REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

View Poll Results: Who do you think will win the presidential election?
Obama 101 61.59%
Ron Paul 36 21.95%
Rick Perry 7 4.27%
Mitt Romney 2 1.22%
Rick Santorum 0 0%
Jon Huntsman 1 0.61%
Michele Bachmann 1 0.61%
Herman Cain 0 0%
Newt Gingrich 1 0.61%
Sarah Palin / Trump ...? 15 9.15%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2011, 02:38 PM   #26
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Perry would be worse than Obama, yet Obama needs to go... so in short: the US is fucked.
Advertisement
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:02 PM   #27
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Obama wins.

Who I would like to see become President - Kucinich. Much like Ron Paul, his party Ignores him. The US would also have the youngest/hottest First Lady ever - Elizabeth Kucinich who is 33 yrs old, tall, and a redhead.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:11 PM   #28
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Ron Paul has no chance in hell to become the President. His son had some potential but he's made some idiotic comments in his past which basically pissed away his presidential aspirations.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #29
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Judging by how many people said Obama.... they really need to watch the obama deception on youtube.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:30 PM   #30

You wonder why they also manipulated his debate results when he got 50 something precent and the second guy got 18% yet the bar graph showed him almost equal with the 18% guy?
You think the media might be owned by a group of people that want the US to fail? You think they are going to keep saying he doesn't have a chance so people will vote for mr.rockstar perry?
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
i missed the part of the debate where he got some boos

but i read an article going 'OMG RON PAUL GOT BOOED OUT OF THE DEBATES PPL HATE HIM HAHAHA' and i was like "oh no really?"

then i watched the debate today and i was like not a lot of ppl booed and they booed before he explained himself

anyway as has been said before whenever we bring up Ron Paul this time around im shocked @ how the Impartial Media has joined forces in blacklisting him
Old 09-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #31

I fully support that, there is no need for FEMA if the national guard was not overseas grow/guarding opium. The EPA wants to tax you for breathing. Do you think they have your best interests in mind?

Obama is pushing for a citizens army much like nazi germany did. Now why do you think the US needs this? Might it be for the riots that are about to come because of the bailout money he's going to keep pumping out?
People that vote for Obama have no idea he is trying to take away liberty and change peoples rights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post

He also wants to get rid of Fema and the EPA.

Ron Paul?! - YouTube

Last edited by Death2Theft; 09-15-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:44 PM   #32
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
^

Why am I not surprised a Nazi reference would be made in a thread that would involve Obama (reductio ad Hitlerum fallacy), but that's beside the point. Personally, I'm indifferent on who wins for now, I've been having a bit of a hard time finding candidate platforms outside the coles' notes in this thread.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:03 PM   #33
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
I've been having a bit of a hard time finding candidate platforms outside the coles' notes in this thread.
Rick Perry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Political positions of Ron Paul - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Political positions of Barack Obama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:43 PM   #34
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,381 Times in 3,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
I fully support that, there is no need for FEMA if the national guard was not overseas grow/guarding opium. The EPA wants to tax you for breathing. Do you think they have your best interests in mind?

Obama is pushing for a citizens army much like nazi germany did. Now why do you think the US needs this? Might it be for the riots that are about to come because of the bailout money he's going to keep pumping out?
People that vote for Obama have no idea he is trying to take away liberty and change peoples rights.
What about the department of education? do you think they should get rid of that too?
Old 09-15-2011, 10:56 PM   #35
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I only agree with some of Ron Paul's policies, I like huntsman and Romney.

I think it will come down to Obama and Romney, and I think Obama will win.

None of the choices are my ideal candidates, but based on the options, I would pick Obama.

I just think the policies the others are proposing, especially the social and economic policies will not serve the average person better in the long run.

I'll post more some other time.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:07 PM   #36

I agree with Ron Paul and his stance on war.

It still shocks me that America can spend $2 billion a week on the wars but let close to 50 million Americans fall below the poverty line. Shocking.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2011, 05:18 AM   #37
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Latest Reuters Ipsos poll comparing chances that the Republican candidates have if they faced Obama

Quote:
1. Mitt Romney 43% Obama 49%
2. Ron Paul 42% Obama 49%
3. Rick Perry 42% Obama 50%
4. Huntsman 37% Obama 51%
5. Bachman 36% Obama 54%
Ipsos/ Reuters Poll: September 2011 | Ipsos
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:47 AM   #38
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Dean View Post
I agree with Ron Paul and his stance on war.

It still shocks me that America can spend $2 billion a week on the wars but let close to 50 million Americans fall below the poverty line. Shocking.
Don't get too shocked. The poverty line in the US is 22000 before any gov't assistance programs.

No, you aren't a baller, but 22000 can be workable in some places in the states-like the flyover states.

Now, add in health care, or lack thereof and its an issue.

I read a stat the other day that 1 in 25 "below poverty line" people will experience a transitional period of homelessness.

These aren't 50 million beggars on the streets, India style that we are talking about here.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:05 AM   #39
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Nm. Read the post wrong. Lol.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #40
Banned By Establishment

I don't think Ron Paul will get the support to become president. I don't even really want that to happen. I really don't like some of his other stances on things like abortion and hard right social issues.

I do hope that he gets enough support to be a legitimate vp candidate, or even Treasury secretary.

If you have someone like Romney that runs a little center for republican tastes, a little hard right on the ticket might just be the money.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #41
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Dean View Post
The US Poverty line for a single person is $11K/yr. This is less than working full time for $6/hr after taxes.

I hate the definition of "poor" when I see help wanted signs at minimum wage jobs. If people were truly "poor" these jobs would be filled, instead many (not all, don't misquote me) of these "poor" people are just looking for handouts.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #42
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Don't get too shocked. The poverty line in the US is 22000 before any gov't assistance programs.
That's the figure for a family of 4. If both parents worked full time for minimum wage, they'd make more than that after taxes.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #43
Banned By Establishment

The same problem they have, we have.

One, you can make a certain amount of money, and then it starts coming off your checks.

So, I can work 10 hours or whatever, but the 11th, I might as well stay home.

Inherit to the design of the system is no incentive to end the entitlement.

Honestly, I don't have the answer. You can put caps in, but then you really do drive people to the poor house. I think the only thing that really works in the system, is the social stigma of being "that guy".

I think instead of having blanket qualifications, it should be on a needs assessment, where someone should be able to say no. However, that takes manpower, and now we're paying people to administrate and it costs more than just accepting "fraud" in the system.

I get really angry about it. We get tenants coming in that are on assistance, and you just want to ask, why? Sorry, I'm a little intense on tenancy these days, but its how I interact with these people. I have a single mother that lives a clean life, goes to school and I have no doubt will have a day where she's running on her own power. That's a win! We have a dude that sits and watches tv on his big screen, plays video games and the "government owes him" all the fucking time. That's a lose.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:41 AM   #44
Banned By Establishment

In terms of the republican field, they have some really weak players right now.

Bachman's a huge no. I think it will be Perry at the end, and I don't know if they'll go with a Governor from Texas again.

As much as I really don't like the republican party, I kinda hope for someone moderate and mainstream as I think Obama has done a poor job as president. People got so excited about him as a person, that he gives eloquent speeches and really appeals as a type of "every man", that they forgot to listen to what he was saying.

I have said, and will continue to say that at this point, whatever happens, they are fucked.

Seriously.

The republicans continue to beat the drum of cutting taxes for the rich, or maintaining their current rates and definitely not increasing them. It ain't working! So, it becomes a little obvious that they are there to help themselves, and their friends. It worked in the 80's, under a dramatically different tax base. Their taxes were super high, comparitively. In that case, they can use that money to invest.

30 years later, that invest that money ship has sailed.

And heaven forbid we do something foolish like have health care for the people of the country. It's down right Marxist.

The democrats under Obama are just as bad. Bush handed out 700 billion in TARP(which at least they got back), Obama hands out 800 billion never to be seen again, and then wonders why they might wantto have a debate about raising the debt ceiling. His answer? More billions in QE 1 and 2, and now 500 billion on a jobs bill, that doesn't stand a chance of actually creating jobs. If 800 billion didn't cut it, what makes you think more money is the answer?

If you want to create jobs, you need to work with job creators. They aren't always the rich guys. Its the guy that started a business for $1000, and to build it, he needs $10,000. He can't go to a bank, because that $1000 or whatever is on his credit card...he literally threw everything he had at his plan.

Those are the guys that create jobs. He needs less regulation, and a system that works.

He has counties that get in his way with taxes, forms licenses and fees. He has a city or two in his way, wanting their slice. He has a state that wants their piece and the feds, well they want to give 500 million to the fancy guys making solar panels.

So frustrating. We won't be able to avoid it here forever.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #45
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
The same problem they have, we have.

One, you can make a certain amount of money, and then it starts coming off your checks.

So, I can work 10 hours or whatever, but the 11th, I might as well stay home.
If you mean once you make X amount you nolonger qualify for benefits, then yes I agree.
If you're talking about taxes, then no I do not agree.

Quote:
Inherit to the design of the system is no incentive to end the entitlement.

Honestly, I don't have the answer.
I don't think there is "the" answer, just an answer that works with your values.

Quote:
Sorry, I'm a little intense on tenancy these days, but its how I interact with these people.
I used to live across from subsidized low income housing. One of the houses had a 50" flat screen TV, meanwhile I was doing the right ting and saving my money, paying down my mortgage/loans, and I couldn't afford a 50" TV. Maybe if less of my tax dollars subsidized that unit's rent, I could afford the TV and they wouldn't be able to.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:19 PM   #46
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
might be a stupid question because i dont follow american politics.

can anyone give a coles notes for each person?

only heard of Ron Paul cuz iirc he predicted financial meltdown - but nobody cared. and obviously obama.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:55 PM   #47

Too many things to list but wikipedia Perry and Mitt because those two are the only ones you should care about right now.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2011, 03:51 PM   #48
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
I have said, and will continue to say that at this point, whatever happens, they are fucked.

Seriously.

that's why they need someone like Ron Paul to come in and stir shit up and try to fix it

anyone else will just be more of the same; they'll just be stepping on the gas towards their destination (3rd world)
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:11 PM   #49

What obama has done so far.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #50
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,553 Times in 1,706 Posts
Unless the economy COMPLETELY tanks before 2012, Obama will win re-election. While he definitely has not brought the "change" he promised on the campaign trail, he is still far more moderate than the Republican field.

The mouth breathing lot the Republicans have running I doubt have any chance of winning.

But this is the United States, so you never know.

You know what I find interesting though? How the media hype machine has gone full steam on Rick Perry. The guy went from not even running or participating in any debates, to becoming the front runner for the Republicans.

Do you honestly think Perry was able to get his name out that quickly to appeal to the voting public? This guy was a general unknown, now he's the front runner that quickly? I blame both the left and rightwing media for this, it's a fake hype that catches on with people, and eventually you see a guy like Perry leading the shit show.

Very shady stuff, but when you see the media hype machine go into full drive like this, you know there's money behind it. For this reason it would not surprise me the slightest if Perry ends up getting the nomination, and either beats Obama, or gives him a hell of a run.

It's mindblowing because Perry is Bush 2.0 times ten. Americans couldn't wait to get rid of Bush, and now folks supposedly want Perry in? Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Americans seem to enjoy being fooled, so you never know.

What always blows my mind is how Americans don't call these guys out for their bullshit. Perry is campaigning on destroying government. Can you imagine applying for a job that you wanted to get rid of? What company in the world would hire you? Perry wants government gone, yet this asshole has been a career politician. Government is so terrible to this guy, yet he has spent his career working for it. He will retire wealthy, with a golden pension by an institution he so desprately wants to see rid of. Why is what has been so good for him, is so bad for the rest of America? People need to start calling these far-right Republicans out on this bullshit hypocracy.

Obama is little better though, at the end of the day I'm starting to wonder, who the fuck cares who gets in? Money talks, politics are driven by lobbyists, the money behind the scenes are what drives both parties. Either way the common people's interests will never be met until that money is removed from campaigns.

Besides, the way Obama is going, you don't need a Republican as president, he's doing all the things they are campaigning for anyways.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote