REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Honda / Acura Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/honda-acura-tech-resources_310/)
-   -   What Honda to replace my 01 GSR? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/653829-what-honda-replace-my-01-gsr.html)

sas 09-18-2011 08:43 PM

What Honda to replace my 01 GSR?

Having a hard time to replace my DC2 and would like to hear suggestions. Already ruled out the Prelude, RSX S.
The only car I have in mind from Honda would be the S and an ITR. Problem is, dont want to spend $$ on a 10 year old car. Just doesnt seem smart spending that much on an old car, even though it's an ARRGH.

Budget is around 15. Wish I liked the RSX S, it would make this migration path easier.
Interested to hear from TSX owners and fits.
Posted via RS Mobile

Jgresch 09-18-2011 08:48 PM

Buy ITR, they have started to plateau in value so if you were to buy now and sell in 2 years, chances are if you keep it clean you will get back what you paid for it.

oldsnail 09-18-2011 09:08 PM

CSX-S , they are rarer , but i've seen a few between 15-20k for 07's... similar engine spec as RSXS but standard with 4 seats, lsd, gps and voice command..

if not, the regular CSX's are in that range... but i will look towards 04 + tsx if you look for a non-s csx.

I have a Ep3 civic.. i had a gsr at one point in time and the ep3 civic feels grown up overall.

sas 09-18-2011 09:31 PM

Grown up.. Yeah that's exactly what I need to do lol
Why get the CSX though? If Im not getting the Type S, wouldn't I be better off with a Civic?

How do you like the EP3? Did you find it lacking in feel vs the GSR?
In all honesty, I have a bad feeling ill end up with an ITR. Especially if its in CW with the CAD red interior. This is actually my third GSR
Posted via RS Mobile

jaemc 09-19-2011 12:50 PM

Acura TSX's are definitely great cars and within your price range. It depends on what you are looking for I guess. For more luxury go for the TSX if you want sporty then go for the RSX-S. I owned an RSX-S before, tons of fun both acuras aren't that expensive on maintenance either.

Tapioca 09-19-2011 01:28 PM

I know this is a Honda thread (and I might get failed for this), but why stick with Honda?

I've never driven a DC2, but I've had a DB2 for almost 10 years. Last year, I bought an old BMW for kicks and now, the DB2 sits in my parents' garage uninsured. There's nothing wrong with my DB2, but after a while, the typical Honda road noise and buzzy engines become grating (even with VTEC) after a while.

The first gen TSX is by all accounts one of the best cars Honda has made over the last decade. But, if your budget is 15K, why not take the plunge and get something like an E46? Unless you do all of the wrenching yourself, maintenance is about the same on a BMW.

Limitless 09-19-2011 04:20 PM

Non type S vs Si, CSX has a 2.0 engine and 15 more hp over the Civics, they look better and may also have leather and navi which aren't options for 8th gen Civics if I'm not mistaken.

sas 09-19-2011 09:53 PM

Actually, I haven't ruled out non Hondas. Quite the opposite opposite actually, as I can't really think of any Honda of late that I MUST have. In fact, if I had the funds, I'd grab the MS3 in a heart beat.

But I don't see how the BMW maintenance would be the same.. For starters, parts are more expensive and I know for a fact they take more than 4L per oil change.

I'll be test driving an EP3 again. First time around, I don't recall falling in love with it. Maybe now that I'm older, I'll appreciate other attributes.
Posted via RS Mobile

TjAlmeida 09-19-2011 10:36 PM

I think to make it easier for people you should elaborate a bit on what you are looking for?
Are you looking for a car that you can do a lot of spirited driving in.
Do you want a coupe or a sedan or does it matter.
What are your future plans for it, mod it etc or just keep a clean simple car.
is affordability and good mileage a deciding factor?

Only reason i think you should elaborate is because if you have not ruled out non honda's then that broadens your search quite a bit.

Good luck with your find and ITR's are pretty sex and it seems like they hold their value pretty well.

sas 09-19-2011 10:47 PM

Good question. I believe, I'm reluctant to let go of my GSR since it has a good blend of luxury and rawness to it.
Being a Honda fan boy, I'm trying hard to see what Honda is reasonably priced that would be fun to drive and easy to maintain.

My gripe with the RSX S is the high insurance and I can't afford the 05+ RSX. S
Looking mostly at sport compacts but the TSX is agile enough to be included.

Problem is, would you really spend 15+ on a RSX when you can grab a RWD 350Z for example?
Does this make somewhat sense?
Posted via RS Mobile

TjAlmeida 09-19-2011 10:52 PM

I would not buy either of those, i like AWD and 4 doors.

oldsnail 09-21-2011 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sas (Post 7582620)
Grown up.. Yeah that's exactly what I need to do lol
Why get the CSX though? If Im not getting the Type S, wouldn't I be better off with a Civic?

How do you like the EP3? Did you find it lacking in feel vs the GSR?
In all honesty, I have a bad feeling ill end up with an ITR. Especially if its in CW with the CAD red interior. This is actually my third GSR
Posted via RS Mobile

THe civic uses a 1.8L while the csx uses the 2.0L and shares alot of components on its jdm counterpart.

i wont get an ep3 again, gearing is short but it uses regular fuel... i myself would get a used tsx or a csx-s because they are both have niche 6 speeds, full of options..

no timing belts on these newer cars as well.

Tapioca 09-21-2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sas (Post 7583813)
Actually, I haven't ruled out non Hondas. Quite the opposite opposite actually, as I can't really think of any Honda of late that I MUST have. In fact, if I had the funds, I'd grab the MS3 in a heart beat.

But I don't see how the BMW maintenance would be the same.. For starters, parts are more expensive and I know for a fact they take more than 4L per oil change.
Posted via RS Mobile

Parts on routine maintenance items aren't that more expensive, particularly if you source them yourself (US suppliers) and if you find a shop who will do the labour for you. E46s can comfortably run up to 300K with just routine maintenance. Of course, oil changes will be a bit more expensive, but don't newer Hondas use synthetic nowadays too? Insurance rates will likely be similar too.

You may pay a bit more for maintenance, but the driving experience is completely different and much more enjoyable. You should find a couple of examples and see the difference for yourself.