 7578635)
honestly people are so fucking stupid about flashing headlights...

driving northbound on knight at 49th at 4 am i come up on a car with its lights off. i flash is a bunch, no luck. i give it a few more, still no luck. but driver decides to slow right down to a crawl. at this point i give up and pass by on the right. pull to a red at 41st and the driver and his wife are both giving me the finger... really???

Courtesy to other drivers should be the first thing to be taught to young drivers. Evidently not, so we have dbags trying to impede other drivers just to piss them off.

Slowing down to a crawl is a obviously a dick move. Sometimes there's just not much you can do.

sebberry 09-15-2011 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 7579204)
The car manufacturers should be shot for doing that... stupidest idea ever.

Automatic lights for the dumbasses is one thing.. but the lit-up dash seems to make them think their exterior lights are actually on.

My gauges are illuminated red and white - I like them, they're always illuminated. I leave my headlight switch in the "corner marker" position during the day and flip to low-beams at night. I never flip the switch off, corner markers (tails and amber lights at front) turn off with the car.

Easiest thing ever. I don't know how people can be so silly about their lights. Car makers shouldn't be forced to use gauge clusters that only light up when the head/tail lights are on just to cater to stupid people.

Gh0stRider 09-15-2011 10:14 PM

Flashing from behind could also mean gtfo. Maybe they misunderstood what you meant?
Posted via RS Mobile

Szeto 09-15-2011 11:15 PM

another problem is the roads are well lit.... like Garden city

Raid3n 09-16-2011 12:12 AM

i usually see clai's driving around in the city with their highbeams on cause the streets aren't lit up like a christmas tree....

jackal 09-16-2011 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gh0stRider (Post 7579468)
Flashing from behind could also mean gtfo. Maybe they misunderstood what you meant?
Posted via RS Mobile

on a 3 lane road at 4 am?

Soundy 09-16-2011 08:27 AM

Going waaaaay back to the original article... I thought the whole point of speed enforcement was to get people to slow down. If you flash your high beams and oncoming cars slow down... isn't that what we want?

Gh0stRider 09-16-2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 7579605)
on a 3 lane roanot tald at 4 am?

Normally. Not that instance
Posted via RS Mobile

Psykopathik 09-16-2011 09:14 AM

they can ding you for"improper use of high beams" .

the news announces speed traps all day anyways, so there is no law prohibiting warning of speed monitoring ahead.

i have even seen a big cardboard sign on the road saying "radar trap ahead" lol

jackal 09-17-2011 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbo E (Post 7579792)
they can ding you for"improper use of high beams" .

i don't see that as improper use. your comunicating with other drivers on the road. sort of like saying beeping a horn to say hi/by to someone is improper use of a horn.

sebberry 09-17-2011 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7579746)
Going waaaaay back to the original article... I thought the whole point of speed enforcement was to get people to slow down. If you flash your high beams and oncoming cars slow down... isn't that what we want?

Are you finally seeing the light (no pun intended).

If it was about slowing people down, then the police should be thanking drivers for flashing their lights, not fining them.

Headlight flashers cause a reduction in speed fine revenue, what better way to make up fo it than to nab the flasher?

sebberry 09-17-2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 7580648)
i don't see that as improper use. your comunicating with other drivers on the road. sort of like saying beeping a horn to say hi/by to someone is improper use of a horn.

Exactly. Since the police (allegedly) only set up speed traps in high crash locations, you're simply warning the oncoming driver that they're entering a high crash location. It just so happens that there's a policeman there too.

Soundy 09-17-2011 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7580763)
Are you finally seeing the light (no pun intended).

Yes, but it's not the same swirly lights you see, O Holier-Than-Thou.

Quote:

If it was about slowing people down, then the police should be thanking drivers for flashing their lights, not fining them.

Headlight flashers cause a reduction in speed fine revenue, what better way to make up fo it than to nab the flasher?
Well then, you should take your crusade to a Florida-based board, where this story was based... I've never heard of BC cops nabbing people for doing this.

Go ahead, and don't worry, nobody here will miss you.

Bainne 09-22-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7581104)

Well then, you should take your crusade to a Florida-based board, where this story was based... I've never heard of BC cops nabbing people for doing this.

Actually I kid you not, this past winter (2011), I encountered a speed trap on the other side of the road along 64th Ave. just after the HWY 10 exit. I flashed my lights (OFF to ON a few times, not high beams) at on coming traffic as I usually do.

An unmarked cruiser was in a pack that came around the corner. The officer activated her lights and was wagging her fist. She continued down the road - to a break in the barrier, attempting to turn around it appeared.

I simply drove on, and never did get pulled over, as my route took me off 64th a little further ahead. However given her zeal with the emergency lights, excited hand gestures and attempt to turn around further down the road - I surmised later she may have had it in her head to give me (at the very least) a hotly worded lecture if the road conditions have been more favorable for her uturn :whistle:

Could one not be ticketed for "stunting" for flashing their lights? Causing a distraction to other drivers, however loose the connection to headlamps blinking.

G35_ 10-22-2011 11:19 AM

Good karma to flash

Simnut 10-22-2011 06:22 PM

People shouldn't be speeding in the first place and then we don't "need" to flash our lights to warn 'em! :D

If everyone drove the way I should, there wouldn't need to be any police! :D

FerrariEnzo 10-23-2011 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wing_woo (Post 7578751)
What sucks is that most new cars have the dash light up once you turn on the car

STILL, at night, the DRL isnt powerful enough to light the damn road...

wing_woo 10-24-2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo (Post 7625679)
STILL, at night, the DRL isnt powerful enough to light the damn road...

Yeah, which is why I say it sucks that the dash lights up when you turn on the car. The people who drive at night with DRLs only won't know they didn't turn on their lights cause they can see their speedo perfectly fine.

DarkVerses 10-24-2011 11:17 AM

More people should flash for a speed trap. If it becomes more of a constant then the cops will have even less power to go after the people as it becomes common.

Raid3n 10-24-2011 12:00 PM

it's nothing new, it's been around for decades...